<BGSOUND src="//www.oocities.org/travelwaves4u/Thai1.mid" LOOP=INFINITE>




Day 1: Bangkok - Song Phi Nong - U Thong - Suphanburi.
Day 2: Suphanburi - Nakhon Sawan
Day 3: Nakhon Sawan - Kamphaeng Phet - Sukhothai
Day 4: Sukhothai
Day 5: Si Satchanalai - Phitsanulok
Day 6: Phitsanulok - Singhburi - Bangkok




Air-conditioned Mini bus
Contact Khun Somchai
01/8248634     Int +66-1/8248634


135/1 Prachathipatai Rd.,Tha Peeleang
Suphanburi 72000
Tel: 035/522555-7, 035/546667-71
Facilities: Room Service, Satellite TV, Refrigerator, Television, Hair Dryer,
Traditional Thai Massage, Hot Water, Key-card Entry, Minibar,
Bathroom, Bathtub, Air conditioning, Fax, IDD, Hanger
Children's Pool, Pool Bar, Swimming Pool
Paid rate: 600 Baht (double including ABF)

605/244 Asia highway
Nakhon Sawan 60000
Tel: 056/312217-36  056/228201-10
Fax: 056/221253
Paid rate: 800 Baht (double including ABF)
284 rooms including bath, mini bar, TV and air conditioning

10 Moo 1 Jarodvithithong Rd.,Nai Muang
Sukhothai 64210
Tel: 055/613310-5
Facilities: Room Service, Satellite TV, Refrigerator, Television, Hot Water
, Key-card Entry, Computer Outlet, mini bar, Balcony, Radio, Bathroom,
Bathtub, Air conditioning, Cable, IDD, Hanger
Swimming pool
Paid rate: 1200 Baht (double including ABF)

99 Moo 7,Sarmruen, Srisamrong
Sukhothai 64120
Tel: 055/681696-700
Fax: 055/681697
Facilities: Room Service, Satellite TV, Refrigerator, Television,
Hot Water, mini bar, Balcony, Radio, Bathroom, Bathtub,
Heater, Air conditioning, IDD, Hanger
Pool Table, Snooker Table, Pool Bar, Swimming Pool
Paid rate: 1000 Baht (double including ABF)

68/33 Akatodsarod Rd.,Nai Muang
Phitsanulok 65000
Tel: 055/247800-14
Fax: 055/247815, 245395
E-mail: phsoffice@toplandhotel.com
Facilities: Room Service, Satellite TV, In-room Safe, Refrigerator,
Television, Hair Dryer, Traditional Thai Massage, Hot Water, Key-card Entry,
Computer Outlet, mini bar, Bathroom, Jacuzzi, Bathtub, Air condition
Children's Pool, Game room, Gym, Snooker Table, Pool Bar,
Swimming Pool, Whirlpool
Paid rate: 1250 Baht (double including ABF)



Temple located at Song Phi Nong, 43 Km from Suphanburi on the way to Bangkok. It houses the largest metal cast Buddha image of the world called "Phra Phutthakhodom". The image has a lap width of 10 meters and a height of 26 meters.


U-Thong ancient town is located about 30 Km east of Suphanburi near the Chorakhe Sam Phan River. The museum exhibits artefacts and archaeological materials, such as tools, utensils, and Buddha images found from excavations, shows the development of communities settled in Suphanburi during different periods. The museum is closed on Monday and Tuesday. Entry fee is 30 Baht.


