Tips on Using Your Slow Cooker or Crock Pot
- Add spices and herbs toward the end of cooking time if possible
- Keep the lid on tight, you don't want all your heat and steam to escape.
- Generally, on large volume recipes especially ,you
may want to
brown meats before
adding to crockpot.
- Liquids don't boil away as in conventional
cooking, so you will have more liquid at the end of cooking time
than you started with. Adding too much liquids, and in some cases
any liquids will leave you with a pot of mush.
- Vegetables don't overcook in a crockpot, so all vegetables can go in at the same
always try to use fresh
vegetables when required. If you are forced to use frozen vegetable
in any recipe, add them during the last 1/4 of elapsed cooking time.
- Don't add milk, sour cream ,cream or fish
until the last hour of cooking, unless the recipe explicitly
calls for it.