Angelo Lanzo
Montreal Mafia
    Angelo Lanzo, a colossal of a man, started out as a doorman at a club ran by  mobster  Jimmy Orlando  and collecting  loanshark  payments for Giuseppe  Cocolicchio. He  impressed  his  superiors  and was  placed  in charge of several of  the organization's gambling joints. He was convicted in 1952 of  running the  Ramsay Club on  Bullion street, one of  the city's biggest gambling dens, and was sentenced to two months in prison. 

     When mob lieutenant Nicola "Cola" Di Iorio noticed Lanzo's talent, his importance  in  the  organization  increased  considerably. He  became  Di Iorio's closest confidant, privileged to the inner secret's of the mafia's top members. He was seen meeting with Vic Cotroni, the groups' leader, who only high-ranking members could meet with, and was placed in charge of several clubs, including  the 
Chez Paree, the  Café  Métropole, the  Little Club, and the Casa Del Sol.

     Police  arrested twenty individuals during  a raid  at  Lanzo's appartment on  Broadway  street in Notre-Dame-de-Grace  in November, 1966. According to  authorities, the  purpose of  the  meeting was to set up a network of bookmaking joints throughout the city for Expo '67. 

     In January, 1970, police  observed  as Lanzo, Di Iorio, and  Frank Dasti  made  a trip to Miami, Florida, where  they had  several  meetings  with  Gambino wiseguy  Guido Penosi, to discuss  and arrange the shipments of the drugs from Montreal to New York City.

     On May 29, 1972, police observed an important meeting  at the
Sirloin Barn between leaders of the organization. Present were Lanzo, Vic Cotroni, Paolo Violi, Nicola Di Iorio, William Obront, and Irving Goldstein.

     Surete du Quebec officers  testified  at  the  Quebec Inquiry into Organized  Crime (CECO) that Lanzo, along  with  Vic and  Frank Cotroni, Paolo Violi, Nicola  Di  Iorio, Luigi  Greco, and  Michel Pozza, made up the hierarchy of the Montreal Mafia.

     When the commission subpoenaed  Lanzo to appear before them, the mobster went  into hiding. He died of a coronary thrombosis on May 19, 1974, in an apartment where he was hiding out from testifying before the committee.