The city, built in the Dvaravati period (10th Century), was in ancient times known as Suwanphumi or Suvarnabhumi (land of gold) and afterwards U Thong (source of gold). At that time, the city walls were made of soil and surrounded the city in a rectangle shape parallel to the Tha Chin (or Suphan Buri) River, 4 Km long and 1 Km wide. The Cambodians occupied the kingdom of Dvaravati until around 1238 the Thai people defeated the latter. King Ramkamhaeng, the third ruler of Sukhothai, recalled the tributary city Suphanphum (the region of gold). The name of the city appears in the stone inscription of King Ramkamhaeng, found in Sukhothai. The former prince of U Thong (Phya U Thong) annexed a large portion of the dominions of the Sukhothai kingdom reigned by King Lue Thai (Nakhon Srithammarat, Ratchaburi and Petchaburi). Parts of the Cambodian empire (Tennaserim and Tavoy) were annexed by this warrior prince around 1325 including Lopburi, Ayutthaya and Chantabun. Due to a cholera epidemic early 1348, the prince of U Thong (descending from the Chieng Saen princes and probably a distant relative of King Mengrai of the Lanna Thai kingdom), son in law of the former Phya U Thong, evacuated the city and took the people to the south of present Ayutthaya. After the epidemic ceased, King U Thong nominated Khun Luang Pagnua as ruler of the city and renamed it Suphanburi. The King himself founded the city of Ayutthaya officially in 1350 and assumed the title of Rama Thibodi I. During the Ayutthaya period Suphanburi was a stronghold for the capital city. Suphanburi is also the hometown of Khun Phan, personage known from the Thai literature (Khun Chang-Khun Phaen), a classic Thai poem written by Sunthon Phu, a poet of Thailand during the early Bangkok period.


The temple is located on the west bank of the Tha Chin River in Suphanburi town. Locally called Wat Phrathat, it was constructed by Khun Luang Pagnua - brother in law of King U Thong - during the early Ayutthaya period. It houses a large U-Thong style pagoda with Lord Buddha's relics. The temple has a Lopburi Khmer style prang on the premises.


A very old temple located on the west bank of the Tha Chin River, believed to have been built some 800 years ago. A huge sitting Buddha image named "Luang Pho To" 23 meters in height, is enshrined in the main chapel. The image was originally situated in the open and was later covered by a vihara. In addition, an old Thai style house called "Chum Khun Chang" has been built in the temple compound. The design of the construction followed the description of the "Khun Chang-Khun Phaen" poem.


Old temple mentioned in the classic Thai poem Khun Chang-Khun Phaen, housing a very old giant tamarind tree and ancient Thai style houses called Khum Khun Phaen.


Temple of the early Ayutthaya period located opposite the City Hall with a museum on the premises exposing ancient artefacts.



Temple located on the west bank of the Tha Chin River opposite the town's market built during the early Ayutthaya period. The temple houses a 13-metre long reclining Buddha image called by the villagers "Nen Kaeo" and Buddha's footprint made of wood, the only one existing in Thailand.


Temple with an old reclining Buddha image in Sukhothai style, identical at the one found in Kushinagar - India, the latter being the place where Buddha Gautama past away. At the river on the temple site thousands of fish are found.


About thirty Km north-west of Suphanburi on Route 322 is Don Chedi, a very famous battle site and early war memorial. It was here (near Nong Sa Rai) that King Naresuan defeated the crown prince of Burma Min Chit Swa in an elephant battle on 25 January 1592, repelling a serious Burmese invasion. The second Burmese army, arriving at the Mae Lamao Pass, was recalled by the King of Burma. The chedi was afterwards constructed by the royal command of King Naresuan the Great to commemorate his victory against the Burmese. It was neglected in the centuries afterwards and its location been forgotten. Rama V (Chulalongkorn) began a search for the site but it was not until three years after his death in 1913 that Prince Damrong, an accomplished archaeologist, rediscovered the chedi in Suphanburi Province. The chedi was restored in 1955 and in 1999 an exhibition hall was added to the ground floor of the chedi, containing a museum of the life of King Naresuan and the great elephant battle. The exhibition is in both English and Thai.

Wat Kaaw Naang Bhoat

Old temple located on the road from Suphanburi to Chainat (Route 340). The ubosot houses still an intact Buddha (not decapitated by the Burmese) of the Ayutthaya period. It takes 249 steps to reach the temple on the hill. King Chulalongkorn (Rama V) went to this temple in 1908 by boat via the Makhamthaw khlong in order to retrieve the remains of the deceased abbot Phra Ajarn Thammachod out of his meditation cave and to execute the latter's cremation ritual. Afterwards the King planted a tree in the middle of the premises in remembrance.



