|What I Do (and Have Done)|
||Global Management Technologies Corporation
Vice President, Implementation
GMT Corp. produces software (a) to forecast workload and schedule employees,
and (b) to forecast cash demand for banks and ATMs, and schedule cash shipments
for optimum return on investment. As Director of Implementation, I have responsibility
for documentation, quality assurance, support, implementation and consulting.
It tremendously exciting to be working for a small (10-person) but profitable
believes in its people, and will be doubling its size every year or less in the
||IQ Software Corporation
Product Planning Analyst
In July, Information Advantage
announced that it is acquiring IQ Software, a merger that will create
"The World's Most Complete, Internet-Based, Business Intelligence Suite:"
a proven, scalable solution
that starts with enterprise reporting and extends to terabyte-sized data
warehouse projects supporting complex analyses and thousands of
users. I was excited to be part of it, but had previously decided to seek
new employment--IQ simply became too spiritually bankrupt a place after it went
public, and the CEO who had built the company turned into a micromanager who couldn't
||IQ Software produces client/server and Internet tools
for reporting, query, and OLAP. As product planning
analyst, my responsibilities are to produce functional
design specifications for new Internet reporting and
query products as well as for changes to existing
products. I've used MS Office products and Visio to
produce designs from the ground up for:
As a de facto Internet/Web Publishing product area
expert, I also provide product training and assistance
to our QA and consulting areas.
- An ActiveX interactive query tool
accessible through a Web browser to query
transactional data on a corporate server.
- The IQ Web Desktop: Java and ActiveX applets that will
be used to integrate report output, queries, access to
OLAP cubes, local microcubes, saved result sets, etc.,
with the user's desktop via his Web browser. This
forms the core of our "next-generation" product.
- The internal IQBase system that is our Web-accessible
repository of technical product information ranging
from "how-to" articles to bug reports and enhancement
requests. HTML and CGI processes allow the addition of
articles for IQBase; searching; forwarding via email;
and submission of comments and corrections to the
IQBase administrator. I also have complete QA and
project management responsibility for this system.
||IQ Software Corporation
|This is the second hat I wear for IQ Software.
As part of responsibilities for user information
During this time we have consistently brought projects
in on-time and on or under budget and we consistently
win high praise from customers for usefulness of manuals
and help systems. In the last seven years,
documen-tation has always been ready before products
were ready to ship, facilitating beta testing and
- Use Corel Ventura Publisher and the SemWare editor
(TSE) to design and create tutorials and printed
documentation. Use MasterHelp and RoboHelp to create
on-line help systems. Developed extensive editor macro
libraries for TSE to manage documentation source
libraries, coordinate printed and on-line documents
and provide source-file distribution for resellers.
Currently, we produce about 1,800 printed pages and
help systems equivalent to about 3,000 pages per
release, with 2 people.
- Use IQ Software products to design sample reports and
use HTML editors to design and develop our live
Internet product demo site (www2.iqsc.com).
- Use Adobe Acrobat to create electronic documentation.
- Evaluate, schedule and oversee print vendors.
||Written Assistance, Inc.
Partner and chief analyst
|Partner and chief analyst in this small consulting
company formed to provide documentation-related
consulting services. We unbundled the process of
producing documentation into its components and provided
consulting services in each area, including
documentation design/packaging, content determination,
templates, project staffing, technical writing, editing,
and production assistance as well as documentation
project management. Clients included Plus III Software,
the Centers for Disease Control, Coca-Cola, BellSouth
Corporation, MetaMedia, Fallon Industries, Rhodes
Furniture, Peachtree Software, and IQ Software
Corporation. Consistently created efficient,
high-quality solutions to the problems presented by each
project. Consistently invited back to
perform additional work for clients.
||BellSouth Mobility, Inc.
Business Analyst and Project Leader - Telecommunication Projects
In a two-year project, I had full life-cycle experience
with a large-scale telecommunications project. In
different phases of this project I had responsibility
- Working with seven user departments to define needs
and develop functional specifications for cellular
call processing, billing, and customer service
- Developing RFP for this system.
- Evaluating and recommending vendors to senior
- Managing the selected vendor during development,
testing, and implementation to measure and ensure
project quality and timeliness using methodology
provided by Coopers & Lybrand.
- Creating and implement QA plans.
- Monitoring the vendor's data center operations when
the system went into production.
- Representing the company on standards groups for
issues such as roamer validation and billing sys-tems.
Technical Writer and Trainer
- Developed documentation and training for Digital's
10th largest commercial OEM. Provided on-site customer consulting and trouble-shooting.
- Developed formal problem tracking and analysis system.
Total Audio Visual Services, Inc.
- Controlled all accounting processes for this privately-held company and its subsidiary.
- Developed controls and standardized the reporting and analysis process; prepared financial reports.
- Worked with outside accounting company to develop financial strategies.
- Evaluated and implemented computerized accounting methods.
- General responsibility for accounting processes.
- Specific responsibility for accounts receivable, payroll and for general ledger reporting.
||B.A., University Professor's Program, Boston University, cum laude.
Volunteer & Community Work
||Helping out is very imortant to me. This is some of what I've done as a volunteer:
- Former director
- Independent Software Consultants Association
- The Klondike Area Civic Association
- The Chattahoochee Country Dancers
- Founder and president (1991-1995), Friends of Arabia Mountain, an advocacy group for DeKalb County's Davidson-Arabia Mountain Nature Preserve.
- Volunteer, Clifton Presbyterian Church Night Shelter.
- Volunteer design and production manager, The Atlanta Celtic Quarterly, a 28-page publication of The Atlanta Celtic Festival, Inc., circulation 12,500. I also write reviews
for this publication; click here to see them. (I also designed the Web pages they sit on, as well as the ones you've already seen.)