"Come from the four winds, O breath, and
breathe upon those slain that they may live".
ďIn recognition of the distinguished
Character of Gen Lafayette McLaws and Gen Francis S. Bartow."
It agreed to tender to those charged with the duty of erecting a tablet or monument to the memory in a site
In public domain that they maybe mutually agreement upon the site to be conferred by ordinance.
The Memorials through the great effort of Capt. Purse were executed in the form of bronze bust on stone pedestals. They were placed in Chippewa Square that of General McLaws facing north at the Hull street side of the square. That of General Bartow facing South at the Perry street side of the square. These monuments have
Since been removed to positions they now occupy in the lot with the Confederate Monument in Forsyth Park.These monuments were both unveiled in 1902.
Massie School is known as the Cradle of Public Education. It was the first public school in Savannah. This is the original building of Georgiaís oldest Charted School. A history of the first public school in Savannah is exhibited on one wall of the Centerís Library. The collections found there are on State and local history, urban planning, architecture, historic preservation, and public education. The center houses a Heritage Studies program in all disciplines and at each grade level. It promotes interdisciplinary studies and provides for cooperation among departments, schools and other institutions in the community. Barriers between the school and the world are broken down as the student utilizes experiences from his own environment. You will find a nineteenth century classroom here where elementary students experience a 19th century school day.
In 1841 Peter Massie, a Scottish planter in Glynn County, Georgia bequeathed a sum of $5,000 to educate the poor children of Savannah. His donation was invested until it accumulated enough money to build a school. Mr. John S. Norris was retained to design and build Massie School. The center portion is the original structure, costing $ 9000.00. Massie School was constructed in 1855-56. The doors opened for classes on October 15,1856. The west wing was built in 1872 from the plans of Mr. John B. Hogg, and the east wing in 1886. The building was used briefly as a hospital by Federal troops after their occupation of Savannah in 1864. In May 1865, it was operated for a few months as a school for the freedmen. The teachers were from the American Missionary Association. When the Savannah-Chatham County Board of Public Education was established in 1866 Massie became a unit of that body and established in 1866. It was closed to regular classes in June, 1974, having educated Savannahians for 118 years. Today it is Massie Heritage Interpretation Center and is located on the South East corner of Calhoun Square and East Gordon Street. It is of the Greek Revival and is listed on the National Resister of Historic places.
Fort Pulaski monument is 15 miles east of Savannah via US Highway 80. It encompasses 427 acres on Cockspur and McQueens islands at the mouth of the Savannah River. Building on the fort began in 1829. Heavy wooden piles had to be driven about 70 feet into the mud on Cockspur Island to support the weight of the proposed structure. The work was completed in 1847. Robert E. Lee, a West Point graduate, was among the engineers who built the fort. Early in the construction it was decided that the fort would be named Pulaski for the Revolutionary War hero, Casimir Pulaski, wounded in the Siege of Savannah on October 9, 1779. He died on board the brig Wasp and was buried at sea. The fort became a massive irregular pentagon surrounded by a moat crossed by drawbridges. The galleries are distinguished by brick arch masonry.
Georgia State troops seized the fort on January 3, 1861 under the command of Alexander R. Lawton, when The War Between the States seemed imminent. Several weeks later Georgia seceded from the Union and the fort was turned over to the Confederacy. Newly developed Union rifled cannons bore through the fort in what was presumed impenetrable walls during the 30-hour bombardment in 1862, forcing the fort to surrender. Projectiles fired at the fort during the conflict are still embedded in the walls. Confederate Commander, Col. Charles H. Olmstead, surrendered along with 384 officers and the men were sent north to Fort Columbus on Governorís Island in New York. My grandfather William R. Bailey died in the USA hospital on the island and is buried in Cypress Hills National Cemetery, Brooklyn New York.
In 1924 the island was made a National Monument. Restoration of the fort began in earnest in 1933. Today it serves not only as a memorial to the valor of those connected with its bombardment and defense, but also to those connected with the construction and dedication