Vincenzo "Jimmy" Soccio
Montreal Mafia
  Vincenzo Soccio, called "Jimmy," was born  in the  early 1900s and hooked  up with  the  Cotroni  brothers  in the  1930s. Over  the years. He  would  become  especially  close to  Giuseppe "Pep" Cotroni, often serving as his bodyguard and driver.

     Soccio was  arrested for running  a successful betting operation out of a building on Osborne street in Verdun in 1944.

     Two years later, on September 22, 1946, Soccio  was busted again, this time for operating a gambling den with Modesto Massino.

     Besides gambling, Soccio  also ran  a very lucrative heroin ring with Diadato  "Dulude"  Mastracchio. From  the 
Corso  Pizzeria restaurant that  they owned on  St. Catherine street, the  two were  rumored to be among the top heroin traffickers in the city.

     In  January 1950, undercover  officer  Hugh  Walker  posed  as  a  heroin  dealer  and  infilitrated Montreal's  drug trade. After  compiling  a stack of  evidence  against Emile "Jack" Nadeau, a  pimp-turned-drug dealer, the latter agreed to cooperate and introduced Walker to Soccio and Mastracchio, his heroin suppliers.

     Soccio and Walker met  at the
Corso Pizzeria on January 26th and arranged a heroin transaction. The undercover officer was given half of  a torn cigarette pack  and told to  bring it with  him to the deal.

     The two men met  again  and Walker handed Soccio  an envelope containing $1,900. The officer met with  an  individual  later that day  and  they checked to  make sure  their cigarette  pack  halves matched. They did. Walker was told  that his package of  heroin was hidden under the stairs of 3655 St. Urbain street.

     The deal went  down perfectly  and Soccio  agreed to sell  Walker five ounces  more for $3,250. Soccio performed the transaction himself this time, which turned out to be  a huge  mistake. He was arrested  and charged with  heroin trafficking. His partner, Diadato Mastracchio, was  picked up that night, as well as John Sullivan, an employee at their pizzeria.

     Soccio  and  Mastracchio were found guilty in  April 1952. Both were sentenced to 23 months in prison and a $500 fine.

Béret Bleu nightclub on St. Catherine, owned by Soccio, Romeo  Bucci, and  Moe Yacknin, was shut down by the Régie des alcools in August 1970. Among the infractions found was the lack of  a kitchen, minors drinking  in the  establishment, and  the  closing  times  not  being obeyed. The decision was contested by the owners but to no avail.

     In August 1972, Jimmy Soccio, Frank Cotroni, Michel Galardo, Pasquale Di Nunno, and Michael Bateman were  arrested  and  charged with  trying to extort  restaurant owner Dionysos Chionsis for $250  a week "protection" payments. But on the stand, Chionsis suddenly came  down with  amnesia and suddenly remember anything he had told investigators. The charges  against Soccio, Cotroni and the others were withdrawn.

     Two months later, on November 22, police  raided
Les Immeubles Tempo Lteé on Papineau street  and charged Soccio with running a gambling house. Among those present at the time were Giuseppe "Pep" Cotroni, Conrad Bouchard, Tony Masserelli, and Johnny Lia.

     Soccio was brought before the CECO probe into organized crime on  March 1, 1973  and  asked about his activities. He told the council that he was a club owner and ex-political organizer.

     He was called to testify before the committee  again on March 26. He was  asked about a booklet that contained a list of those who had made financial contributions in the 1957 elections. He was also asked  about  a list of  nightclub owners  also in the booklet. Among those  names were Vic Cotroni, Luigi Greco, Nicola Di Iorio, and Angelo Lanzo.

     Vic Cotroni was very upset with Soccio's testimony and called him to a meeting at
Reggio Food, a  business  owned by  Paolo Violi. Once  there, Soccio was  chewed  out by  Cotroni  and  Armand Courville, the godfather's trusted  associate. Cotroni was  very  upset that  Soccio had not consulted him prior to his testimony.

     Jimmy Soccio was sentenced to one year in prison for not cooperating with the CECO. The loyal Cotroni  underling kept  a very low  profile  after that  and, although I haven't  been  able to find  any documents to support this, probably passed away in the late 1970s or early 1980s.