Welford Road Cemetery

Francis Hames 1817-1887

The various inscriptions on the monument, which was made
by Jee of Rutland Street, read:

Francis Hames died April 1887 in his 70th year.
George Henry Hames (4th son) died May 1909 aged 57.
Agnes Mary Hames died 8 May 1946 aged 83.
Francis Hames and Mary his wife
Mary died March 1894 in her 77th year.
Francis Hames died May 1922 aged 72.

Charles Hancock

In memory of Joseph Johnson
who departed this life February 1891
Also of
Joseph Johnson
who passed peacefully away
December 7 1910
in his 73rd year
Also of
Charles Hancock
son-in-law of the above
who passed away February 6 1927
aged 75 years.
Also Mary Jane wife of the above
died January 27 1950 aged 86.

Charles Hancock is also remembered in
St Martin's Cathedral

Henry Harding 1815-1848

This was one of the first monuments to be erected in the cemetery.
Henry Harding, who was appointed house surgeon at the Leicester Infirmary in 1843 died from typhoid after treating patients with that disease. He took a great interest
in the hospital museum and left 150 prepared specimens.

Although Dr Harding was buried in St Margaret's churchyard, the John O'Gaunt
Lodge of Freemasons, to which Harding belonged, applied for permission to erect a monument in the newly-built Welford Road Cemetery to "perpetuate the recollection
of the many virtues which adorned the character of Mr Harding and which had gained for him the esteem of all who knew him". The Cemetery Committee agreed to the request and charged the Lodge five guineas for the site.

The memorial, which was made by Broadbent & Hawley of Millstone Lane,
is crowned with a richly ornamented pinnacle topped by the Masonic symbol of interlacing triangles. One of the four sides used to contain the figure of Religion
after Canova. This, however, has since suffered at the hands of vandals.

Two of the other sides contain inscriptions:

The members of / the John O Gaunt Lodge / of Freemasons / dedicate this monument
as a tribute of respect / for the many public and / private activities / of their lodge brother Henry Harding / and of their grief / for his lost.

To the memory of / Henry Harding / worshipful master of / the John O Gaunt Lodge
of Freemasons Leicester / and provincal / Junior Grand warden / who fell a victim to
malignant fever caught in / the discharge of his duties / as House Surgeon
at the Leicester Infirmary / November 23 1848 / in the 33rd year of his age.

Thomas Hardy

In tender memory
Thomas Henry (Harry)
The beloved husband of
Lillian A Hardy
who died April 13 1922
aged 30 years.
Also of Ada
the beloved wife of William Willson,
At rest January 3rd 1941,
Aged 71 years.
Also of William Willson,
who fell asleep November 6th 1941
Aged 73 years
Also Lilian Ada Wright
eldest daughter of the above
died May 11th 1959
Aged 66 years.

Thomas Hardy was a keen campanologist and a bell, with music from
the 23rd Psalm, features on his headstone.

Bert Harris

In affectionate
memory of
Albert Walter Allen Harris
This memorial stone is erected by the
cyclists of England
in token of the sincere respect
and esteem in
which he was held by wheelmen
the world over.
He was ever a fair and honourable rider
and sportsman and his lamented death cut
off in its prime one of the brightest and
most genial spirits of cycledom.
He fell on the racing path at Aston on
Easter Monday 1897 and succumbed to
his injuries at the General Hospital
Birmingham April 21st 1897 aged 24 years.

Bert Harris was born in Birmingham. His family moved to Leicester where he was educated at Holy Trinity School. He became interested in cycling at an early age and commenced his racing career at the age of fourteen. Two years later he came second in the Infirmary Sports, which were held on the Aylestone Road Sports Ground, the present Grace Road Cricket Ground. He got his first big win at Bristol In 1889, when he completed the Five Mile race with a time of 18 minutes and 25 seconds.
In 1893 he took the records for the Mile and Three-quarter Mile.

