The Information Society (TIS), ("...a key critical forum for leading edge analysis of the impacts, policies, system concepts, and methodologies related to information technologies and changes in society and culture") is published at
Indiana University, Bloomington. Volume 11 (1995) number 4 published "Controversies About Electronic Journals and Scholarly Communication: An Introduction" and "Electronic Journals and Legitimate Media in the Systems of Scholarly Communication".
"Hypertext has been promoted as a vehicle that will change literary reading, especially through its recovery of images, supposed to be suppressed by print, and through the choice offered to the reader by links. Evidence from empirical studies of reading, however, suggests that these aspects of hypertext may disrupt reading. In a study of readers who read either a simulated literary hypertext or the same text in linear form, we found a range of significant differences: these suggest that hypertext discourages the absorbed and reflective mode that characterizes literary reading." - David S. Miall and Teresa Dobson, "Reading Hypertext and the Experience of Literature", Journal of Digital Information, Volume 2 Issue 1 Article No. 46, 2001-08-13
This list has grown to include not only linguistics journals, but any online journal that I have found even remotely useful in my teaching.
Technology, Technology Education
- Journal of Technology Education
- "The Journal of Technology Education provides a forum for scholarly discussion on topics relating to technology education. ... Manuscripts that appear in the Articles section have been subjected to a blind review by three or more members of the Editorial Board."
Technology In Education
- Several volumes now online.
From the Association for Learning Technology, "ALT-J is an international journal devoted to research and good practice in the use of learning technologies within higher education..." Abstracts only.
- CALL-EJ Online
- Twice per year since 1996, a refereed journal dealing with computers and English/Japanese as a Second/Foreign Language and related topics. Merged with On-CALL in May 1999, On-CALL archives are also available.
- Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education (CITE Journal)
- an online, peer-reviewed journal, established and jointly sponsored by five professional associations (AMTE, ASTE, NCSS-CUFA, CEE, and SITE). ... Each professional association has sole responsibility for editorial review of articles in its discipline:
- Technology and Science Education (ASTE)
- Technology and Mathematics Education (AMTE)
- Technology and Social Studies Education (NCSS-CUFA)
- Technology and English Education (CEE)
- Educational Technology: General (SITE)
- eLearn Magazine
- Not Peer Reviewed "eLearn Magazine is published by ACM, a not-for-profit educational association serving those who work, teach, and learn in the various computing-related fields. ... Content is culled from two sources: News and features written by professional journalists with expertise in education and technology, and columns and tutorials by industry leaders and stars of academia."
- "Innovate is a bimonthly, peer-reviewed online periodical (ISSN 1552-3233) published by the Fischler School of Education and Human Services at Nova Southeastern University. The journal focuses on the creative use of information technology (IT) to enhance educational processes in academic, commercial, and governmental settings. Our basic assumption is that innovative uses of technology in one sector can inform innovative uses of technology in each of the other sectors." N.B. Free registration required to view articles online.
- Interpersonal Computing and Technology Journal
- "... a scholarly, peer-reviewed journal, published two/four times a year. The journal's focus is on computer-mediated communication, and the pedagogical issues surrounding the use of computers and technology in educational settings."
- "Kairos is a refereed online journal exploring the intersections of rhetoric, technology, and pedagogy. Each issue presents varied perspectives on special topics such as 'Critical Issues in Computers and Writing,' 'Technology and the Face of Language Arts in the K-12 Classroom,' and 'Hypertext Fiction/Hypertext Poetry.'"
- Language Learning & Technology
- Published in January and July, "a refereed journal that began publication in July 1997. The journal seeks to disseminate research to foreign and second language educators in the U.S. and around the world on issues related to technology and language education."
- Teaching English with Technology
- A Journal for Teachers of English from IATEFL Poland Computer Special Interest Group
- The Technology Source
- "Published from 1997 to 2003, The Technology Source (ISSN 1532-0030) was a peer-reviewed bimonthly periodical whose purpose was to provide thoughtful, illuminating articles that would assist educators as they face the challenge of integrating information technology tools into teaching and into managing educational organizations. This Web site maintains all of the articles originally published in The Technology Source... "
Applied Linguistics, Language Teaching, SLA
- "...aims at presenting and exchanging theoretical and practical work in fields related to its domain (didactics, applied linguistics, psycholinguistics, educational sciences, computational linguistics, computer science, etc.). " Published in French and on the Internet only.
- Asian EFL Journal
- "...examines issues within the Asian EFL linguistic scene, and considers how traditional educational Approaches are integrated with or contrasted against what is arguably a very specialized and relatively new field of study. ... The primary function of the Asian EFL Journal is to provide a freely accessible alternative journal on a quarterly basis through the user friendly and highly accessible medium of the Internet....
