BROOKDALE LODGE

This hotel, with its indoor stream, secret tunnels, and hidden rooms, was a favorite rendezvous for Joan Crawford, Marilyn Monroe, Tyrone Power, and other movie legends. The lodge was built in 1923 on the site of a hotel and dated back to the 1880's. A string of bad luck caused the lodge to shut down in 1984. In 1972, a thirteen-year-old dirl drowned in the beutiful indoor pool and the owners decided to close it. Without the pool to attract visitors, bookings dropped off. Then in 1982, Clear Creek overflowed its banks after torrential rains. The creek ran right through the middle of the lodge, in the Brook Room, and receding flood waters deposited mud and debris throughout the lodge. The lodge sat deserted until 1990, when it was purchased by LeAnn and Bill Gilbert, a lieutenant with the San Francisco Police. They completly remodeled the place and reopened the pool. Not long after afterward ghostly ghostly phenomena started to occur. LeAnn and Bill had both noticed strange things happening, but it was not until their daughter Kim saw the ghost of a young girl run across the lobby and disappear through a window that they relized they had a resident ghost. They called the lost girl Sarah and blamed her for a wide variety of effects, such as slamming doors and turning on the jukebox or television sets. Sarah's youthful spirit seems to have attracted other ghosts to the Brookdale Lodge. Sarah's mother has been seen in the Brook Room, and the ghosts of a twelve-year-old boy has appeared in Room 46. The ghosts of a woman named Mary and a lumberjack named George have also been detected. In fact, psychics say that forty-nine separate entities have returned to the Brookdale Lodge-so far.

Brookdale Lodge is located in Santa Cruz County near Boulder Creek in the San Larenzo Valley, eleven miles northwest of Santa Cruz on Highway 9. Brookdale Lodge, P.O. Box 9, Brookdale, CA 95007. Phone: (831) 338-6433


ALCATRAZ

The Miwok Indians thought evil spirits inhabited this island and never set foot until 1859, when they arrived in shackles as the island's first prisoners. By 1912, the army had built the largest reinforced concrete structure in the world: a huge fortress that would later house the nations most dangerous criminals. In 1963, the island was taken over by the National Park Service; only the ghosts of ots tormented inmates remain. Clanging sounds, screams, and crying can sometimes be heardin Cell Block A. Disturbances in Cell Block C became so frequent that the park service called in psychic Sylvia Brown to try to figure out what was happening. She made contact with the spirit of a man called Butcher, who resisted all her efforts to calm his violent soul. Prison records confirmed that Abie Maldowitz, a mob hit man with the nickname of Butcher, was killed by another prisoner in the laundry room of the cell block. In Cell Block D, four cells are thought to be haunted. Strange voices have emanated from Cell 11, 12, and 13 there. Even in the summer months, Cell 14-D feels ice-cold, and some visitors have been overcome by emotion in one corner of the cell. This was the tiny cell where killer Rufe McCain was kept in solitary confinement for over three years. Sometimes the sounds of banjo playing are reported coming from the deserted shower room, where Al Capone frequently played the instrument.

Boats to Alcatraz island leave every few hours from Pier 41 in San Francisco. Call (415)546-2700 for tour information.


TOYS R US

This modern toy store was built in 1970 and has been haunted ever since. Employees first thought someone was scattering roller skates and books throughout the aisles as a practical joke, but when they started hearing voices and being touched by phantom hands, they asked manager Judy Jackson for help. She discovered that customers had also been reporting strange things: faucets that turned themselves on after being turned off, and invisible hands tapping their shoulders or stroking their hair. Assistant Store Director Jeff Linden was having a hard time with employees who were frightened to go in some areas of the store alone. Acording to some workers, objects were flying twenty feet through the air and hitting them. Finally, psychic Sylvia Brown was called in to investigate. The medium contacted a presence by the name of Johnny Johnson, who worked on a ranch that had existed on the site of the store. She discovered that Johnny was mentally impaired and came to be known as Crazy Johnny by ranch hands. In 1884, he hit his leg with an ax while cutting wood and bled to death near a well on the property. Records showed that a well did exist beneath the store indicated by Johnny's ghost.

Sunnyvale is west of San Jose, near junction of U.S. Highway 101 and highway 237. The Toys'R'Us store is at 130 East El Camino, Sunnyvale, CA 94087. Phone: (408) 732-0331.


