Revised Statutes of Newfoundland, 1952
An Act Respecting a National Flag for Newfoundland and Colours to be Worn by Vessels
1. This Act may be cited as the National Flag Act.
2. The Union Flag or Union Jack is hereby declared to be the National Flag of the Province of Newfoundland.
3. Wherever under any law or regulations it is provided that the proper National Colours shall be worn by vessels registered in Newfoundland the expression "National Colours" shall be taken to mean a Red Ensign with the Union in the upper canton next the staff and with the badge of Newfoundland (as described in the Schedule annexed hereto) emblazoned in the centre of the fly on a circular white ground.
4. The Union Flag with the badge of Newfoundland (as described in the Schedule annexed hereto) emblazoned in the centre thereof on a circular white ground by a green garland shall be flown by the Lieutenant-Governor or other Officer Administering the Government when embarked in a ship or vessel.
5. A Blue Ensign with the Union in the upper canton next the staff and with the badge of Newfoundland (as described in the Schedule annexed hereto) emblazoned in the centre of the fly on a circular white ground shall be worn by all vessels which are in the official service of Her Majesty's Government in Newfoundland. When such vessels are armed they shall also wear a Blue Pendant with the red St. George's Cross on a white ground in the upper part of the Pendant next to the mast.
6. The proportions of and designs and positions of badges upon Flags shall be in accordance with sealed patterns to be approved by the Lieutenant-Governor in Council and to be kept in the Department of Provincial Affairs.
Description of the Badge for Newfoundland Flags as approved by His Late Majesty King Edward VII, such approval having been conveyed through the Right Honourable the Secretary of State for the Colonies in a despatch bearing date the eighteenth day of May in the year nineteen hundred and four.
The Badge consists of a representation of Mercury, the God of Commerce and Merchandise, presenting to Britannia a Fishermen who in a kneeling attitude is offering the harvest of the sea; all as described in the Great Seal of the Colony. Above the device in a scroll are the words "Terra Nova" and below, the motto "Haec Tibi Dona Fero."
[EMBLEMS] [INDEX] [MASTER LIST]