PASCAL LANGUAGE TUTORIAL
This tutorial teaches the entire Pascal programming language. It is composed of 16 chapters which should be studied in order since topics are introduced in a logical order and build upon topics introduced in previous chapters. This tutorial contains a strong emphasis on object oriented programming and what it will do to improve the quality of your code. It is to the students benefit to download the source code for the example programs, then compile and execute each program as it is studied. The diligent student will modify the example program in some way, then recompile and execute it to see if he understands the material studied for that program. This will provide the student with valuable experience using his compiler.
The recommended method of study is to print the text for one or two chapters, download the example programs, and study the material by loading the example programs in the compiler's editor for viewing. Following successful completion of each chapter, additional chapters can be downloaded as progress is made.
Version 2.61 - September 29, 1996 - (Files restructured on March 16, 1997)
This tutorial is distributed as shareware which means that you do not have to pay to use it. However, the author spent a good deal of time and financial resources to develop this tutorial and requests that you share in the financial burden in a very small way, but only if you felt the tutorial was valuable to you as an aid in learning to program in Pascal. If you wish to remit a small payment to the author, full instructions for doing so will be given by clicking the link below. If you do not wish to remit any payment, please feel free to use the tutorial anyway. In either case, I hope you find programming in Pascal to be rewarding and profitable. I personally think it is the first language a new programmer should learn because of the excellent structure.
- Introduction - What is Pascal and why study it?
- Chapter 1 - What is a computer program?
- Chapter 2 - Getting Started in Pascal
- Chapter 3 - The Simple Pascal Data Type
- Chapter 4 - Pascal Loops and Control Structures
- Chapter 5 - Pascal Procedures and Functions
- Chapter 6 - Arrays, Types, Constants, and Labels
- Chapter 7 - Strings and String Procedures
- Chapter 8 - Scalars, Subranges, and Sets
- Chapter 9 - Records
- Chapter 10 - Standard Input/Output
- Chapter 11 - Files
- Chapter 12 - pointers and Dynamic Allocation
- Chapter 13 - Units in Turbo Pascal
- Chapter 14 - Encapsulation and Inheritance
- Chapter 15 - Virtual Methods
- Chapter 16 - Complete Example Programs
- Download source code files - All accompanying source codes
- Download answers to the tutorial - All answers to the exercises
Copyright © 1986-1997 Coronado Enterprises - Last update, March 16, 1997
Gordon Dodrill - email@example.com