Starting around 1900, the bridges were visited and made known to the general public by authors, photographers, and painters who were guided into the canyons by local ranchers. In 1904, National Geographic, sponsored an expedition to the area. In 1908, the bridges were popular enough for President Teddy Roosevelt to set aside the area as a National Monument. The first dirt road was extended to the monument in 1928. The road into Natural Bridges remained a dirt road until 1976 when the road department compleated highway 95, the bicentenial highway.