In 1894 Harris turned professional and joined the London Polytechnic Cycle Club.
Before long his fame as a clever and plucky rider spread worldwide. In April 1895,
during a race in Cardiff, he came off and was unconscious for 48 hours. However, by September he was well enough to break the English professional record at
Hearne Hill by completing the half-Mile in 57.3 seconds and the Mile
race in 118.3 seconds.

In the winter of 1895-96 Bert went on a trip to Australia where he raced with the big names in the Antipodes. For winning one race alone he received 400.

On Easter Monday 1897 Bert rode his last race. It was the Ten-Mile at Birmingham where in a field of fifteen, at about the four-mile mark, his front wheel caught the rear
one of one of the other riders. He came off his cycle and struck his head on the hard surface. He died two days later without recovering consciousness.

The left picture shows Bert (held by his father) after becoming Club Track Champion of the Polytechnic Cycle Club in 1893.

Richard Harris

In memory of
Richard Harris
one of the Justices of the Peace
for the Borough of Leicester.
He served the office of Mayor
for the year 1843
and was elected by
his fellow townsmen
as their representative
in Parliament
on the 2nd September 1848
He died February 2 1854
aged 76 years.

the other two inscriptions on the monument are:

In / loving memory / of Fanny Dove Hamel-Dyson / daughter of / Richard and Fanny Harris / Born 24 October 1810 / died 23 February 1873.

In memory of / Fanny / the beloved wife of Richard Harris esq / (eldest daughter of William and Martha Dove / of Moulton / in the county of Northampton).
Born May 24 1774 / died March 7 1842.

Richard Harris began his working life as a printer's apprentice with the Leicester Herald. One evening, so the story goes, just before the newspaper was to be printed, young Richard knocked over some of the newly-set type, turning it into 'pie'. However, the publisher, Richard Phillips, who was to become Lord Mayor of London, was an ingenious man and, as there was no time to reset before the paper had to be printed in order to catch the stage, he ordered the printer to leave the type as it was. Above the nonsensical jumble of letters Phillips had printed words to the effect that just as the paper was going to press they had received an express from Holland and as there had been no time to translate the text, it was printed just as received in the 'original Dutch'. The translation, Phillips went on to say, would appear in the next issue - needless to say it never did.

It may have been this mishap that made young Richard realize that newspaper life
was not for him and he joined his father's hosiery business. It was not long before he was able to open his own business in Soar Lane and by 1803 his business had expanded so much that he had to move into larger premises in Harvey Lane. A year later he owned
a factory in Braunstone Gate and a warehouse in King Street.

Richard Harris purchased the Freedom of the Borough in 1823 and, in December 1835, was elected as one of the new Liberal councillors. In 1843 was mayor and as such was presented to Queen Victoria during her visit to Belvoir Castle. In 1848, he was elected
as one of the town's two MPs. Outside politics Richard Harris was a devout Methodist, founding the Charles Street Chapel in 1830.

Left: The Harris monuments, designed by William Flint. Right: Richard Harris senior.
Below On the base of one of the monuments is carved the Harris arms

Richard Harris

In memory of
Richard Harris
of Knighton in this county.
For seventeen years
one of the Justices of the Peace for
the Borough of Leicester.
He was elected to the Town Council
in 1841 and was made Mayor in 1854
the latter office he continued to hold
till hid resignation of it in 1873:
Thus serving his native town for
upwards of thirty years.
He died May 3 1874 aged 62.

Richard Harris, with his brother John, was apprenticed to his father's hosiery business, which in time became known as Messrs Harris & Sons and was largely responsible for the development of the fancy hosiery trade in Leicester. Richard Harris was admitted a Freeman of the Borough in 1833, and in 1841 he joined his father on the council, as a member for St Mary's West. Thirteen years later, in 1854, he was elected Leicester's Mayor. Like his father, he was a zealous dissenter and as such was the
main contributor to the erection of Victoria Road Church.

Return to Welford Road Cemetery Index of Monuments

Continue the tour

2001 Leicester Research