The Cross

 

Ambon Berdarah On-Line
News & Pictures About Ambon/Maluku Tragedy

 

 


 

 

 

The Jakarta Post


The Jakarta Post, 2/5/2006 4:42:51 PM

Three bombs found in refugee center in restive Ambon

JAKARTA (AFP): Indonesian police found and disabled three crudely made bombs early Sunday in a refugee center in Maluku province, which has been torn by sporadic sectarian violence since 1999, officers said.

"This is clearly bomb terror," said Ambon police chief Leoni! das Braksan.

Two crudely assembled bombs, equipped with timers, were found around 1:30 a.m. local time (12:30 a.m. Jakarta time) following a tipoff at the Batumerah commercial center, which has been converted into a shelter for Muslim refugees from the sectarian violence, Braksan said.

A third wired bomb, of a similar type, was found in the same complex around 8:00 a.m. local time (7 a.m. Jakarta time), he added.

"We took no risk and disposed of them on site," he said, explaining that the devices were destroyed in controlled explosions.

Ambon and other islands in the Maluku chain were rocked by Muslim-Christian violence that left more than 5,000 people dead between 1999 and 2002, when a government-sponsored peace pact took hold, but sporadic cl! ashes continue.

Braksan said that the incident may be linked to the ongoing trials of several suspected extremists but added that there were no evidence so far backing that assumption. (***)

All contents copyright © of The Jakarta Post.
 


Copyright © 1999-2002 - Ambon Berdarah On-Line * http://www.go.to/ambon
HTML page is designed by
Alifuru67 * http://www.oocities.org/lokkie2005
Send your comments to alifuru67@yahoogroups.com
This web site is maintained by the Real Ambonese - 1364283024 & 1367286044