Geographically located in the Lower North on the bank of the Ping River, Kamphaeng Phet is 358 Km from Bangkok. Major features in the Kamphaeng Phet Historical Park (A UNESCO world heritage) include the archaeological remains of the ancient sites such as Chakangrao to the east of the Ping River, Nakhon Chum to the west and Trai Trung some 18 kilometers from the town to the southwest. The name Kamphaeng Phet actually means diamond wall. Chakangrao was built around 1157 by the Cambodians as a military city. In the period of Sukhothai, King Li Thai 5thammaracha I) moved the political and administrative centre to Nakhon Chum on the west bank of the Ping River, although not for long. After the death of King Li Thai in 1371, Chakangroa became again the centre. It is believed by some historians that the re-establishment of Chakangrao was manoeuvred by the Kingdom of Ayutthaya so as to minimize the importance of Nakhon Chum which was closely allied with Sukhothai at that time. King Borommarachathirat I of Ayutthaya, the former Khun Luang Pagnua (1370-1388) combined the two cities of Chakangrao and Nakhon Chum and called it Khampaeng Phet. The name of Kamphaeng Phet was indicated for the first time in 1397 on a stone inscription.
Nakhon Chum was situated at the mouth of the Suan Mak canal. The plan of town was a rectangular shape of 400 x 2900 m and enclosed with three earthen ramparts identical to Sukhothai. It is in this area that the famous religious tablets of Kamphaeng Phet have been discovered. A group of important temples and a fortress are located in the south outside the town walls. Most of the monuments in Nakhon Chum were not of vast size and made of brick in Sukhothai style.
Chakangrao was laid out in a trapezium plan with its length parallel to the river and enclosed by a town wall of 2200 m in the north, 2000 m in the south and a width of 500 m in the east and 250 m in the west. Originally the town wall was composed of earthen ramparts and a moat. The inner wall was rebuilt in laterite and fortified with battlements and parapets on top including gates and watchtowers during the Ayutthaya period likely during the reign of King Borommatrailokanat (1448 - 1488). The city had the same town planning concept as Sukhothai and Si Satchanalai, with separate zones for religious sites both within and outside of town limits. Structures were usually large and made of laterite.
Kamphaeng Phet took during the Ayutthaya period active part in protecting the kingdom against enemies, especially the Burmese. The town was of vital strategic importance for both offence and defence. After the sack of Ayutthaya in 1567 by the Burmese, Kamphaeng Phet became deserted and people resettled after the war outside the town walls. The entry fee to the historical park is 40 Baht for foreigners.

Visited important Nakhon Chum sites

Wat Phra Borom That

Following the Nakhon Chum stone inscription, King Li Thai founded the stupa named Phra Si Rattana Mahathat in Nakhon Chum in 1357. This stupa was originally made of brick in lotus-bud shape of the Sukhothai style. In the reign of King Chulalongkorn the chedi was enlarged with the Kings' permission in Burmese style by a Burmese merchant known as Phraya Taka. To the south is an ubosot housing several Sukhothai-style and Ayutthaya-style bronze Buddha statues.

Wat Chedi Klang Thung

Temple enclosed with a ditch to form its boundary line. The main stupa consists of a rectangular base of three superimposed tiers, a base of receding tiers in the form of an overturned and upturned lotus, superimposed mouldings and the body of a lotus bud chedi with 20 indented corners.

Thung Setthi Fortress

Fortress made of laterite in square form with a length of 84 m per side. The fortress was fortified by battlements and enclosed by parapets with openings for shooting. Watchtowers were constructed at the four corners. The fortress was likely built in the middle Ayutthaya period under the influence of European architecture.

