Welcome to today's issue of 
 
The Unofficial Daily On-line e-zine for  249 Oldham Athletic Supporters Worldwide
 
Today's Edition for
 
    13th February 2002 
The logo's are used with the permission of Oldham Athletic Football Club
 
Welcome to a new subscriber in Australia

 Oldham Evening Chronicle (www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk) Tipton set for move to Macc ATHLETIC striker Matthew Tipton was set for a shock move to Macclesfield today after agreeing personal terms with the third division club. The former Wales under-21 star is leaving Boundary Park in a free transfer, with Athletic taking a big cut of any future fee. Tipton was offered a two-and-a-half-year contract at Moss Rose and snapped up the offer of first-team football. He scored five times for Athletic this season but recently fell from favour, starting only one of the last dozen matches. Coach Mick Wadsworth said: “Every footballer wants to play regularly and Tippy had expressed that to me. I couldn’t promise him whole games in the near future because the team has been functioning quite well. “Macclesfield had made an enquiry and, after thinking about it long and hard, we said he could talk to them if he wanted to. “What was so refreshing was Matthew’s mature and sensible attitude – it was never an issue of money, he just wants to play football. “We’ve protected ourselves with the sell-on clause because he has a chance of developing in a lower division and taking his career forward. “He hadn’t really developed here as many people thought he would, but he is young enough to progress and he leaves us on very good terms.” Tipton was an under-21 international at the age of 17 and Preston manager David Moyes watched him several times last year. After making 112 league appearances (more than half as a substitute) and scoring 15 goals, he has joined the club who sit sixth from bottom of the Football League. Meanwhile, South American star Cristian Colusso starts his first match for Athletic tonight when the reserves play Burnley at Boundary Park (7pm). The on-loan Argentinian midfielder was given a five-minute taste of league football on Saturday when Athletic beat Brighton. Colusso features in a very strong reserve team, which also includes Manchester United youngster Steven Clegg. The 18-year-old right-back, an ever-present in United’s table-topping Academy side, is on trial after being told he can move at the end of the season. Reserves: Kelly, Clegg, Balmer, Holden, Smith, Rickers, Boshell, Hardy, Colusso, Vernon, Eyre. Subs: Grange, Davenport, Doran, Griffin, Hall. 
 Official Oldham Athletic Web Site (www.oldhamathletic.co.uk)Content from the Oldham Athletic Web Site is used with permission of Oldham Athletic Football Club 
Player's Move Finalised

Welsh U21 international Matthew Tipton has agreed terms with Third Division Macclesfield Town and will sign a two and a half year contract at Moss Rose today following his medical. Tipton joined Latics as a trainee in 1996 and was always a prolific goal scorer at Reserve level.  However in 129 First Team appearances, in which 71 was as a substitute, Tipton only managed to score 16 goals. He has been capped at U21 level for Wales on two occasions. Tipton is being allowed to leave Boundary Park on a free transfer but with Latics retaining an interest in the player with a sizeable sell-on clause within the agreement.  Tipton was initially named in the squad for tonight's Reserve game against Burnley at Boundary Park but his place in the starting line-up will now go to promising youngster Scott Vernon and Danny Hall will take Vernon's place on the bench.

Reserve Run Out

There is likely to be more interesting action at Boundary Park tonight as the Reserves take on Burnley. Latics fans will get a good glimpse of Argentinian Cristian Colusso as he starts the game against the Clarets - kick off at 7.00pm. 18 year old trialist, Steven Clegg from Manchester United will play at right back as Mick Wadsworth takes the opportunity to look at the youngster who will be released at the end of the season. The Full squad for the game tonight is as follows: Gary Kelly, Steven Clegg, Stuart Balmer, Dean Holden, Ben Smith, Paul Rickers, Danny Boshell, Lee Hardy, Matthew Tipton, John Eyre, Cristian Colusso, Michael Davenport, Chris Grange, Scott Vernon, Joe Doran, Adam Griffin


