Joseph Bingham Muntz & Elizabeth Jamison
born 27 August 1827 Ardglass, Co Down, N.Ireland
m  10 June 1853 St Annes  Belfast Co Antrim,  N.Ireland,
died  26 Jan 1902 South Yarra  Vic
son of John MUNCE and Susannah BINGHAM of Crew Kildare, Co Down.

Elizabeth Jamison born 28 Sept 1831 Ireland,  daughter of John Jamison and Jane S.Carson,  died Weddeburn district Vic. near her daughter Jane Elizabeth Leech at Woosang,  buried Woodend .  Her sister  was married in Vic. to Thomas Bingham Muntz. ( The Jamison sisters' mother died in Victoria and her will indicated she  had been married to a Mr John Jamison and later Mr Robert Robinson  - see will  summary here - one of her 7 children included  a  son in Jamaica. )

Joseph signed an indenture in 1845 as a ship's carpenter for 6 years and 6 months which was not discharged until 10 years later on 30 August 1855.
At the age of 35 Joseph and his wife  and  children Joseph aged 8, jane aged 6, John aged 4  listed sailed from Liverpool to Melbourne on the Great Britain sailing ship in 1863 with Joseph's first cousin Joseph and his wife Margaret Martin and some of their children. They called them selves MUNCE in the passenger list. During this voyage a Munce child was born and it is not entirely proven who it was . The Munce/Martin children were  Sarah aged 9, Joseph W aged , and a dash aged 1. which means just a baby as passenger lists were not too accurate as babies did not have to accounted for regarding fares and food.
Joseph was called "Little Joe" to distinguish them!
He  purchased land  from the Crown beside the Campaspe river west of Woodend almost at Ashborne, with the Parish map of Woodend  showing he and his son Joseph Jr owned many parcels of land there. He built a house after clearing the timber and began farming probably potatoes and corn.

From the History of Education in Victoria....p 821, "In 1881 Joseph Muntz was granted a salary by the Board of  Education for acting as a  correspondent for  2 schools  known as Upper and Lower Campaspe,"  but given one number only 1333 . " The school was housed  in Speechleys building for over 20 year  but Joseph Muntz transferred his right to half an acre of his land to the Department. On this site he erected a partly built schoolhouse which the Department completed, after the site had been gazetted as a school reserve on 24 Feb 1874. The HT spent two days a week in 1333 and 3  days at 2539"..and .... basically the Department amalgamated the schools of Upper and Lower Campaspe ...1893-4 the school became a full-time school,  fully closed in 1897 and pupils moved to Woodend.

pp761, School 1333  ASHBOURNE  formerly UPPER CAMPASPE....On 4th April 1899 J.Muntz applied to have Lower Campaspe [school] moved to a more central site, and in 1904 the od school became a shelter shed for the new school ...and made the Upper Campaspe school habitable by 1915...//fully closed at Ashbourne 1967. [ Added 9 Dec 2007 -   those pages were copied years ago and I did not think they were too interesting... just shows that Joseph had many talkents.]


Clearing the Ashborne forest for "Everleigh" c 1864?
This photograph was mounted on board and says
Clearing the land 1876- The visitor from Belfast with hand on hip.

Hand written label says The Muntz Homestead 1876. After a lot of hard work the house was finished. These 2 photographs are large format, historically rare photographs of our pioneering ancestors- not many photographers would venture into the forest with all their equipment over rough tracks in horse and cart.

Close up of the photo on the right above - sorry this is scan from an old laser copier. Not  a photo of  the original photo.

 
 

2007 Everleigh original front door facing east.

Everleigh from  gate on 
Muntz Road, is the continuation of Donalds Road, off Ashbourne Road, close to Woodend..
The day of the auction  8 Dec 2007 the name carve on wood was gone.
Everleigh property sold 2007 

View east from front lawn of house of driveway to muntz road.2007

Joseph Muntz [ Little Jo ] moved to Melbourne about 1883 to run his grain stores in Prahran. He left his youngest son William T Muntz on the farm at "Everleigh"
Joseph Muntz  also had another  produce store at 114 Malvern Road Prahran which  is close to the railway near Prahran market. [1886 Melbourne directory]  William Stockdale their cousin whose son WJS ,[ Phillip Island c 1990s]  said he worked there with  Joseph Carson Muntz and John Jamison Muntz..