Visited important Chakangrao sites

Wat Phra Kaeo

A large royal temple in the town centre near a site with a square earthen wall (Sa Mon) believed to have been the palace. The temple itself was used on important city events and had no monks in residence. Major features include the principal chedi with lion-adorned base and a round chedi with elephant-adorned base. There are also other Chedi of different bases and remains of several chapels. Its boundary is marked off by laterite walls.

Wat Phra That

Second in size to Wat Phra Kaeo is Wat Phra That, a temple laid out in rectangular shape. The lay out of the temple is a combination of the Sukhothai and Ayutthaya styles. Buildings were constructed in line with the east-west axis. The temple wall was made of laterite and brick with the only gate on the eastern side of the wall. The principal bell shaped chedi is built of mixture of laterite and bricks with a 15-metre wide octagonal base of several receding tiers. The form of the principal chedi is regarded as a characteristic of the architectural style of Kamphaeng Phet.

Wat Phra Non

Located outside the town wall. Fenced in by laterite walls on four sides. At the front of the temple are a square-shaped pond, washrooms and an ancient floating pavilion which is supported by a large laterite column. The entire column was cut out in one single piece from its source and measures 1 meter wide and 4 to 5 meters in height, the largest such stone in the country. A lion sculpture and sema stones (boundary stones) can still be discerned. The large vihara which once housed the Reclining Buddha has crumbled entirely.

Wat Phra Si lriyabot

Has similar pond and washroom facilities as Wat Phra Non. Walls on the four sides are of laterite materials with an entrance also made of laterite. A mondop structure houses Buddha statues in four postures-walking, sitting, standing and reclining in the Sukhothai artistic style. Today only the statue in the standing posture remains.

Wat Singha

Located to the north of Wat Phra Si Iriyaboth, the temple was laid out in rectangular shape and enclosed on four sides with a laterite wall. Believed to have been constructed during the Sukhothai period as a vihara and adapted in the Ayutthaya period as an ubosot or ordination hall. It has a square-shaped principal Chedi with arches on four sides. In front of the ubosot are ornamental lions and Naga figures.

Wat Chang Rop

Large temple situated on the highest point of the Aranyik area facing in eastward direction. Its main chedi of Ceylonese style was built in bell shape of vast size modified from a type of a chedi surrounded with 68 elephant sculptures in Sukhothai style. There are traces of a laterite wall in the east and south. In front of the main chedi is a laterite base of a vihara and a rectangular pond dug into a bed of laterite.


Sukhothai which literally means Dawn of Happiness with an area of 6,596 square kilometres, is about 427 Km north of Bangkok, and was founded in 1238. Sukhothai was the capital of Thailand for approximately 120 years. Thai Sukhothai Historical Park is located 12 Km from town on the Sukhothai-Tak Highway. It is open daily 8.30 a.m. - 4.30 p.m. Ruins of the royal palaces, Buddhist temples, the city gates, walls, moats, dams, ditches, ponds, canals, and the water dyke control system, which was the magical and spiritual centre of the Kingdom, are now preserved and have been restored by the Fine Arts Department with the cooperation of UNESCO. The north and the south walls of the ancient city are each 2000 m long, where as the east and the west walls are each 1600 m long. The walls contain four main gates. A stone inscription mentions that King Ramkhamhaeng set up a bell at one of the gates. If his subject needed help, they would ring the bell and the King would come out to settle disputes and dispense justice. The entry fee to the historical park is 40 Baht for foreigners. Entry with a car costs an extra 50 Baht. It is possible to hire bicycles in the vicinity of entry to the park.

Visited monuments within the city walls

Wat Mai

The temple, having a brick vihara as the main sanctuary, is in Ayutthaya style. The columns of the vihara are made of laterite.