 TEAMtalk (www.teamtalk.co.uk) Striker completes Macc switch 
Matthew Tipton has completed a free transfer move to Macclesfield, putting pen to paper on a two-and-a-half year contract. The striker's move was finalised after he passed a medical at Moss Rose today. A spokesperson for The Latics told TEAMtalk that the deal for the Wales Under-21 international - who made 129 appearances for Oldham - includes a sell-on clause should he move on from The Silkmen. 
United trialist set for run-out Tonight's reserve side for the clash against Burnley will include Manchester United youngster Steven Clegg, who The Latics have taken on trial. The game will give Oldham the chance to run the rule over the 18-year-old full-back. On-loan Argentinian midfielder Cristian Colusso will also feature in a side containing eight players with first-team experience, and will be playing for a place in the senior side for Saturday's game at promotion rivals Bristol City. Reserves (from): Kelly, Clegg, Balmer, Holden, Smith, Rickers, Boshell, Hardy, Hall, Eyre, Colusso, Davenport, Vernon, Doran, Griffiths and Grange.

Boss confident on Sheridan 
Oldham are confident that veteran midfielder John Sheridan can prove his fitness from a knee injury in time for Saturday's trip to Bristol City. Sheridan had to limp out of last Saturday's 2-0 win over Brighton just before half time after getting a bang on the knee joint. Boss Mick Wadsworth said: "He has an irritation behind the knee cap and it is responding to treatment. We expect him to be ready for the weekend." 
Boss pinpoints crucial spell Boss Mick Wadsworth knows that the Latics have some important games coming up that could shape their season. The manager said: "We have some big, big games coming up and we are going to be really tested. "But you have to play games like these if you are going to win anything. If you are going to make the play-offs you have to beat teams above and around you. "I like games like these and it may suit us, who knows? It will certainly be exciting and it would be terrific if we could finish in the play-offs. "We are not going to win every game from now until the end of the season and there will be blips. "But we will keep going for it and if we can keep up, or even improve, on our recent form, then we should be there or thereabouts." Free travel for Oldham trip 
Rovers are offering free transport to travel club members and regular away travellers on the official coaches for the game at Oldham next week. The club is putting on 15 free coaches for the journey to Boundary Park next Tuesday night. The offer is available from Wednesday February 13, to the first 720 supporters who meet the criteria, who apply at the Ticket Office. Until noon on Friday, priority will be given to Travel Club members and anyone who has travelled on official coaches this season, thereafter priority will be given to season ticket holders. Additional coach tickets may be purchased, with prices for Travel Club members priced £7.50 executive, £6.50 standard (adult), and £6.00 standard (concessions). Admission is by cash at the turnstiles (£15 adults and £7 concessions), as match tickets are not available from Prenton Park. The move is a gesture by the club to encourage travelling support for the critical away league games coming up, for out of Rovers remaining 15 games, 9 are away from home. Chairman Lorraine Rogers said: "Support at recent away games has been exceptional. Those who regularly travel on our coaches make an additional contribution to the club, and perhaps this gesture will be an added incentive for local families to follow the club in half-term week for this vitally important game."

Skipper's comeback delayed 
Steve Davis will not be risked in the Clarets reserve side at Oldham tonight but both Robbie Blake and Mitchell Thomas should feature. It had initially been suggested that Davis would play at least some part of the game following a knee tendon injury. But it has now been decided to delay his comeback and allow him a little more time. The Clarets have, however, named a very strong line-up for the game. Their Avon Insurance League programme has been badly hit by the weather in recent weeks and the memory of their last outing, a 7-1 reverse against Wrexham, is still fresh in their memories. But that was a game where injuries to the first-team limited Ronnie Jepson's hand and he was forced to play a young side. That is not the case tonight though, and only one player in the starting XI, Joel Pilkington, does not have a first-team squad number. New £1million signing Blake is set to start, as he looks to get nearer to full match fitness, and experienced defender Thomas will also take another step along the road to match fitness, as he looks towards playing his first senior game of the season. He will be joined in the starting line-up by the other four substitutes who were named for the 1-1 draw at Rotherham United on Tuesday night. Luigi Cennamo returns in goal, behind a back four of Mark McGregor, Mitchell Thomas, Gordon Armstrong and Graham Branch. The midfield will be made up of Pilkington alongside Paul Cook, Brad Maylett and Lenny Johnrose, with Blake partnering Tony Ellis.


