Earlier in his career, Lloyd worked as a production artist on Raiders of the Lost Ark, and then took over as director of visual effects at Buena Vista Studios, where he earned an Oscar nomination for his work on Return to Oz. "There were seven departments there, and basically those seven departments have been replaced by the digital world," says Lloyd, who left Disney after completing work on Dick Tracy in 1990.
"Actually, I didn't make the digital
switch as soon as I should have," the matte artist says. "When I left Disney,
I went into commercial directing, and it bothered me to stand there looking
over the shoulder of a hairy artist or someone else doing something I felt
that I could do better. I went into digital, and the phone started ringing.
I really enjoy it, especially from an independent standpoint. It gives
you more freedom to think, more time with yourself to figure out what it
is you want to do. And you stay off the freeways."
Estract of a large matte painting article at: http://livedesignonline.com/mag/show_business_taking_matte/
Michael Lloyd at work on a matte painting for "Dick Tracy"
- Beowulf (2007) (matte painter)
- Ask the Dust (2006) (matte painter: Double Edge Digital)
- The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (2005) (matte painting supervisor: Studio C, Los Angeles)
- The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003) (matte painter) h
- Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle (2003) (additional matte painter: SPI)
- "Children of Dune" (2003) (mini) TV Series (digital matte artist)
- Gods and Generals (2003) (digital matte artist: MetroLight Studios)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) (ghd: Rythmn & Hues)
- Air Force One (1997) (matte painter: Boss Film Studios)
- Chain Reaction (1996) (digital matte painter)
- Independence Day (1996) (digital matte painter)
- Dick Tracy (1990/I) (visual effects producer)
- Superman IV (1987)
- Outrageous Fortune (1987) (visual effects supervisor)
- SpaceCamp (1986) (matte painting artist)
- Baby, legend of the lost secret(1985)(matte art)
- My scientific project. (1985)
- Return to Oz (1985) (matte supervisor)
- Conan the Destroyer (1984) (optical graphics)
- Something Wicked This Way Comes (1983) (matte artist)
- Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) (production artist)
- Fritz the Cat (1972) (second background)