Whenever the situation presented
itself, the Saint’s disciples would unquestionably go to him for help throughout
the centuries. Although it could be said that his cult developed since
the death of the Saint, the first and most important manifestation was
the solemn and wonderous transportation of his moral remains to Cadossa
in Diano on September 27, 1261.
Cono’s priestly vestments were
worshipped by his cult and were first deposited in the Church of the Blessed
Virgin Mary run by the Celestine Fathers. They also took part in Saint
Cono’s cult. Since the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary neighbors the
walls of the city and possessed the Saint’s sacred deposits in an exposed
manner, it was also exposed, especially during the night to the dangers
of profanity. Because of this, the remains were decided by the University
of Diano, to be transferred to the Church of Saint Mary Maggiore where
it has always been worshipped by the public cult. The remains are erect
on the altar where priests and bishops have celebrated Holy Mass. The relics
are watched over by numerous lamps that are kept lit by vows of pilgrims,
Dianesi citizens and foreigners who enrich the chapel with gifts, vows,
etc.
In 1333, there appeared an empty
bell with a halved figure on it. In the figure was the writing “Saint Cono"
which later also appeared as a fresco on the walls of the churches and
sketched on the walls of civil inhabitants.
Pope Innocenzo IV gave to Cono
the tile of Saint in a Papal Bill dated in Avignone directed at the Abbott
of the Monastery of Saint Cono in Camerata, province of Salerno. The priests
unanimously did not protest, but instead implicitly approved and favored
this cult. They not only worshipped the relics publicly but also invoked
Cono with the title of Sainthood.
With the consent of the local
priests, there are in many neighboring towns all kinds of chapels made
in honor of the Servant of God.
Pope Sisto V in a papal brief
called Cono blessed and blessed he was also called in an ecclesiastic conference
in Consenza written by General Vico of the diocese Fabio Romano, a fellow
citizen. In 1600 it was common practice to give to newborns the name Cono.
Saint Mary Maggiorre is adorned
by two artistic statues: that of Venuta, of 1714 and the beautiful one
of Saint Cono, by the sculpture of Padula Andrea Cariella.
On July 1, 1740, Cono Luchini
del Verme, Bishop of Ostumi a fellow citizen consecrated the marble statue
of Saint Cono and on that anniversary day granted indulgences for anyone
who visited the statue. The feast days in honor of the Saint are honored
with special rites and preceded by relative Novenas. On June 3, the Bishops
celebrate the Pontifical Mass and take part in the Procession of the Statue.
By the request of the Bishop of Teggiano, Monsignor Fanelli, Cono’s public
cult has been active for over 600 years. This was solemnly confirmed by
Pio X, April 27, 1871. This act declared Cono a Saint.