--- CHAPTER X ---


THE GLORY OF SANCTITY

The sanctity of Saint Cono was solemnly proclaimed on April 27, 1871. Through an extraordinary proceeding ordered by Pope Urban VIII’s Constitution, the secular cult of Saint Cono along with the tactic consent of the Church obtained solemn confirmation and approval from Romano Pontefice Pio IX. In this way the Pope in the constitution of the erection of the Diano diocese gave to Cono the title of Sainthood, and proclaimed our citizen (Cono) with all the rights and perogatives to canonize in the ordinary way.

Whenever the situation presented itself, the Saint’s disciples would unquestionably go to him for help throughout the centuries. Although it could be said that his cult developed since the death of the Saint, the first and most important manifestation was the solemn and wonderous transportation of his moral remains to Cadossa in Diano on September 27, 1261.

Cono’s priestly vestments were worshipped by his cult and were first deposited in the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary run by the Celestine Fathers. They also took part in Saint Cono’s cult. Since the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary neighbors the walls of the city and possessed the Saint’s sacred deposits in an exposed manner, it was also exposed, especially during the night to the dangers of profanity. Because of this, the remains were decided by the University of Diano, to be transferred to the Church of Saint Mary Maggiore where it has always been worshipped by the public cult. The remains are erect on the altar where priests and bishops have celebrated Holy Mass. The relics are watched over by numerous lamps that are kept lit by vows of pilgrims, Dianesi citizens and foreigners who enrich the chapel with gifts, vows, etc.

In 1333, there appeared an empty bell with a halved figure on it. In the figure was the writing “Saint Cono" which later also appeared as a fresco on the walls of the churches and sketched on the walls of civil inhabitants.

Pope Innocenzo IV gave to Cono the tile of Saint in a Papal Bill dated in Avignone directed at the Abbott of the Monastery of Saint Cono in Camerata, province of Salerno. The priests unanimously did not protest, but instead implicitly approved and favored this cult. They not only worshipped the relics publicly but also invoked Cono with the title of Sainthood.

With the consent of the local priests, there are in many neighboring towns all kinds of chapels made in honor of the Servant of God.

Pope Sisto V in a papal brief called Cono blessed and blessed he was also called in an ecclesiastic conference in Consenza written by General Vico of the diocese Fabio Romano, a fellow citizen. In 1600 it was common practice to give to newborns the name Cono.

Saint Mary Maggiorre is adorned by two artistic statues: that of Venuta, of 1714 and the beautiful one of Saint Cono, by the sculpture of Padula Andrea Cariella.

On July 1, 1740, Cono Luchini del Verme, Bishop of Ostumi a fellow citizen consecrated the marble statue of Saint Cono and on that anniversary day granted indulgences for anyone who visited the statue. The feast days in honor of the Saint are honored with special rites and preceded by relative Novenas. On June 3, the Bishops celebrate the Pontifical Mass and take part in the Procession of the Statue. By the request of the Bishop of Teggiano, Monsignor Fanelli, Cono’s public cult has been active for over 600 years. This was solemnly confirmed by Pio X, April 27, 1871. This act declared Cono a Saint.
 


Go To Index | Next Chapter