In 1892  directory is listed:

Joseph  Muntz  1 Hobson Street Hawksburn
Joseph  Muntz 7 Murray St Prahran [ son]
Joseph  Muntz and Sons 500 Malvern Road Prahran,
Muntz and Sons  "store yard" 165 William's Rd Prahran, and also
Joseph  B Muntz  house and land agent 360 Bridge Road Richmond.
    [probably "Bingham"  son of John Muntz and Annie Cummins  who lived in Richmond where 2 of his children were born]

 Over the door on the corner is written Mangers Office. 
" J.Muntz & Sons Produce merchants Commission Agents and Wholesale Produce Market". .
The photographer is Loch & Co Bridge Rd Richmond

This may not be  the building at the N.W. corner of Williams and Malvern Rds, Prahran [or Stonnington now.] As the windows are square adn the roof top decorations are totally different too but could have been addd later..The street name in our photgraph needs computer enhancemnt  to aid deciphering - it.still cannot be read...
 

 


Different store ?- no shute on right.

I think it is a safe bet that the bowler hats are worn by the owner and  one of his sons?

J.Muntz  & Sons was at 165 William's Road Hawksburn Prahran. [1886 Melbourne Directory]

Photo of this NW corner NW of Malvern and Williams road in 2006- [Williams Rd on right side]

I note in this photo the old tin roof above 499-501  in the above photo has a down slope to street
just  as in the old photo of the "Produce Mart" .

J.Muntz [ Joseph] & Sons owned property at   499-501 Malvern Road Hawksburn  too -  correct -
found in directories of the day - and this is opposite petrol station near McDonalds- was  owned by a cousin sold c 2007.
This cousin  was amazed to fnd out c 2007 that it had been owned  by her own grandfather !

The building on Malvern Road 499 -500 as  in current photo above has a green panel between roof and shop windows.

The children of Joseph and Eliza:

1 Joseph Carson Muntz born 1855 Ireland, married Louisa May Thompson born 1862   at Collingwood,Victoria, Australia [ Father:Archibald THOMSON, Mother:Lucy Harriet DIXON ] who lived to 94 years of age, and they had no children.

Joseph Carson Muntz, died in 1928 in Malvern, having worked both on the land at "Everleigh" in Ashbourne west of Woodend, and in his father's  grain store in  Hawksburn,Prahran.
 

2 Jane Elizabeth Muntz born 16 May 1856 Ireland, married in 1885 to George Frederick Leech, brother of Laura Leech who married William T Muntz.  They lived for a time at 46 Dickson Street Malvern and had an adopted daughter Daisy Sarah Leech who was photographed on the front of veranda of the "Leechfield"  house on the cover of the book "Curlew Country" published by Deakin University School of Humanities.
N.I.(no children)

 

3 John Jamison Muntz born 23 July 1859 Ireland married 1888 Catherine Susannah Healy and had no children and is buried in Nathalia - why there?

Worked for some time for his father in Prahran-HAWKSBURN   grain corn store.

4 William Thomas Muntz  25-5-1862  Belfast, Ireland, farmed " Everleigh"  west of Woodend at Ashbourne, and was the Shire president in 1901 and active in the Presbyterian church, but died of typhoid fever aged 39 leaving his wife, Laura nee Leech of "Leechfield " Woosang, near Wedderburn, Vic., with 8 children the youngest only 1 year old. Today 4 males surnamed MUNTZ

Joseph and Eliza with all their children and their spouses c 1889?

Men L-R John Jamison Muntz, George F.Leech, Joseph Muntz " Little Joe", William Thomas Muntz, Joseph Thomas Jamison Muntz
Women L-R Cath Susannah (nee Healey) Muntz, Jane E. (nee Muntz) Leech, Louisa May (nee Thompson) Muntz, Eliza (nee Jamison), Muntz  Laura (nee Leech) Muntz

 email

Muntz Home Page

Richmond Family History

1