Miscellaneous Freeware for Windows NT
Most of these, if not all of them, are also compatible with Windows 2000 and Windows XP.
All freeware available at this location is also freely redistributable.
These programs were written years ago and I no longer have the source code for them. Some have been recreated from scratch as Windows XP programs.
- fi.zip (FileInfo) Like DIR, but more. Also lists file link, file stream, file security, and device information and filters by file age and size.
- popup.zip: Displays a messagebox with the given message and title. Version 2 supports pipe input, file input, and a configurable help button.
- attribnt.zip: Similar to ATTRIB but also sets and clears the file and directory attributes for compression, offline, and temporary file.
- runprocess.zip: Runs a program: optionally as a specified user, at a specified time, for a specified duration or until a specified end time, for a specified number of repetitions, at a specified priority, and more.
- waituntil.zip: Waits until the specified date and time before exiting, optionally sends CTRL-C or CTRL-BREAK at that time.
- event.zip: Waits for or signals an event for interprocess communication, optionally sends CTRL-C or CTRL-BREAK when the event is triggered.
- showconsole.zip: Hides, minimizes, maximizes, and restores a console window.
- refresh.zip Notifies Windows NT to refresh the desktop or. Useful if you copy icons to the desktop from a scheduled script. [v1.1] Optionally notifies applications to refresh their environment.
- conset.zip For Windows NT; does everything SET does on Windows 2000, including prompting for input. Also performs floating point math, sets system and user variables, sets variables from registry values, sets variables from a backquoted command string, adjusts console parameters, and more. v1.3 can be used to set variables in another process.
- paste.zip: Prints the clipboard text to standard output.
- compare.zip: Compares two strings with either ASCII sort, string sort, or word sort.
- waitdirchg.zip Waits for a specified type of change within a specified directory tree and reports that change.
- geturls.zip Extracts URL's from an input stream.
- recent.zip Adds shortcuts to or clears the recent documents folder.
- connect.zip Tests the availability of a port.
- att.zip A super AT-like job scheduler for ATSVC. Includes periodicities such as first Monday, last Tuesday, last day of month, every three months, every two seconds, ON *-01-01, etc.
- hex.zip Prints a hex dump of the input stream. Output is either buffered or to STDOUT. Works on files up to 2^64-2 bytes.
- ln.zip Creates hard links and shell links (shortcuts), resolves shell links, and lists files with link information. Version 2.2 adds icon selection for shortcuts.
- moveex.zip Registers files to be moved or deleted at the next system startup (also works on Windows 95).
- renameuser.zip Changes a username. Requires Administrator or Account Operator.
- page Not for XP. A text paging program. Reads HTML, RTF, and has many other options.
- conutils.zip Beta: A set of console utilities that is currently under construction (abandoned for now). There is no documentation yet but each program has the switch '/?' enabled. This set will be updated without notice until version 1 is reached, then updates will be logged and documentation will be written. During development programs will be stuffed in the archive automatically, including some possibly non-functioning and misbehaving programs. Use cautiously until version 1 is released.
- congettext.zip Gets a line of input for batch programs by use of a Windows dialog box.
- congetfile.zip Gets a file name for batch programs by use of a Windows dialog box.
- sysmetr.zip Prints the value of the specified system metric to STDOUT.
- recycle.zip Deletes one or more files by sending them to the Recycle Bin, if possible.
- dnslu.zip: Command line, CGI-Post, and CGI-Get utility that performs a DNS lookup by name or IP.
- colortest.zip: Displays colors and values that are used with COLOR.EXE.
- regchguser.zip: Change values in the registry hive HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
- suntimes.zip (2001-09-22: Fixed modula 24 bug) Display information on the various times for sunrise, sunset, etc. Fixed for Daylight Savings Time changes (2001-04-01).
- tee.zip: Sends output to console and a file.
- writemailslot: Writes a message to a mailslot. This is not e-mail. WriteNamedPipe and WriteMailslot are both contained in pipeslot.zip.
- writenamedpipe: Writes a message to a named pipe. WriteNamedPipe and WriteMailslot are both contained in pipeslot.zip. The archive now includes a ReadNamedPipe program (20010228).
- scrnres.zip: Prints the resolution of the screen to STDOUT.