Folk Dancing in the ACT
CIFDA (Canberra International Folk Dancing Association) Hughes Community Centre, 7.45 pm – 10.30 pm Wednesday's. $6 (includes supper). Contact 02 6281 3987, or 02 6231 5896
FDC (Folk Dance Canberra). Sessions most weekdays, day and evening for adults and children of all levels (beginner - advanced) with fully qualified teachers at the former Hackett Primary School Hall, 114 Maitland Street. Contact Christine Battisson (02) 6241 3563
Seniors Dance Classes (suit age 50+) at Woden Senior Citizens Centre, Corinna Street, Woden:
Thursdays 12:30 pm - 2 pm, contact Lorna: 02 6231 3563
Children's Classes at Hawker Primary School, contact Wendy Williamson at Hawker Primary School
Childrens Classes are held at Deakin and Curtin for:
Parent/toddler, Preschool, Junior and Senior Primary age groups.
Contact Virginia: (02) 6285 2192
SOME OTHER STYLES
- Bush and Colonial Dancing:
- The Monaro Folk Music Society holds bush dances on the last Saturday of every month at 8pm. From April to September, the venue is Merici College Hall, Wise St, Braddon but from October to March they are held in the historic Yarralumla Woolshed, just off the Cotter Road, very near Government House. The MFMS also holds special dances at various times. The Colonial Ball is the big event for the year and is normally booked out ahead. This year it will be held on the 16th September. Almost everyone comes resplendent in costumes of the 1800s and it is a magnificent spectacle to either watch or join. All welcome! Phone 0414 874 649 to book.
The Monaro Folk Music Society Dance News can be found at: Dance News. For further information contact Kevin: phone (02) 6282 2973 (home) or email: Lance Court.
"Dancing in the Park" is a feature of summer in Canberra. The MFMS runs FREE dances on Monday evenings from 3rd December 01 till the end of February 2002, 6:45pm at Stage 88 in Commonwealth Park. Dancers and musicians of all standards welcome. It is great fun, so come and join us! Bring insect repellent in case the mozzies are abroad and drinking water to rehydrate in between dances. Contact: Daryl on (02) 6295 8280
- Monaro Colonial & Heritage Dance Display Group:
- Performance Group, displaying traditional Australian social dance in full period costume. Meets 6pm on Friday evenings in O'Connor. Experienced dancers welcome. Contact Sandra (02) 6262 1582 (w).
- German Display Group:
- Meets on infrequent Tuesday evenings. Experienced dancers welcome, especially men. Contact Daryl (02) 6295 8280
- The Governor's Pleasure
- A dance display group specialising in the performance and research of early colonial (1788-1850) dance and music. All welcome, Mondays 8 pm, Church of Christ Hall, 82 Limestone Av, Ainslie. Contact Kit Clarke 6238 3532.
Gyöngyösbokréta Hungarian Folk Dance Group
- Tuesdays at 6:30pm at the Hungarian Club, Narrabundah, new members welcome. Contact by e-mail Tony Hegedues or visit their website by clicking on the link in the heading above.
- Israeli Dancing:
- Thursday evening 7.30 - 9pm at the New Creation Ministries Church Multi-Purpose Hall, Dixon Drive, Holder. Contact Verna: (02) 6288 2476
- Sundays: 4:00 - 6:00 pm at the National Jewish Centre, cnr Canberra
Ave/National Circuit, Forrest. Contact Mary: (02) 6247-0959.
- Morris Dancing:
- Brindabella Clog Morris dance North West Morris for women of all ages. Monday, from 7:45 pm Royals Rugby Club, Weston. Contact Lynn Reynell, 6291 0601(h)
- Canberra Morris Men practice at the Slovenian Club, Phillip, 8 pm, on alternate Tuesdays. New members very welcome, contact: Lee Hopson ph 6281 0119 or Tony Jowett ph 6288 6258(h)
- Molonglo Mayhem, a mixed side, practices on Thursdays from 8 pm. Musicians welcome. For information or venue contact Paul Carr on 6241 1934
- Scandinavian Folk Dance Group:
- Sundays 5pm at the Weston Scout Hall. Contact by e-mail Brad Sherman or phone 6288 3050 ah.
- Scottish Country Dancing:
Scottish Country Dances are held on most weekday evenings in Canberra and district. For contacts in the four dancing groups/clubs, and a calendar of events with programs and dance instructions, look at RSCDS Canberra
- Welsh & Cornish Dancing:
- Fridays 5:30 - 7.30pm. At 114, Maitland Road (old Hackett Primary School in 'Folk Dance Canberra's' rooms, contact Winifred 02 6230 4937 or Jean 02 6251 2478, $5.
* Denotes a site containing dance descriptions,
Denotes site newly added to this page
Europe and Middle East:
- Anglo-American Dance Server Belgium - sells Folk Dance resources
- Agapo Dance Group Holland
- Austrian folk-dancing
- Austrian and European Folk Dances and midi Tunes
- Barn Dances (UK) * contains many dances done in Australia as Bush Dances
- Sahatsa Basque Dance Group Spain
- Folklore Dancing Belgium folk dancing
- Bristol Fashion Dancers Playford Style
- Cecil Sharp House, London
- Cypriot Folk Dancing
- Dansifrři Folk Dancing on the Faroe Islands
- Danish Folk Dance
- Dvorana, Czech Republic
- Finnish Folk Dancing
- Folk Dance in Finland and Finnish Folkdance elsewhere
- Folk Music Week, in Föllinge, Sweden Classes in polska from middle Sweden
- Dances and Concerts in France
- Folk Dancing in Germany
- Greek Dances *
- Greek Folk Dance Resource
- Hungarian Folk Dance, Music and Handicraft
- Indanza, Italy
- Folk Dance in Hampshire, UK *Did not connect when last checked.
- The Israeli Folkdance Archive *
- Ariel Cohen's Israeli Folk Dance Page *
- Kesher LeMachol * Israeli Folk Dance Resource
- Lets Dance Folk Dances IFD in Norway
- Links to European Dance Info
- Manx Folk Dance Society *
- Phoenix Folklore Dance Group Holland
- Rhod's Dance Home Page
- Folk Dance links in Norway
- Vienna International Folk Dance Pages
- Webfeet: English Ceilidh,Folk, Morris, Cajun and French Trad Dance Info
- Zakopane Folk Festival Poland
Health Links: (for after testing out all the above
links and your poor body is protesting!)
* contains dance descriptions
Featured Region: Brittany |
Copyright © 1996-2001
Last modified 5 Dec 2001
We do not necessarily endorse sites being advertised by Geocities here!