The Olive Hotel

The Olive Hotel

Built in 1898 as the Hotel Leighton, the modern Olive Hotel has a long and colorful history. Sold in 1902 to Cpt. Calvin C. Howes, and again in 1908 to Maud and Albert Kennie, it was re-named the Olive in honor of the Kennie's daughter. The Kennie's also built the porch that faces Main Street. In the 1930's the Kennie's daughters, Olive and Cora, sold the business.

Well known for its beautiful lobby and one room which has been maintained in a turn of the century state, the Olive has also seen its share of unfortunate deaths, including at least one cold-blooded murder. Not surprisingly, a number of stories have circulated about the building, including sighting of a woman in period dress and a mysterious flushing toilet.



A Story from 'Haunted Montana' by Karen Stevens

Home