Wat Mahathat

The temple is built in accordance with the Indian concept of Mandala. This significant temple comprises of the main chedi, a vihara and mondop buildings, an ubosot and 200 subordinate chedi. The main chedi has a graceful lotus-bud shape characterizing the Sukhothai art. Among the 8 chedi forming the 4 sides of the main stupa, the four ones at the corners belong to the Hariphunchai-Lanna style while the other 4 lying in between have a prasa shaped bofy topped with a spire in Sukhothai style and decorated with stuccoed relief under the influence of Sri Lankan art. Two standing Buddha images of 12 m in height - referred to in the stone inscriptions as Phra Attharot - are enshrined in mondop buildings situated on both sides of the principal chedi. Within the compound there is a group of 5 stupas situated to the south of the chedi. At its centre stands the one with 5 spires, second to the main chedi in size. It is believed that the relics of King Li Thai have been enshrined here.

Wat Si Sawai

The three Prangs imitating Hindu Shikhara Vimanas are regarded as ancient monuments of considerable importance.  Demarcated by a wall, the three prangs were built in Lopburi style. The ruin was once a Hindu sanctuary and later converted into a Buddhist monastery with some expansion of the frontal part in form of a vihara.

Wat Tra Phang Ngoen

This ancient temple without boundary wall is composed of the main chedi, a vihara and an ubosot in the middle of a reservoir called Tra Phang Ngoen. The main chedi was built in the shape of a lotus bud with four niches to enshrine standing and walking Buddha images. The construction of the ordination hall on an island in the middle of the reservoir is in accordance with the concept known as Udaka Sima or Nadi Sima, which means the demarcation of the precincts of the ordination hall with water as a symbol of purity.

Wat Sa Si

This monument was built beautifully in the middle of a reservoir called Tra Phang Tra Kuan. Its buildings include a chedi in bell shape, a vihara and the ordination hall in the middle of the reservoir. The round stupa serves as historical evidence of the diffusion of Sinhalese Buddhism in Sukhothai. To the south stand nine chedi of different sizes.

King Ramkhamhaeng Monument

Situated to the north of Wat Mahathat stands the bronze statue of King Ramkhamhaeng sitting on a throne with a bas-relief recording his life. King Ramkhamhaeng made Sukhothai a powerful and extensive kingdom which included many parts of what are today neighbouring countries. He opened direct political relations with China and made two trips to China - the first in 1282 to visit Emperor Kublai Khan and the second in 1300 after Kublai Khan's death. From the second visit, he brought back Chinese artisans who taught the Thais the art of pottery. Today, the old 'Sangkhalok Potteries' are eagerly sought by collectors. A major achievement of King Ramkhamhaeng was the revision of various forms of Khmer alphabets into a system suitable for the writing of Thai words. The alphabet that he invented in 1282 was essentially the same as that in use today.

Wat Chana Songkram

This temple was formerly known as Wat Ratchaburana. The most imposing building is the main chedi in circular bell shape of vast size. In the east are a vihara, an ordination hall and subordinate chedi.

Visited monuments outside the city walls

Ta Pha Daeng shrine

Also known as Theparak Yai shrine and built in Khmer style on a base adorned with lotus mouldings. This monument serves as evidence for the embrace of Khmer culture and Hinduism in this area around the late 12th century.

Wat Mae Chon

Temple composed of a vihara of 5 chambers and 3 chedi behind it. The site includes an ancient well.

Wat Tuk/Wat Pa Mamuang

Square shaped mondop housing a stucco Buddha image. The temple is believed to be part of Wat Pa Mamuang. The latter is mentioned in several stone inscriptions of the Sukhothai period. Following a stone inscription, King Li Thai was ordained as priest here in 1362. The remains of the temple include the ordination hall and some chedi.

Wat Khao Phra Bat Noi

Important ancient monument including a bell shaped chedi with niches to enshrine Buddha images on the four sides and its body covered with thin lines as distinctive feature, a vihara enshrining 4 Buddha footprints currently exhibited at the Ram Khamhaeng National museum, buildings for monks to practice meditation and a large chedi made of laterite.

