Rendezvous in Kananaskis - G8 Environment Ministerial (Banff)
Rendezvous in Kananaskis
G8 Environment Ministerial (Banff, April 12-14, 2002) - News
- Kyoto Protocol dominates G-8 environment ministers talks on linking environment, development issues (April 14, 2002 / AP)
- G-8 ministers discuss making environmental issues part of new global focus on sustainable development (April 14, 2002 / AP) (and here is a slightly different version of the article: G-8 Ministers Discuss Environment) Notice how David Anderson cites the "growing focus on trade, international financing, aid effectiveness, and private sector investment as the engines of economic growth needed to address poverty reduction, which is now seen as the key to sustainable development," thus setting the stage for a subordination of environmental policy to neoliberal 'economic-growth-will-solve-everything' dogma.
- G8 divisions create progress on climate change, forests (April 14, 2002 / Greenpeace)
- Climate Change Hits Green Activists at G8 Meeting (April 14, 2002 / Reuters) Short item on the Greenpeace protest staged outside the G8 Ministerial meetings.
- G8 in Open Disarray Over Kyoto Protocol (April 14, 2002 / Reuters)
- EU Official Says Kyoto Still Worthwhile Without US (April 14, 2002 / Reuters)
- US Admits Doing Poorly Selling Environment Policies (April 14, 2002 / Reuters) If there is one thing even more nauseating than the U.S. government's efforts to undermine Kyoto, it is EPA chief Christine Whitman's ludicrous claim that the only problem with U.S. climate policy is that it hasn't been marketed properly. Gee, isn't that big of her - an admission that the U.S. hasn't put enough effort into manipulating public opinion. Whitman generously concedes that she must try a bit harder if she is going to succeed in putting one over on us.
- Germans join critics of Canada's clean-fuel credit plan at G-8 enviro meeting (April 14, 2002 / CP)
- Canada plans to push ahead with clean-energy credit plan despite opposition (April 14, 2002 / CP)
- European Union flatly rejects Canada's bid for clean fuel credits (April 13, 2002 / CP)
- Anderson defends Kyoto (April 13, 2002 / Calgary Herald)
- G8 Ministers mindful of emissions (April 13, 2002 / National Post)
- Greenpeace sends message to Canadian government at G8 meeting: "Get off the Fence and Ratify Kyoto" (April 12, 2002 / Canada NewsWire) "We expect Kyoto to dominate discussions in Banff because the G8 countries are divided on this issue," said Jo Dufay, Greenpeace campaigns coordinator. "Canada has to get off the fence and ratify Kyoto."
- Canada accused of corporate sellout as environment ministers meet in Banff (April 12, 2002 / National Post)
- Protesters plan march (April 11, 2002 / Banff Crag & Canyon) - The march will take place Sunday April 14... see article for details.
- G-8 ministers hold talks on increasing influence of environmental issues in global development (April 13, 2002 / AP)
- G8 Environment Ministers sell out to global trade agenda (April 12, 2002 / Council of Canadians) - COC press release
- G8 meeting communiqué leaked to Council of Canadians (April 12, 2002 / Globe&Mail) - see below for a copy of the draft communiqué
- Banff Ministerial - Draft Communique (April 12, 2002) - as distributed by Council of Canadians after government leak
- G-8 environment ministers to discuss how to make environmental concerns more significant in development policy (April 12, 2002 / AP)
- Locals get two hours to make their case with Anderson (April 11, 2002 / Rocky Mountain Outlook)
- G-8 environment what? Retailers surprised (April 11, 2002 / Banff Crag & Canyon)
- Banff bid for bucks rebuffed (April 4, 2002 / Rocky Mountain Outlook) The seemingly endless source of G8 funds may finally be bottoming out...
- Chateau gets permit for convention center (March 28, 2002 / Banff Crag & Canyon) Banff yields yet further to development pressures, but environmentalists vow to continue the fight....
- Locals to meet G8 ministers (February 22, 2002 / Banff Crag & Canyon)
- Banff Mayor asks for G-8 emergency funding (Feb. 13, 2002 / Banff Crag & Canyon )
- Banff gets G8 office (Feb. 7, 2002 / Rocky Mountain Outlook)
- Hydrocarbons found near Banff's drinking water (Feb. 7, 2002 / Rocky Mountain Outlook) - something environmentalist protesters should be aware of. And here is a follow up article from Feb. 14: Feds set up test wells at contaminated sites near Banff
Contact me (Eric Squire) at: firstname.lastname@example.org