By Padraig Yeates, Industry and Employment
Correspondent
DART services are to begin operating to Greystones by the
end of this month and to be extended to Malahide by June,
according to senior Iarnród Éireann sources. The first test
runs
on the Greystones extension take place today, when the line
from Bray is "energised" to take the DART.
The service is likely to begin on March 29th or 30th. It will be
at a reduced rate initially. As new drivers become available, the
number of trains will increase. The first nine drivers complete
their training by mid-April.
The Malahide service is expected to begin in June. DART
trains will alternate between Howth and Malahide. Company
sources said this may lead to a reduction in the frequency of
services on the Howth branch line during peak times, but more
trains would be run and the overall impact would be minimal.
Meanwhile, a new threat to Inter-city services has emerged.
Management and unions are to hold urgent talks next week to
avert a major row over the implementation of a new pay deal
for mainline train drivers.
The deal provides for the introduction of a five-day week, a
basic salary of £29,500 and improved pension scheme. The
unions had expected the package to be introduced on June 1st,
but the company informed them late last week that it would not
be implemented until September 25th.
It gave as its reasons problems recruiting and training drivers,
the introduction of the summer rosters and annual leave
requirements of the drivers themselves.
Iarnród Éireann management and representatives of SIPTU
and the National Bus and Railworkers' Union met at the
Labour Relations Commission yesterday and agreed to talks
next Tuesday to review the situation. SIPTU branch secretary
Mr Tony Tobin said the company proposal to defer the new
terms was not acceptable, but he was confident the problem
could be resolved.
The company's human re sources manager, Mr John Keenan,
said his aim next week would be to bring forward
implementation of the agreement as early as possible. He
rejected a claim by the Irish Locomotive Drivers' Association
that the delays were because of the safety audit on the railway
system.
Earlier yesterday, the executive secretary of the ILDA, Mr
Brendan Ogle, od Eireann had not changed since SIPTU and
the NBRU had agreed the new deal last month. He also
warned that his members would not accept any changes in the
rosters until their concerns over rail safety and other issues
were met.