CUB SCOUT SPORTS: FISHING
Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts may complete requirements in a family, den, pack, school, or community environment. Tiger Cubs must work with their parents or adult partners. Parents and partners do not earn loops or pins.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE FISHING SPORTS BELT LOOP
Complete these three requirements:
- Review your local fishing regulations with your leader or adult partner. Explain why they are
important, and commit to following thenl
- Demonstrate how to properly bait a hook.
- Try to catch a fish.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE FISHING SPORTS PIN
Earn the Fishing beft loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Compete in a pack or connnunity fishing tournament
- Demonstrate how to clean a fish.
- Prepare a report on three different kinds of fish. Include information on preferred habitats, feeding habits, and recommended fishing techniques, baits, and equipment needed to catch it
- Draw a picture of three different types of fishing reels. Explain how each works.
- Tie three fishing flies. Use at least one to fish.
- Demonstrate proficiency in casting at a target 30 feet away.
- Select a species of fish and draw a picture of it, correctly labeling each part and its function.
- Replace the line in a fishing reel.
- Make a simple pole and line fishing rig. Use it to catch a fish.
- Catch a fish using artificial bait or lures.
- Practice:fishing on five occasions, complying with local fishing regulations and the Outdoor Code.
GENERAL SPORTS REQUIREMENTS
Following are the requirements for earning the Sports belts loops and pins.
- Belt loops and pins are earned only by Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts (not adults).
- The archery and BB-gun shooting belt loops and pins must be earned under BSA range-trained supervision. The BB-gun shooting loop and pin must be earned at a BSA facility range.
- Requirements may be adjusted to accommodate the special needs of Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts with disabilities.
- Webelos Scouts may earn a belt loop or pin a second time to qualify for Webelos activity badges.
- Boys may earn belt loops more than once; however, leaders should encourage boys to try different requirements and earn the pin. Packs should have a clear policy in place about whether the pack or the boy's family is responsible for the cost of awards earned more than once.
CUB-SAFE FISHING RESOURCES FOR KIDS
Bass Fishing - reports, contacts, fishing links, and info on lures.
The Fishing Network
Fishtales Kids Club - facts, tips and pictures about fishing for kids.
McKenzie Page - accumulation of Oregon flyfishing and outdoors stuff. Learn to tie some flies and see the Oregon outdoor photo album.
Saltwater Fishing Homepage - bulletin boards and resources.
[ Back To Top ]