The catacombs are located immediately to the east of the roundabout found between Triq il-Qrendi and Triq il-Konvoj ta' Santa Marija at Mqabba.
These catacombs were discovered in 1860 by Caruana and Captain Strickland and originally consisted of three separate hypogea now joined together to form one complex.
The catacomb is mostly known for the ornate scallop-shell
decorations on the conchs of several window tombs and the eight pyramidal
'lamp-holes' opposite the agape table. The rich decoration of the complex
can also be appreciated through a number of decorated pilasters decorating
the entrances to the window-tombs.
Contact author by E-Mail