The only gothic building in Malta was the Cathedral of Mdina which collapsed in the earthquake of 1693. All the remaining buildings in this idiom are of a neo-gothic style rather than in pure gothic style.
Re-introduced by the British, it was adopted in the building of St. Andrew's church in Valletta, the Trinity Church and rectory at Sliema, Sliema Point Battery and the Floriana Methodist church.
In the late nineteenth century it was adopted by noble Maltese families for country villas at Mgarr, Rabat and Lija. The chapel of St. Simeon (see picture) is a private chapel belonging to one suc villa at Wardija.
A splendid use of this style occurs in Emanuele Luigi
Galizia's Addolorata Cemetery and the Chapel of Our Lady of Lourdes at
Mgarr Harbour, Gozo.
Mahoney L.: 5000 years of Architecture in Malta
pp 235-236, 269
Contact author by E-Mail