The Covington Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy is inactive
“The Confederate States of America”
Deo vidice 22 February 1862
This Chapter of the U.D.C. is no longer active.
sculptor went beyond the features of this Confederate soldier and laid
the character of an older soldier. He appears to be ready at a moments
notice, to step
from the crown of the monument into life. On the large section is a
battle flag. Below the flag is inscribed:
Reading around the monument :
many a story of fame for us, they left, would it not be blame for us, if
their memories part from our land and heart and a wrong to them and
us." This is the only Georgia monument that faces south.
" Erected by the Statesboro Chapter #1100 of the UDC,
26, 1909The Statesboro Chapter #1100 of the U.D.C. is no longer active.
DE KALB COUNTY
The Confederate sculpture that adorns one side of the mountain was
worked on by three different sculptors. The idea for this carving is
attributed to Mrs. C. Helen Plane, a charter member of the UDC. The
Venable family owned the mountain, and in 1916 deeded the north side
of the mountain to the UDC. This deed gave them 12 years to complete
a "sizeable" Confederate monument. In 1915, the Daughters hired Gutzon
Borglum. He envisioned seven central figures that were accompanied by
"an army of thousands." Funding problems and WWI hindered the start of
the sculpture until 1923. By Jan. of 1924 Borglum was able to finish Robert
E. Lee’s head. In 1925 there was a dispute between the sculptor and the
association in charge of handling the carving. Borglum left taking all of
sketches with him. Augusta Lukeman was brought in as the second sculptor
to attempt the monument. He envisioned three central figures on horseback,
but could not finish the sculpture by the deadline. The Venable family
and collected the deed leaving the carving untouched for 36 years.
the Georgia government purchased the land and by 1963 a new sculptor was
chosen to complete the job. Walker Kirkland Hancock with the help of chief
carver Roy Faulkner fine-tuned the carving to what is today seen by many
It took 8 years of hard work, and on May 9, 1970 the dedication for the
Memorial Carving took place. By 1972, all of the finishing touches had
to form the famous Stone Mountain visitors enjoy today.
The Stone Mountain Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy is no longer active.
VALOR "Men who saw night coming down about them could somehow act as if they stood at the edge of dawn," a confederate soldier shortly before his death. Engraved on a rectangular marker in front of the statue are these words: "So, my son, when in the conflict of life the cloud and the darkness come, stand unflinchingly by your post: Remain faithful to the discharge of your duty". Robert E. Lee
The third granite marker reads: " There is a true Glory and a true Honor: The Glory of Duty Done.—The honor of the integrity of principle". Robert E. Lee
The Screven County Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy is no longer active.
The Alice Beall Matthews Chapter #576 United Daughters of the Confederacy is no longer active.