- CDTL Brief
- A newsletter published since April 1998 by the Centre for Development of Teaching and Learning (CDTL) at the National University of Singapore.
- CLEAR News
- Michigan State University Center for Language Education and Research newsletter, published twice a year.
- Since 1995, newsletter from University of Ghent's departments of English, French, and Dutch reporting "joint research projects in the area of contrastive grammar".
- (DEOS = Distance Education Online Symposium) "...complements The American Journal of Distance Education by promoting distance education scholarship, research, and practice." Archives from vol.2 (1992). From Penn State College of Education.
- English Teaching Forum
- "The Forum is a quarterly journal for teachers of English as a foreign or second language. ... [T]he journal features articles contributed by well-known scholars, readers worldwide, or the editors. Articles focus on the theory and practice of teaching English and include discussions of methods, techniques and ideas useful in the classroom. Thematic content varies, often focusing on an aspect of American culture or a particular language skill or teaching approach."
- http://www.cal.org/ericcll/langlink/ - ERIC/CLL Language Link
- Offline 4/2007. Four times per year. "Each issue covers topics of interest to the foreign language, English as a second language, linguistics, and cross cultural education fields. News from the National Clearinghouse for ESL Literacy Education (NCLE), from the ERIC system, and from partnering organizations in our field are regular features of ERIC/CLL Language Link, as are journal reviews and publications announcements." N.B. Seems to have not been updates since 2003 [checked 12/2005].
- href="http://www.cal.org/ericcll/news/index.html - ERIC/CLL News Bulletins
- Offline 4/2007. (ERIC Clearinghouse on Languages and Linguistics) "...semi-annual newsletter distributed to all U.S.-resident members of TESOL and ACTFL. Full text of major articles from recent issues can be read at our Web site." N.B. Seems to have not been updates since 2003 [checked 12/2005].
- Hwa Kang Journal
- 1995 - 2005. "The Hwa Kang Journal of TEFL, published by the Language Center of the Chinese Culture University in Taipei, is intended to promote the teaching of English as a foreign language, with a focus on listening and speaking, considered together as a conversational or communicative ability or skill, or considered separately as two distinct language abilities or skills"
- Internet TESL Journal
- Monthly since 1995, aimed at the classroom teacher, also has collection of classroom materials.
- The Language Teacher
- Archives of a monthly print publication from JALT, back issues since 1996 available online. Devoted to "all aspects of language teaching, particularly with relevance to Japan."
- Practical Assessment, Research and Evaluation
- "Practical Assessment, Research and Evaluation (PARE) is an on-line journal published by the ERIC Clearinghouse on Assessment and Evaluation (ERIC/AE) and the Department of Measurement, Statistics, and Evaluation at the University of Maryland, College Park. Its purpose is to provide education professionals access to refereed articles that can have a positive impact on assessment, research, evaluation, and teaching practice, especially at the local education agency (LEA) level. "
- The Reading Matrix: An International Online Journal
- The Reading Matrix: An International Online Journal is a fully-refereed journal with an editorial board of scholars in the fields of second language acquisition and applied linguistics. The journal seeks to disseminate research to educators around the world. We are interested in exploring issues related to L2 reading, L2 literacy in a broader sense, and other issues related to second language learning and teaching.
- Quarterly since April 1994, a refereed journal which "...publishes original articles in the research and
practice of English as a second or foreign language. TESL-EJ welcomes studies in ESL/EFL pedagogy, second language acquisition, language assessment, applied socio- and psycholinguistics, and other related areas, for quarterly publication."
- TESL Reporter
- "The TESL Reporter is a semiannual publication of the Division of Languages and Linguistics at Brigham Young University-Hawaii, and is dedicated to the dissemination of ideas and issues of interest to teachers of English to speakers of other languages worldwide."
Note that issues are delivered as large (about 2 Mb) PDF files. Back issues starting from Volume 27(1) April 1994 are available.
- TESOL Journal and TESOL Matters
- "Both TESOL Journal and TESOL Matters ceased publication in 2003." CD-ROMs are available for purchase from TESOL.
- The Web Journal of Modern Language Linguistics
- A refereed annual published online from 1996 to 2000 by the School of Modern Languages University of Newcastle upon Tyne.
- Teaching with Electronic Technology
- "The World Wide Web sites collected on this page reflect the considerable variety of uses for computing and related forms of electronic technology in teaching." A very large but well-annotated page of a large variety of resources.