Wat Aranyik

Small vihara with laterite columns and a pedestal. To the west of it is a rectangular laterite platform 11 m long, with small columns. It looks like a place were alms bowls were put out. South of the slate footpath are the stone foundations of some kuti (dwelling place for the monks).

Wat Saphan Hin

Situated on a hill of 50 m high, this temple is well known for a Buddha image - called attharot - of large size as was mentioned in Ramkhamhaengs' stone inscription. An ascent of 300 m long from the foot of the hill to the temple was built and paved with slabs of slate, from which the name of the temple was derived. On the way stands a small chedi in the form of a lotus bud tower.

Wat Si Chum

This site contains a monumental stucco-over-brick Buddha image in the attitude of subduing Mara called ''Phra Achana'' .This Buddha with its lap of 11.30 m wide occupies the total space of the building. The mondapa is 32 metres square and 15 metres high, and the walls are 3 m thick. There is a passageway in the left inner wall itself which leads to the above crossbeam. On the ceiling of the passageway are more than fifty engraved slate slabs illustrating Jataka scenes. The passage is actually closed. Entry fee to the monument is 30 Baht.

Wat Phra Phai Luang

A group of monuments considered of great significance, because its buildings, constructed in different phases, have left impressive evidence of the evolution of Sukhothai art and architecture. The group of monuments was enclosed with a square moat of 600 m long for each side. The oldest monument had three prangs, but the southern and the central ones have crumbled leaving only the northern one, decorated with stucco relief depicting the story of Buddha. In front of these prangs are a vihara and a crumbled chedi. The latter has a pedestal decorated with stucco seated Buddha images. A mondapa likely belonging to the late Sukhothai period contains ruined Buddha images in four postures; sitting, reclining, standing, and walking.


Si Satchanalai Historical Park is located on the bank of the Yom River at Tambon Muang Kao, Amphoe Si Satchanalai. The ancient town, formerly called ''Muang Chaliang,'' was named ''Si Satchanalai'' during the reign of Phra Ruang when a new administrative centre was established to replace Chaliang. Ruins of 134 monuments have been discovered within the park: Si Satchanalai Historical Park is open daily between 8.30 a.m. - 4.30 p.m. The entry fee to the historical park is 40 Baht for foreigners. Entry with a car costs an extra 50 Baht.

Visited monuments within the city walls

Wat Chang Lom

The most important building in this temple is the main chedi of Sri Lankan style bounded by a demarcation wall. The base of the chedi is high and square in its shape. The front side of the base was decorated with 8 elephant sculptures while the other sides were decorated with 9 elephants. There was one sculpture at each corner of the base. Altogether there were 39 elephant sculptures around the base. Above the chedi base there are niches enshrining images of the Buddha subduing Mara.

Wat Chedi Chet Thaeo

This temple is one of the most beautiful temples in Sukhothai province. The temple contains a main chedi with lotus shaped top, a vihara and 33 subordinate chedi. The construction was bounded with a demarcation wall and originally surrounded by a ditch. The subordinate chedis bear various styles such as Sri Lankan, Pagan and Srivijaya. Mural paintings, although seriously damaged, are still to be seen in some chedi.

Wat Suan Kaeo Utthayan Yai

Temple located near What Chedi Chet Thaeo with only a dirt road in between. A large image hall lies in remains within this temple. The monastery is also called Wat Kao Hong or the 9 roomed temple. The buildings were bounded by demarcation walls made from laterite blocks.

Wat Nang Phaya

Famous for its delicate stucco relief from the early Ayutthaya period on the remains of the north-western wall of the vihara. The main chedi is of Sri Lankan style. The pillars of the vihara are decorated with unglazed ceramic designs. The central laterite chedi is surrounded by lampposts and accessible by a set of narrow stairs.

Wat Khao Suwan Khiri

A hill top temple situated 200 m away from Phanom Phloeng hill. A huge-bell shaped chedi on a 5-tiered base is the centre of the temple. Ruins of a vihara and chedi, a fragment of huge stucco figures lie scattered on the ground. The similarity between some figures here and those at Wat Chang Lom in Sukhothai lead to the belief that it was King Ramkhamhaeng who had this temple constructed.

