Questions? or Application Request
| What is ZAP?
Oregon Zoo ZAP, Zoo Animal Presenters, is a two- year paid internship program for a group of teens interested in working with animals and children. During the first year, the ZAP Team takes animals to summer camps and after-school programs to give animal talks to kids. During the second year, ZAP members serve as counselors for the Zoo's Urban Nature Overnight Program. They teach kids camping skills and nature awareness.
Compensation and Hours
First Year: $7.05/hour: 20 hours/week summer, 5-10 hours/week school year
Second Year: $7.30/hour plus overtime for overnights:
25 hours summer, 5-10 school year.
The ZAP work schedule is very flexible and changes weekly.
· 15-17 year old must be 15 by June 1, 2004
· Eligible for Federal Free or Reduced Lunch or meet the income eligiblity. (questions see http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/governance/iegs/iegs.htm)
· Strong Commitment and Dedication
We are especially looking for candidates (not required)
· Have early release or flexible school schedule to be available for work by 2pm on school days.
· Strong interest in animals, nature and children
· child interaction
· team building
· public speaking
· animal handling
· basic biology
· administrative skills
· community skills
Animals we work with:
Return applications to:
ZAP Team?s Oregon Zoo
4001 SW Canyon Rd
Portland OR, 97221
Phone (503) 220-2790
Fax (503) 220-5712
Applications due POSTMARKED:
January 23, 2004: NO LATE EXCEPTIONS
Group Interviews I: Febuary 7-8
Group Interviews II: Febuary 14-16
Individual Interviews: Febuary 21-22
Positions Start: End of March
|You need both the Reference Sheet and the Application|
|Phone Number: 503-220-2790|
|Fax Number: 503-220-5712|