 Official Burnley Web Site (www.burnleyfc.co.uk) Reserves are set for Oldham

The reserves are set to play their first game for four weeks tonight when they take on Oldham Athletic at Boundary Park with a 7:00 p.m. kick off. We would like to stress that the game is at Boundary Park and not at one of the number of non league grounds that Oldham have been known to use for reserve team games. This is a disappointment, Clarets Mad were looking forward to another Enjoyable evening out at Mossley. The Clarets take with them a far more experienced team than has been the case recently and all of the five subs from last night’s game with Rotherham will be in the starting line up. Alongside them will be Lenny Johnrose and taking a further step back towards full fitness Mitchell Thomas. We were told over the weekend that Andy Payton was hoping to play but he hasn’t make the squad and neither has Steve Davis despite rumours last night at Rotherham that he would. Arthur Gnohere misses the game at Crewe a week on Saturday with suspension but the chances of Steve Davis being fit to replace him now look in doubt with the game now just ten days away. There is no sign of Dimitri Papadopoulos in the squad not even making the bench. There has been no indication from the club that he is either injured our away again, in fact he was definitely at Barnsley on Saturday, sitting with both Nik Michopoulos and Luigi Cennamo in the stand. Cennamo plays tonight in goal for the first time since his first team debut at Cheltenham. He looked very nervous when he came on for the injured Michopoulos in the cup tie and rabbits and car headlights have been mentioned. Since then he hasn’t even made the bench in four first team games as we take the big risk of having no keeper on the bench. The line up tonight is: Luigi Cennamo, Mark McGregor, Graham Branch, Gordon Armstrong, Mitchell Thomas, Joel Pilkington, Brad Maylett, Paul Cook, Tony Ellis, Robbie Blake, Lenny Johnrose. The subs will be chosen from: Earl Davis, James Salisbury, Mark Rasmussen, Matthew O'Neill, Andrew Waine, Andrew Leeson, Paul Scott. We also have news of the Oldham team and they include a Manchester United player in their team, 18 year-old full back Steven Clegg along with Argentinian Cristian Colusso. There is also some experience in the Oldham side. It is two years this week since we signed Ian Wright and on his debut he was marked by Wigan’s Stuart Balmer. After a move to Oldham in the summer he finds himself lining up against our reserves tonight as do goalkeeper Gary Kelly, Paul Rickers and John Eyre a summer signing from Hull. Oldham have made one change from the original line up, Matthew Tipton has this morning signed for Macclesfield Town on a free transfer and his place is taken by Scott Vernon. The Oldham line up is: Gary Kelly, Steven Clegg, Stuart Balmer, Dean Holden, Ben Smith, Paul Rickers, Danny Boshell, Lee Hardy, Scott Vernon, John Eyre, Cristian Colusso. Subs: Michael Davenport, Chris Grange, Danny Hall, Joe Doran, Adam Griffin.
  


Contributions and letters should be sent to Gary Davies by e-mail at LaticsGary@ntlworld.comor at Boundary Bullet-zine,41 Verney Road,Royton,Oldham,United Kingdom.OL2 6AZ07786 928689Or in the Setons Chaddy end Row R Seats 67 & 68Boundary Bullet-zine Archive can be found at http://www.oocities.org/laticsgary.geo.The views expressed on this e-zine are not the views of Oldham Athletic F.C. nor necessarily the views of the Editor.This e-zine is a unofficial publication NOT sanctioned by Oldham Athletic Football Club.The editor will not publish any letters containing bad language.This e-zine is written using Microsoft Outlook Express and is best viewed with the HTML (rich) text option enabled.