WINCHESTER HOUSE

Sarah Winchester started building this house in 1884 and never stopped. She was living in New Haven, Connecticut, when her husband and only son died within months of each other. In an attempt to contact her lost loved ones, she went to Boston medium Adam Coons. He contacted her husband, who asked Sarah to build a house for all the spirits of people killed by the rifle that bears the Winchester name. She traveled west and came upon an eight-room farmhouse being built in the Santa Clara Valley in California. Immediately she knew it was the right place and bought the entire forty-acre farm. Work continued on the house around the clock for the next thisrty-eight years. She eventually spent six million dollars and and ended up with a house of 700 rooms, 950 doors, and 10,000 windows. She had a special room for seances, called the Blue Room, where she recieved building plans direct from the spirit world. Every night at midnight, 1:00 A.M., 2:00 A.M., a large bell in the bell tower rang to summon spirits. To discourage evil spirits from entering her home, she built many blind passageways and based much of the contruction on the number thirteen. She even slept in a different bedroom every night to keep one step ahead of them. She was convinced the evil spirits had found her the 1906 earthquake leveled the upper stories of her mansion. Only 160 rooms remained, and she boarded up the bedroom where she had slept that night. On the other hand, Sarah treated good spirits royally. She held regular banquents in her lavish dining room, where servants set out five-course meals on thirteen solid-gold plates and cutlery. The only guests were herself and twelve invisible ghosts. Real people rarely set foor in her home, and she even turned away such notables as Theodore Roosevelt and Mary Baker Eddy. One of her few guests was Harry Houdini, who never spoke of his single visit to Winchester House. Sarah died in September 1922 and bequeathed her estate to a niece with the instructions that "the ghosts continue to be welcomed and provided for." Guided tours of the house have been offered since 1923. Several famous psychics have contacted ghosts here, and staff members have seen moveing balls of light and a gray-haired female apparition floating through the halls. Visitors have heard organ music, whispering voices, and slamming noises. The management of Winchester House maintains a file of affidavits by witnesses unusual events.

Follow Highway 17 into San Jose and turn onto Stevens Creek Boulevard, then go west to Winchester Boulevard. Winchester House is at 525 South Wenchester Blvd, San Jose, CA 95129. Phone: (408) 247-2101


WILLARD LIBRARY

This Gothis library building was not considered haunted until 1936, when a custodian quit after repeatedly encountered the appartion of a lady in gray in the basement. Since then, janitors, employees, and patrons of the Willard Library have all reported sensing the elusive ghost, sometimes only a cold spot or the odor of perfume. The Lady in Gray has been encountered near the restrooms, near the elevator, and in the Childrens Room, which was moved to the basement in the 1940's. Margeret Maier, who served as children's librarian until her death in 1989, saw the ghost repeatedly in the 1950's. When the Chrilren's Room was remodeled in 1985, Maier insisted that the Lady in Gray came home to live with until the remodeling was completed. Maier's sister and nephew both reported seeing the apparition in her home. The Lady in Gray was later caught on a security camera placed near the restrooms at the library. The Willard Library first opened in 1885, and the female apparition is always dressed in the fashion of that time. In 1992, a child reported seeing two ghosts in the Children's Room. She described Margeret Maier sitting in a peacock chair. Standing behind her was the figure lady in Gray.

Willard Library, 21 First Ave, Evansville IN 47710 Phone: (812) 425-4309


MYRTLES PLANTATION

Many ghosts roam the halls of this picturesque home, built in 1796 by General David Bradford. There have been ten murders in the house, plus at least one suicide. A frequent visitor is the ghost of Cleo, a former slave hung for murdering two little girls. General Bradford's son-in-law Clarke Woodruff cut off the black woman's ear for eavesdropping, and she took her revenge by mising oleander into the children's birthday cake. Another ghosly guest is attorney William Winter, who lived here from 1860 to 1871. He was shot by a stranger on his front porch. The lawyer staggered into the house and made it up seventeen steps of the stairway before he collapsed and died. His ghost still plods up those seventeen stairs. Ghosts from the slave graveyard on the property report to chores, and the ghosts of the two children poisoned by Cleo play on the verandah. One ghost, dressed in khaki pants,is said to meet visitors at the gate and tell them the plantation is closed. Jane Roberts, a psychic who investigated the house, said that walking into the parlor was like walking into a crowded cocktail party full of departed spirits. Frances Kerman, who now runs the former plantation as a bed-and-breakfast inn, says the ghosts have proved to her the reality of life after death.

The two-story wood-frame bed-and-breakfast inn is three miles north of St. Francisvill on Highway 61. Myrtles Plantation, P.O Box 1100, St. Francisville, LA 70775. Phone: (504) 635-6277

DEFEO HOUSE

The famous and controversial "Amityville Horror" case took place in this house. One night in November 1974, twenty-four-year-old Ronald DeFeo shot and killed his parents, two brothers, and two sisters. DeFeo told police he heard voices that ordered him to kill his family. He was sentenced to six consecutive life terms in prison. In December 1975 the house was purchased by George and Kathy Lutz. Within a month, the Lutzes abandoned the house and moved in with friends. Rumors started to spread, and the news media promoted the idea that the house was possessed by evil spirits. In 1977, the Lutzes commisioned Jay Anson to write The Amityville Horror, which was made into a hit movie and four sequels. However, investigators were unable to confirm any of the spectacular claims made by the Lutzes. In all likelihood, the Lutzes moved out because they relized they could not afford the mortgage payments and then capitalized on the sensational publicity. The ASPR investigated the site and found no evidence of paranormal activity. The present owners of the house have reported nothing unusual.

Amityville is at the junction of Routes 27A amd 110 in soutwest Long Island. The house is a private residence, at: 112 Ocean Avenue, Amityville, NY 11701