Nashville, Tennessee City Cemeteries
To walk through any cemetery is a historical commentary of that area's past. Nashville has many such burial places with famous, infamous, loved, and sometimes sadly forgotten.
The Political Graveyard is a website to help you locate where politicians are buried.
Spring Hill Cemetery, located at 5110 Gallatin Road, was established in 1785, and is the oldest in Nashville. The founder of Davidson Academy, Rev. Thomas Craighead, is buried here.
The City Cemetery, 1001 4th Ave. South, opened in 1822, has many of Nashville's Notable Graves . Some of the 23,000 graves are unmarked. It is the final resting place for the city's founders, James and Charlotte Robertson. Also buried here is Capt. William Driver (1803-1886). Driver, a New England sea captain, is credited with first calling the Union flag, "Old Glory". He moved to Nashville as a young man, and remained a Unionist during the Civil War. His grave and that of Francis Scott Key are the only two places in the United States where the American flag is permitted to fly twenty-four hours a day. Three Civil War generals buried in the City Cemetary are Major Gen. Bushrod Johnson (1817-1880), hero of the Battle of Chickamauga; Lt. Gen. Richard S. Ewell (1817-1872), a commander at the Battle of Gettysburg; and Gen. Felix Zollicoffer (1812-1862), killed at the Battle of Fishing Creek in Kentucky. In 1878, a city ordinance was passed to allow only descendants of owners with unfilled plots to be buried at the crowded City Cemetery so only about one burial a year takes place. Due to neglect and vandalism, a restoration effort to plant vinca minor, also known as periwinkle or graveyard vine, was started to displace the unsightly weeds, lessen grass maintenace and reduce damage to the soft limestone monuments .
In 1851, Nashville’s Jewish community purchased land for a cemetery, 2001 15th Ave. N. Three synagogues (Sherith Israel, The Temple, and West End Synagogue) now have adjoining cemeteries.
MT OLIVET CEMETERY was conceived in 1855, when the city encountered space limitations and environmental problems. At that time, 1101 Lebanon Rd. seemed a location distant enough from the increasing city limits. Mt. Olivet was considered more prestigious so many bodies were re-interred from the City Cemetery. This cemetery holds a wealth of Victorian tombs, a pyramid designed for E.C. Lewis and a Gothic vault for Adelicia Acklen. In addition, Confederate Circle Monument at Mt. Olivet Cemetery is ringed by the graves of seven Confederate generals and over 1500 Confederate soldiers, interred here from battlefields. After 145 years, Mt. Olivet shelters the remains of more than 190,000 people. The names are as recognizable as the street and roads, buildings and monuments, cities and counties they now identify, such as Overton (County), Harding (Place), McGavock (Pike), Ryman (Auditorium) and Acklen (Avenue).
Another 483 Confederate soldiers are buried at Confederate Cemetery on Lebanon Road and Shute Lane. Most of these men died at the Soldier's Home, one mile north of the graveyard.
The Nashville National Cemetery, started in 1867, is located at 1420 Gallatin Road South in Madison, TN (near Briley Parkway exit). This sixty five acre Miliary Cemetery is open for visitation during daylight hours, although it is officially closed to any more burials. At the entrance stands an old limestone archway and a stone wall surrounds the grounds. Many soldiers, both Union and Confederate rest here.
MT. ARARAT CEMETERY at 800 Elm Hill Pike opened in 1869. It was the first cemetery for African Americans in Nashville. It was merged with Greenwood Cemetery for blacks at 1428 Elm Hill Pike, which was opened in 1888 by Preston Taylor, who founded Greenwood Park (Nashville's first park for blacks), Citizen's Bank (Tennessee's first black owned bank), and the Lea Avenue Christian Church. Many outstanding Nashvillians are buried there.
NASHVILLE
HoneyHoney's Country Girl Hullaballoo
http://www.oocities.org/bornhoney/