This sign, and the remnants of a faded sign on a nearby wall, are
all that are left of over eighty years' worth of effort by two generations
of Robertsons, in a firm that was started at about the time Canada was born.
Robertson's Chocolates were manufactured by the Robertson Brothers
confectionery firm, which was founded in 1868 by Gideon, George, William,
Thomas and Alexander Robertson. They started off making baked goods
as well as confections but eventually specialized in sweeties, as they are
more fun to eat than mere bread. In 1873, the enterprising Robertsons moved
to the corner of Queen and Jarvis, where they remained for over three-quarters
of a century, outlasting eleven Canadian prime ministers, five Commonwealth
monarchs, two world wars, and thirty-seven constitutional crises.