--Sophie Rosenstein--


Sopie at WB teaching Ross Ford and Delores Moran the art of the screen kiss


Sophie Rosenstein was born in Portland, Oregon in 1907.  At twelve she was the prize pupil of acting coach Josephine Dillon, who herself would become the first Mrs. Clark Gable.  Sophie studied at the University of Washington where she earned a Master's Degree and was on the staff for ten years.  She taught classes in speech and acting.

She married Arthur Gage, a wholesaler of women's hats in 1928.  Gage owned a little off-campus theater where Sophie could present experimental productions.  Frances triumphed in 'Uncle Vanya' at Gage's little theater.

In 1938, Frances arranged for Sophie to come to Hollywood to prepare an actress for a test.  Sophie became somewhat persona non grata at UW for her politics and free living, so she and Gage moved to Hollywood.   Arthur became a business manager (Frances was a client) and Sophie began work as drama instructor at Warner Brothers studios.  Another client was  young WB actor Gig Young.


The wedding of Sophie and Gig Young with Faye Emerson and Skitch Henderson (then man and wife)


Sophie and Gig began a love affair sometime in the mid 1940s while both were still married to others.  Gig Young's wife, Sheila, was granted a divorce on October 6, 1949.  Once he was free, Gig pressed Sophie to divorce Gage.  The couples had been so close professionally and personally that the Gages and Youngs owned property in Malibu jointly.

At the time of his divorce, Gig was 36 and Sophie was 42.  She was reluctant to divorce Gage whose feelings for her were very deep.  Sophie admitted to her friend Viveca Lindfors that since she herself had initiated the affair, she found Gig was dumbfounded by her hanging on to her own marriage.   Eventually, though, she and Gage divorced.

Gig and Sophie were married on January 1, 1951 in New York City at the home of their friends Faye Emerson and Skitch Henderson.   Actor Arthur Kennedy gave the bride away.


Sophie with friend Viveca Lindfors


Sophie by then had moved over to the coaching spot at Universal-International.  Three months after their marriage, Sophie was diagnosed with cervical cancer.  By October, 1952, a weakened Sophie was spending most of her time in bed.  On October 24, Sophie entered the hospital and died on November 10, 1952.  


Provided by Jack Randall Earles