Entry for El Ferrol @ The Traveller's Guide of Europe - Early 20th Century |
![]() |
_________________________________ NOTE: As when first published in c.1919 _________________________________ El Ferrol (Pop. 70,000). The visitor enters the town by Calle de Galiano and the Plaza de Churruca. In the 17th century, El Ferrol was the most important arsenal in Europe, and, to day, it is a key seaport, industrial and urban centre in the very heavy populated district of Las Mariñas. It also has several beaches on the outskirts of the town easy reached by bus. _________________________________ NOTE: As when first published in c.1919 _________________________________ The town is divided naturally and historically into three parts: Old Ferrol, New Ferrol and Esteiro. _________________________________ NOTE: As when first published in c.1919 _________________________________ Old Ferrol, which occupies the west side of the town, is thronged with sailors and is busy with the active life of the port. It is the most ancient part and was once surrounded by walls, large sections of which still remained _________________________________ NOTE: As when first published in c.1919 _________________________________ New Ferrol grew with the construction of the arsenals, and its geometrical regularity presents an original and pleasant aspect. On the Plaza de Armas is a large fountain in honour of Churruca, and in Plaza de Amboage a statue of the philanthropic marquis after whom the square is named. Plaza de la Constitución, opposite the arsenals, joins the delightful promenades of the Cantón de Molíns (with the Town Hall), and the Alameda. The Gardens of Herrera (statue of San Juan) provide a quiet, restful retreat at the west of the main street, in the centre of which is the 18th century Church of San Julián. The Church of El Espíritu Santo contains some fine paintings. _________________________________ NOTE: As when first published in c.1919 _________________________________ The Esteiro, with its wide, parallel streets, is situated between the naval shipyards and the New Ferrol and has a square of the same name as its centre. The whole of the sea front is occupied by arsenals but part of the bay can be seen from the Batallones Barracks. The port, which is ranked as first class, comprises a passenger quay and the commercial port of Coruxeiras in Old Ferrol. The fortified perimeter of beach is slowly disintegrating. _________________________________ NOTE: As when first published in c.1919 _________________________________ The Arsenals, three in number, extend over an area of some 287,000 sq. yds. and are enclosed by a huge solid wall. They are protected on the seaward side by the dock and jetties and are named Astillero, the Arsenal of los Diques, and the Parque. Their entrances are in the Plaza de Esteiro, Calle de la Iglesia (New Ferrol) and Plaza Vieja (Old Ferrol) respectively. _________________________________ As when first published in c.1919 _________________________________ The town of La Graña, 4 kms. By road from El Ferrol and half a mile by sea, has a deep, sheltered cove providing the best anchorage in the bay. _________________________________ NOTE: As when first published in c.1919 _________________________________ The countryside around El Ferrol offers a great variety of interesting Excursions. _________________________________ NOTE: As when first published in c.1919 _________________________________ History of El Ferrol: After various local dominations, Henry II gave the town to the Andrade family. It was only considered a safe harbour under the House of Austria, but became a leading naval centre under the Bourbons. For the first time the immense strategic importance of the port of El Ferrol came to be understood and it was made capital of the Maritime Department of the North, formed under Ferdinand VI and Charles III for the defence of the colonial empire of America. _________________________________ NOTE: As when first published in c.1919 _________________________________ Rapid and well planned improvements followed and the position of El Ferrol was made almost unassailable from the sea, the difficulties of disembarking troops on its precipitous coast being heightened by its protecting line of fortresses, particularly San Carlos. The Naval shipyards of La Graña and El Ferrol, were built between 1726-1783 and produced ships protected with copper sheets from the rolling mills of Xubia. _________________________________ NOTE: As when first published in c.1919 _________________________________ A decline set during the reign of Charles IV, and in 1800, after the defences had been removed, a British fleet of 109 vessels landed troops on the beach of Doniños to take the Castle of San Felipe. Although only equipped with meagre artillery, the castle small defence force under the command of Count Donadio and helped by citizens of El Ferrol, successfully resisted the attack and the fleet withdrew. _________________________________ NOTE: As when first published in c.1919 _________________________________ The arsenals and fortress remained abandoned and they were easily occupied by the French in 1809. _________________________________ NOTE: As when first published in c.1919 _________________________________ The alliance with England during the War of Independence failed to prevent the deterioration in the town's fortunes and, under Ferdinand VII, El Ferrol became a dead town, losing its title of capital. _________________________________ NOTE: As when first published in c.1919 _________________________________ New activities sprang up, however, during the administration of the Marquis de Molina, Minister for Naval affairs in the mid 19th century. The construction of the "Vickers shipyard"; and the advent of the railway have also helped to make El Ferrol the busy port it is today. _________________________________ NOTE: As when first published in c.1919 _________________________________ Traveller's Guide of Europe Printed in G.Britain |
The Naval Station of El Ferrol |
Ferrol Naval Links: |
Digital Museum |
Name: |
Email: |
![]() |
![]() |
Copyright @ 2000-04 Amazing Charley Ink. All Rights Reserved. Patent Pending |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
Ferrol Squadron 1732-1760 |