1. www. east-harlem.com This is your main source for information with sections on art, politics, history, and institutions of this culturally rich neighborhood.
2. www.east-harlem.com/tour_index.htm A great resource for pictures of the area. Use this page for all your picture needs.
3. Harlem Tours Harlem and East Harlem have a rich history in African American culture. Find out why
4. One man’s perspective on growing up African American in East Harlem during the early part of the last century.Refections on Black History by Thomas C. Fleming
5. El Museo del Barrio The website for our own museum of Hispanic culture created over thirty years ago. The museum is located 1230 Fifth Avenue at 104th Street, NYC.
6. El Barrio Website The Academy of Computer Technology's own website for El Barrio, check the work of the artist De La Vega and a nice article on the L&T Donut shop.
7. St Ann School is located on East 110th street renamed Tito Puente Way. Who was this man? Tito Puente Find out why he did not believe in the calling his music “Salsa”. Great Interview with Tito Puente
8. The International Salsa Museum The Museum is located at 2127 Third Avenue (between 116th & 117th Streets, read about how it was started.
9. Marc Anthony is the most recent celebrity to have been born and raised in East Harlem, read about his rise to stardom. Marc Anthony
10. Before there was Marc Anthony, there was Bobby Darin who was born in East Harlem, he was part of the generations of Italian Americans who called the neighborhood home. Find out how he attended the Bronx High School of Science, was nominated for an Oscar and had many number one hits in the 50’s and 60’s.
Learning Advice:Remember no matter what project you choose, it important to review all the websites for possible information. You will have four computer class periods to complete this assignment.
Expectations & Evaluation:
How will you be graded? The mystery ends here. If you've ever wondered why you received the grade you did, or what is expected of you from project,then take a look at the RUBRIC
Conclusion:Hopefully in addition to teaching others about your neighborhood, you have learned a few new facts yourself. In learning about your neighborhood, I hope that you found pride in your surroundings and how they came to be. Viva El Barrio!
© Gina Coletti 2002