In January, 1820, a
delegation from the Silver Creek Baptist Church helped organize the
First Baptist Church of New Albany, Indiana. Its first leader was
Seth Woodruff, a "tavern keeper, plasterer, bricklayer, associate
judge, justice of the peace; almost everything required by a new
country and a new town." At first, the church met in his tavern,
with itinerant preachers leading the services. In 1826 Woodruff was
ordained and became their first pastor, a position he held until his
death twenty-five years later.
In the 1820's and '30's an
anti-missionary movement made significant inroads among Baptists in
this area. In 1835 First Baptist experienced the disruptive effects
of this movement. Forty-three members withdrew and formed the Park
Christian Church. The two congregations shared the building for
about a year, when it was decided to auction the building with only
the two congregations allowed to bid. The Baptists secured the
building for $1010.00.
In 1844, thirteen members of
First Baptist were dismissed to start the Second Baptist Church. The
split weakened First Baptist, and Second Baptist proved too small to
be effective. In 1846 Second Baptist disbanded and most members
reunited with First Baptist. In 1848, because of the firing of a
pastor, several members of First Baptist left to start a new church.
They organized the Bank Street Baptist Church and called the Rev.
George Webster, who had been fired by First Baptist, as their
pastor. The members of Second Baptist who had not reunited with
First Baptist joined Bank Street. Many from First Baptist eventually
joined Bank Street.
In 1853, First Baptist's
building burned and was not rebuilt. The church met irregularly
until 1878, when the Rev. William Hildreth led the remnants to join
Bank Street and to deed all properties held in the name of First
Baptist to Bank Street. Until 1921 there was no First Baptist Church
in New Albany. Growth at Bank Street under Rev. Hildreth
necessitated a larger facility. In 1878 they sold their building and
began construction of a new one on E. Fourth Street. It was
dedicated on January 4,1880, as the Tabernacle Baptist Church. Dr.
John A. Broadus of Southern Baptist Seminary in Louisville preached
the dedicatory sermon.
The sanctuary of Tabernacle
Baptist seated 800 and for many years was filled to capacity at
every service. In 1888 a group from Tabernacle started a mission
which became the Culbertson Avenue Baptist Church (now Culbertson
Baptist Church). Worship continued on Fourth Street until 1920.
Changes in the neighborhood made the location no longer desirable
for a church. There must have also been a significant loss of
membership, because their next facility seated closer to 250 than
800.
In January, 1921, Tabernacle
sold its building and property and in March of that year purchased
the building owned by the Third Presbyterian Church at the corner of
Ninth and Spring Streets. This building had been erected by the
Presbyterians in 1868. After moving to the Spring Street location,
Tabernacle Baptist took back the name First Baptist Church.
In 1932 the building facing
E. Ninth Street at the rear of the church was bought and used as a
parsonage and Sunday School until 1947, when property on E. Elm
Street was purchased for a parsonage. It was then converted into
office and classroom space. This building is now gone. The Elm
Street parsonage was bought during the pastorate of the Rev. George
W. Hurt, who had come in 1945. Rev. Hurt was popular with men and
brought many husbands into the church. He also had a successful
radio program. He left First Baptist in 1951 to become an Area
Minister for Indiana Baptists.
The Rev. Jesse McKeny became
pastor early in 1952. In October of that year, members from First
Baptist and Culbertson Avenue Baptist organized a mission, which is
now the State Street Baptist Church. Seeing the need for a modern
educational building, in May, 1954, the church authorized the
Trustees to proceed with a bond issue for that purpose. Construction
began in January, 1955, and the building was dedicated on October 16
of that year. After serving for seventeen years, Rev. McKeny retired
in April, 1970.
Later in 1970 the Rev.
Kenneth Partridge began a fruitful five-year pastorate. He started a
successful afternoon program for neighborhood youth. A new parsonage
was purchased in the Oakwood subdivision of New Albany. He left New
Albany to serve in Maine, both as a pastor and as a denominational
worker. He is presently an Area Minister in that state.
The Rev. Kenneth Stout was
called in 1976 as the next pastor of First Baptist. After five years
of service here, he went on to a successful pastorate in Vincennes,
Indiana.
The Rev. Roy Owen Branam
served First Baptist from 1981 to '85. It proved to be a difficult
period for the church. In 1985 the Rev. Bryan T. Clemens was called
as pastor. He served First Baptist well and helped heal many wounds
in the congregation. He ended his work here in October, 1988.
The Rev. Randy Smith was then
succeeded in 1996 by Rev. Dale Raines who is enthusiastic about
leading the congregation to a fuller understanding of God's purpose
and direction for First Baptist. This is an exciting time to be a
part of First Baptist of New Albany, as we seek to follow our Lord
Jesus Christ. Mike Hosea, who joined the church in 2000 as Minister
of Music, is energetically expanding the music ministry of the
church, incorporating both praise music and traditional hymns in the
worship life of the congregation.