The Department of Government and its graduate students at the University of the West Indies, Mona Campus, Jamaica, will host a conference from July 4 to 5, 2008 at the Mona Campus.
ALL GRADUATE STUDENTS IN THE DEPARTMENT ARE REQUIRED TO PARTICIPATE.
The conference theme is:
Graduate Research in the Caribbean: Issues, Methods, and Theories
The conference is open to graduates registered in a programme from the Masters to the Doctoral level in the sub-disciplines of Comparative Politics/Political Theory, International Relations, Public Sector Management, or some related field for which a research paper or thesis is required. Colleagues from other disciplines are also invited.
The conference is to be a gathering of young Caribbean scholars, organized by graduate students, who want an opportunity to:
· Present our research
· Meet our fellow young scholars
· Create and sustain an association
· Consider the relevance and future of our disciplines
· Discuss opportunities for publishing, further studies, and future careers
We hope to have three days of relaxed but productive learning and exchange, to meet and make friends, talk about our future as scholars and talk around themes of critical importance to our region and its people.
We will have panels for research proposals, advanced and completed research, and on the research experience. We will also have presentations on methodology, literature review, and theoretical framework. You will have a chance to join panels on comparative politics, political theory, international relations, and public sector management.
· Begin preparing your research proposals.
· Discuss your research ideas with your peers and academic supervisors.
· If you have already started your research, strive to have it in an advanced stage by summer.
· Keep Checking This Website for Updates
Calendar Of Events:
Friday July 4th 2008 - Registration J$500
Friday July 4th 2008 - First day of conference;
Saturday July 5th 2008 - final day of conference;
Sunday July 6th 2008 - Social activities;
Lunch and coffee/snack breaks provided on both days