The British ship DALRIADA was built at Quebec, by George H. Parke, in 1849. 1383/1504 (or 1507) tons (old/new measurement); 184 x 34 x 24.7 feet (length x beam x depth of hold). She was re-registered at Belfast on 1 October 1849 [Marine Museum of the Great Lakes at Kingston, Wallace Ship List, quoting Frederick William Wallace, Record of Canadian shipping; a list of squarerigged vessels, mainly 500 tons and over, built in the Eastern Provinces of British North America from the year 1786 to 1920 (London: Hodder & Stoughton, 1929); Canadian Ship Information Database, No. 9005455, quoting National Archives of Canada, RG 42, Vol. 1406 (original Vol. 195 = microfilm reel C-2061)]. The annual volumes of Lloyd's Register of Shipping for 1850/51-1861/62 contain the following information on the DALRIADA:
Master: 1850/51 - Kell[e]y 1851/52 - T. Smith 1851/52-1856/57 - J. Scott 1857/58-1861/62 - Ewing Owner: Granger Port of Registry: 1850/51-1855/56 - Belfast 1856/57 - Liverpool 1857/58-1858/59 - Belfast 1859/60-1861/62 - [none given] Port of Survey: 1850/51-1855/56 - Liverpool [1851/52 also has "London" crossed out] 1856/57 - London 1857/58-1858/59 - Liverpool 1859/60-1861/62 - [not given] Destined Voyage: 1850/51 - New Orleans 1851/52 - Callao; Quebec [crossed out]; 1851/52-1853/54 - Bombay 1854/55-1855/56 - Valparaiso 1856/57 - Akyab 1857/58-1858/59 - Aden 1859/60-1861/62 - [not given]
The DALRIADA is last mentioned in Lloyd's Register for 1861/62; however, she was last surveyed in 1856, and as Lloyd's Register often kept vessels on the register for several years after they were lost, condemned, or sold foreign (that is, until they were officially notified of such an occurrence), it is possible that the DALRIADA was lost, condemned, or sold foreign several years before 1861.
[28 Sep 1998]
DANIA (1889, 1896)
Photograph of the DANIA. Source: Arnold Kludas and Herbert Bischoff, Die Schiffe der Hamburg-Amerika Linie, Bd. 1: 1847-1906 (Herford: Koehler, 1979), p. 49. To request a larger copy of this scan, click on the picture.
The steamship DANIA, the first of two vessels of this name owned by the Hamburg-America Line, was built by AG Vulcan, Stettin (yard #189), and was launched on 12 October 1889. 4,377 tons; 113,7 x 13,2 meters (length x breadth); straight stem, 1 funnel, 2 masts; single screw propulsion, triple-expansion engines, service speed 14 knots; accommodation for 30 passengers in 1st class and 1,400 in steerage; crew of 78.
16 December 1889, maiden voyage, Hamburg - Havre - New York. 12 October 1895, last voyage, Hamburg-New York. 1895, sold to the Cia Trasatlantica, Barcelona, and renamed MONTSERRAT. 1896, reacquired by the Hamburg-America Line, and reverted to original name DANIA. 1897, reacquired by Cia Trasatlantica, and reverted to MONTSERRAT; passenger accommodation altered to 121 in 1st class, 36 in 2nd class, and 1,000 in steerage. 26 June 1900, first voyage, Barcelona - Malaga - Cadiz - New York - Havana. 30 November 1920, sunk in New York harbor after collision with the American steamship SAN MARCOS; raised and repaired. 27 June 1924, last voyage, Vera Cruz - Havana - New York - Cadiz - Barcelona. 1926, sold for scrapping. 1927, scrapped at Genoa.
Source: Arnold Kludas and Herbert Bischoff, Die Schiffe der Hamburg- Amerika-Linie, Bd. 1: 1847-1906 (Herford: Koehler, 1979), pp. 48-49 (photograph); Noel Reginald Pixell Bonsor, North Atlantic Seaway; An Illustrated History of the Passenger Services Linking the Old World with the New (2nd ed.; Jersey, Channel Islands: Brookside Publications), vol. 1 (1975), p. 396.
[16 Feb 1999]
(L to R) ships FRITZ REUTER and CHARLES DICKENS, steamship VINDOBALA of London, photographed in the Segelschiffshafen in Hamburg. Source: Jürgen Meyer, Hamburgs Segelschiffe 1795-1945 (Norderstedt: Egon Heinemann, 1971), p. 24. To obtain a larger copy of this scan, click on the picture.
The steamship DANUBE was built under Lloyd's Register of Shipping Special Survey at Clydebank, Glasgow, for the Bibby Line's Mediterranean service by J. & G. Thomson, in 1856. Official number 16,832; 1386/942 tons; 257.2 x 34.5 x 22 feet (length x beam x depth of hold); 3 masts, bark-rigged; iron construction, screw propulsion (engines 180 hp).
On 21 December 1874, the steamship DANUBE was purchased by the Hamburg firm of Robert M. Sloman & Co, who converted her into a sailing ship (3 masts, square-rigged) and renamed her CHARLES DICKENS. 1,359/1,329 tons gross/net; 75 x 10,5 x 6,71 meters (length x beam x depth of hold).
Masters: 1875 - J. J. Kammann 1875-1877 - E. A. Friedrichs 1877-1878 - C. Bockwoldt -1888 - W. Schottler 1888 - H. Petersen Voyages: 1875/1877 - Callao/intermediate ports/Pabellon de Pico 1877/1878 - Brisbane/intermediate ports/Pabellon de Pico 1878/1884 - Queensland/intermediate ports/Pisagua 1884/1885 - Newcastle upon Tyne/intermediate ports/Iquique 1885/1887 - Shields/intermediate ports/Pisagua 1887/1888 - Valparaiso/Iquique 1888 - Talcahuano
The CHARLES DICKENS ex DANUBE was sold to A. P. Ulriksen of Mandal, Norway, on 13 May 1897; she disappears from Lloyd's Register of Shipping in 1909/10, and I have no information on her subsequent career or ultimate fate.
Sources: Ernst Hieke, Rob. M. Sloman Jr., errichtet 1793, Veröffentlichungen der Wirtschaftsgeschichtlichen Forschungsstelle e.V., Hamburg, Bd. 30 (Hamburg: Verlag Hanseatischer Merkur, 1968), p. 380; Walter Kresse, ed., Seeschiffs-Verzeichnis der Hamburger Reedereien, 1824-1888, Mitteilungen aus dem Museum für Hamburgische Geschichte, N. F., Bd. 5 (Hamburg: Museum für Hamburgische Geschichte, 1969), vol. 2, p. 218; Jürgen Meyer, Hamburgs Segelschiffe 1795-1945 (Norderstedt: Egon Heinemann, 1971), p. 24; Ronald Parsons, Migrant Sailing Ships from Hamburg (North Adelaide, South Australia: Gould Books, 1993), p. 15.
[04 Jun 1998]