<BGSOUND src="//www.oocities.org/travelwaves4u/Thai2.mid" LOOP=INFINITE>



Trip done by private car


241/4 Ruamchit Rd
Phetchaburi 76120
Tel: 032/471314, 471203, 470780
Rate: Bungalowstyle 600 Bht, double room 800 Bht



Wide and long beach popular among Thais 7 Km south of Hat Chao Samran and still located in Petchaburi province. In the water stands a large statue commemorating Phra Apai Mani. Food, drinks, chairs and umbrellas are largely available. The beach is although not very clean anymore. Appropriate actions by the local government in order to get this beach clean again are necessary.


This beautiful beach twin sister of Hua Hin beach in Phrachuap Khiri Khan province, is located 40 Km south of Petchaburi. Cha-am was originally a small fishing village. After a royal palace was built near Hua Hin in the reign of King Rama VI, the area was used by the royal family and the Thai elite. Today it is very popular among Thais. More and more foreigners are finding there way to this beach. There are plenty of good accommodation and restaurants.


This palace, midway between Hua Hin and Cha Am, was built by King Rama VI as a rainy season retreat in 1923 and finished in 1924. Known as ?the palace of love and hope?, the palace has recently been renovated. The elevated teak walkways and airy rooms provide a beautiful view of the beach and Gulf of Thailand. The palace is located within the grounds of a Border Patrol Police camp. Motor transportation is recommended as it is a few Km from the main gate on Petchkasem Road back to the beach. The summer palace was designed by the King himself. Ercole Manfreddy, an Italian architect, attached to the public works department of the Royal Thai Government drew up the plans in accordance with the Kings' sketches. The wooden palace is a high living floor style with a hip roof form; its ground floor is concreted with pathways connected to each palace. The concrete pillars holding up the teak palace all have niches around the pillars which where filled with water to keep ants from climbing up into the residence. The construction was began in 1923 and finished in 1924. There are 3 groups of buildings: the king?s private palace 'Phisal Sakhorn' throne hall, his consort Queen Indra Saksaji?s private palace 'Sunthorn Phiman' throne hall and 'Samosorn Sawekmatra' the royal theatre and hall. The buildings were connected by covered walkways. The only remaining house built for the entourage of the King is the residence of Chao Phraya Ramrakop, the general aide-de-camp and page to the King. It is a typical seaside house of the 1900s with open verandas and a tiled hip-roof. The general could see the signal lights from the palace: yellow to signify the King was getting dressed for dinner, so the general could proceed to the palace before the signal changed to green, meaning the King was at the dining table.