Visited monuments at Chaliang

Wat Phra Si Rattana Mahathat

Temple also called Wat Phra Borommathat Muang Chaliang or Wat Phra Prang is situated 3 Km south of ancient Si Satchanalai's walls. An immense laterite Prang on a square base marks the central part of the temple. A steep staircase in front of the huge Prang leads to a room where a reliquary is enshrined. The decorative stucco bears the ancient Khmer Bayon art style. The temple was built prior to the Sukhothai period, likely around 1237 during the time of Pho Khun Si Nao Thom.

Wat Chom Chuen

The temple compound includes a main chedi of Sri Lankan style, a vihara and a mondop all built from laterite. Excavations pointed out that the temple was built in the pre-Sukhothai period. There is a small museum, regarding the excavations executed in 1993-94.

Wat Chao Chan

Temple originating from the pre-Sukhothai period. The structure includes a main shrine built from laterite blocks in Khmer architectural style. Archaeological evidence suggests that some brick buildings from the Dvaravati period might have been present before the Khmer style shrine replaced them.

Celadon Kiln Site Study and Conservation Centre

The site is located at Ban Ko Noi, some 4 Km north of Si Satchanalai. More than 500 kilns have been excavated up to now. Numerous celadon wares in perfect condition as well as potsherds have been discovered. The kiln is oval in shape with a curved roof and is 7 to 8 m wide. The centre consists of 2 buildings situated on the kiln site area with 2 kilns No 42 and 61 exhibited on site. There are also exhibitions on artefacts and on the evolution of ancient ceramic wares.


Phitsanulok is situated on the banks of the Nan River some 377 Km from Bangkok. Historically, Phitsanulok has been a major community since the time of the Khmers and enjoyed great prosperity during the Sukhothai and Ayutthaya periods. During 1463-1487 it was practically another royal capital as King Borom Trailokanat of Ayutthaya resided permanently in the province.

Wat Phra Si Mahathat

Commonly called Wat Yai by the people, is on the east bank of the Nan River in town limit. The vihara of the temple houses what is regarded as the most beautiful and graceful Buddha statue in Thailand, the large bronze sitting statue of Phra Phutthachinarat in the Sukhothai style. Other prominent features of the temple include the large pearl-inlaid doors of the vihara made in circa 1756 by royal craftsmen of the late Ayutthaya Period. Another is Phra Attharot an 8 m tall, standing statue cast in the same period and Phra Phutthachinarat (circa 1257). Originally housed in a large vihara, today it stands in the open air as the covering building has crumbled. The principal prang of early Ayutthaya style was originally a lotus bud-shape chedi of a style called Phum Khao Bin regarded as genuine Sukhothai. It was altered during the Ayutthaya period.


Wat Chula Mani

The oldest temple in Phitsanulok situated on the east bank of the Nan and once the site of the original town. King Borom Trailokanat, accompanied by more than 2,000 followers was ordained as a monk here in 1416. An important ancient structure in the temple is the mondop containing a Buddha footprint and inscription stone built by King Narai of Ayutthaya. There is also a Khmer-style Prang (pagoda) built with laterite and adorned with the intricate design of a swan. The King Naresuan shrine is located at the site which was once the Chan Palace, the birthplace of Naresuan the Great. Within the shrine is a statue of the king in the posture of declaring independence from Burma. The entire site of the palace has been restored and renovated as a major historical area.

Wat Phra Prang

This ancient site is located in T. Choeng Klat, A. Bang Rachan 17 Km west of the town. The temple contains an old pagoda in Lopburi style assumed to have been constructed during the reign of King Narai the Great. The prang measures 15 m high and has some Buddha images at its base. Not far from the pagoda, 3-4 ruined ancient kilns have been discovered. They were used for firing earthenware during the Ayutthaya period. A small piglet with an elephant head can be seen at the temple site.