Driving from the road from B'Buga to the bypass around the Luqa runway, take the left hand turn after passing the Peace Laboratory. Along this road, look for a farmhouse to the left bearing an amateurish representation of a bullfight. The 'tower' may be reached by following an overgrown lane near this farmhouse
Tal-Gawhar is the best known round building attributed to the classical period. It was already documented in 1647 by G.F. Abela who had described a number of cisterns in the area. The northern side (see above photo) is preserved to a height of 5 metres. Two other similar buildings (Tal-Bakkari and Tat-Torriet) are also present in the area.
Although Bronze Age and Punic pottery were found in the
area, excavations in the 1960s had suggested that significant use of this
building was made in the third century, possibly associated with the invasions
of the Heruli into the Mediterranean. Finds made in the tower included
an iron axe, two bronze buckets and a carbonized bread.
Contact author by E-Mail