A Bench in the Park- Chapter 5 A Bench in the Park-chapter 5

"Blah"- Speech
'Blah'- Thoughts

-------------------------

Botan smirks to herself as the Reikai clouds slowly disappeared were replaced by Ningenkai clouds. She had snuck away from her duties and hoped that Koenma would not notice her absence. She still needed to see Keiko and apologize to her. 'Maybe she forgot all about it.' Botan thought as flew pass a flock of birds. 'Or maybe she's really angry for delaying the apology.' She pondered at what her punishment may be if her second thought was correct.

Botan halted when she caught sight of the auburn hair girl sitting on a park bench. She saw Keiko look up at her and waved. Botan slowly descended from the sky until her feet were able to touch the ground.

"Hi Botan, what are you doing here?"

"I'm really sorry Keiko-chan! Please forgive me!" She bowed down so that her ponytail hung onto the left side of her head.

"Huh? What are you apologizing for?"

Botan looked up and stood straight up so that she was facing Keiko. "Remember two nights ago, when I stayed over at your house. Well, I was bothering you and stuff, so, well, I'm sorry."

Keiko blinked several times before it clicked into her mind. "Oh right! I forgot all about that! I was going to apologize for yelling at you. I thought you left early because you were upset."

Botan was quiet for a moment, then she started laughing. It started out low but then her laugh got louder. Not soon after, Keiko joins in.

"So, what are you doing here?" Botan asked after she snapped out of her laughing fit.

"Well... I was kinda looking for someone." Keiko looks down at the concrete ground.

"Huh?" It suddenly registered her mind. "Oh, so you're on a date?" She playfully jabbed Keiko on the arm.

"No... I..." She pauses before she continues. "Can I talk to you about something?"

Botan looks at her quizzically. "Of course Keiko-chan."

Keiko sits on the park bench and signals for Botan to take the seat next to her.

After she settles onto the bench, Botan speaks up. "What's wrong Keiko-chan?"

"I... kissed someone, and it wasn't Yusuke. And now, I..."

It took a while to sink into her mind. "Wait, you what?"

Keiko looks at her lap. "Botan, I kissed Kurama..."

Botan did a double take. "But, what about Yusuke? Wait... does he know about this?"

She shook her head. "No, he doesn't"

"What are you going to do now?"

"I don't really know." Then she pleadingly looks at Botan. "Please don't tell anyone Botan and especially not Yusuke. If anyone should tell him, I think it should be me."

"All right Keiko-chan." Botan pauses to think. "What's your relationship with Kurama right now?'

"I... don't really know. I mean it was just kiss. It didn't have to mean anything..." Keiko fiddles with her fingers. "But for some reason, it meant a lot to me."

Botan stares at her intensely. "Keiko-chan... Does this mean that..."

"I think I have feelings for Kurama."

Silence.

"And what about Yusuke?"

"I don't think our relationship can go on."

-------------------------

Yusuke suddenly shuddered. Something was going to happen, he was sure of it. He sat up into an up right position so that he leaned against the wall. Yusuke watched as his drunkard of a mother chugged down a whole bottle of liquor. He saw her gulp down the last bit of alcohol, much to her disappointment. Atsuko attempted to stand but fell back onto the couch behind her. It took her a while, but she was able to stand up from the couch. She staggered to the kitchen, where Yusuke heard a small jingling of keys. Footsteps followed, a thump, then Atsuko came into Yusuke's line of sight.

"Yusuke, watch the house for me, k? I'm going out..." She slurred the last word out and hiccups.

Yusuke mumbles something about alcohol and money.

"You got that Yusuke?" Atsuko was about halfway to the door.

He rolls his eyes then yells back. "YEAH!"

Atsuko puts on her shoes in a strange manner then attempts to open the door. Yusuke gets up from his bed and walks into the living room where the couch is located. He sits on the leather couch and tried not to inhale the alcoholic fumes floating about.

"Kaa-san... try pushing the door." He said without looking at her.

Atsuko pushes the door open with a grunt.

"Later Yusuke..." She hiccuped.

His mom slips out the door but leaves the door open. She comes back in with Keiko behind her.

"You know Keiko-chan, you barely visit us anymore. When was the last time you came over? You should come over more often. After all, you and Yusuke are like an item."

Yusuke notices Keiko flinching at her last statement.

"Yusuke, take care of Keiko, she's a guest."

"Why don't you take care of her? You brought her in here."

Atsuko glares at him and pretends not to hear his last complaint. "Ok, be good now, make yourself at home Keiko-chan and don't do anything inappropriate."

She left again, but this time she shut the door behind her. The sound of the closed door echoed throughout the apartment. Neither teens said a word to each other. The shuffling of Keiko's feet can be heard as she walked away from the door to the couch Yusuke had occupied. Keiko couldn't help but feel uneasy with him staring at her with such intensity. She was about to break the ice but he beat her to it.

"What are you doing here Keiko?"

Keiko hesitated, fearing that he knew what she did and was about to say. "Yusuke... I really need to talk to you."

"Well, you're here. What do you want to talk to me about?"

She took a deep breath and exhaled. "Yusuke, we've known each other for a really long time, and ever since we were little, people always thought we were going to make a great couple. I've been thinking about that. Yusuke, I care about you a lot, but not in the way that some people see us. The thing is Yusuke, I think we should split up."

Yusuke raised his eyebrow. "What? That's it?"

Keiko looks up. "What do you mean 'That's it'?"

He snorted then closed his eyes. "I don't think that that is the only reason. There's more to it than that, you're just not telling me."

She faces her lap once again. "You're right, there's more. I-"

"Actually, if you didn't tell me before, I don't think I want to hear it." He gets up from the couch.

"Yusuke..."

He ignores her and stomps out the door leaving her alone in the apartment.

-------------------------End chapter 5-------------------------

Phew! I finally finished chapter 5! It took me a really long time because I had such a mental block. Yay! Keiko and Yusuke finally split up! That means I'm free to write more BotanxYusuke stuffs! *cheers* Oh, right... Haha... I felt Keiko's breaking-up speech need to be a bit longer. I'm probably going to write two more chapters then the fic is finished. Review and flame me if need to.

-------------------------

<<< Chapter 4

Chapter 6 >>>

Back to FanFics