The top of the Confederate Monument is draped. Displayed on the front is an array of ammunition: armor, cannon balls, sabers, etc. There is a sculptured arch on the 4 sides. On the front is the arch from the seal; Wisdom, Justice, and Moderation. It is graced by oak branches on either side. Below this is a raised shield with the Confederate seal. On the 7th tier it reads: "Our Confederate Dead". On the left it reads: "Honor to the Brave". Below this: "Their glory shall not be forgotten". Under this it reads:

"Erected by the ladies of the Memorial Association, 1879, to honor the Confederate soldiers who died to repel unconstitutional invasion, to protect the right reserved to the people, and to perpetuate forever the sovereignty of the states. In the back it reads: "In Memoriam". Below this is " Gather the sacred dust of warriors tried and true, who bore the flag of our nation's trust and fell in the cause, though lost, still just. And died for me and you".

This monument is located in the Historic District on Broadway Street, between 5th and 6th Streets and was unveiled 6 May 1879

Linwood Cemetery

Grave of Lizzie Rutherford, the soldier’s friend and suggestior of Memorial Day.
Secretary Soldiers Aid Society 1861 – 1865

Voices have blest her now silent and dumb

Voices will bless her in long years to come.

Married Roswell Ellis, Capt. of the Columbus Guards, November 23, 1868.
Born June 1, 1833 – Died March 31, 1873.
Erected by Lizzie Rutherford Chapter, Daughters of the Confederacy.

Linwood Cemetery

Grave of Henry L Benning, on the upright marker reads
Henry L. Benning, Maj. Gen. CSA
"Old Rock".
Marble slab reads:
Henry L. Benning...
son of.....Pleasant, M. and Milinda L. Benning...
April 21, 1814... July 10,1875...
"This was a man".


A Large marble slab covers his grave, at the top is a circle inside that are the letters C.S.A crossed flags and below in the center is the Masonic emblem. It is engraved Dr. John Stith Pemberton, born in Knoxville Crawford County, Georgia.

July 8, 1831 Died in Atlanta, Georgia August 16,1888. ORIGINATOR OF COCA-COLA



Linwood Cemetery has two Confederate sections Navy and Army, with graves of over 200 soldiers who died in the Confederate Hospitals located in Columbus from 1862-1865. Some of those buried here are casualties from the Battle of Columbus. Others died from a boiler explosion on the C. S. S. Chatahoochee and are buried in the Naval Section, with their graves guarded by one of the rifled guns from the ironclad Jackson.


Base reads "This Gun was one of the battery of the Confererate ram built in Columbus captured and burned by Wilson Raiders
Apr. 16, 1865
Mounted by Benning Camp."


202 4th St., Columbus –Manchester Rd. becomes 4th Ave.

The Confederate Naval Museum is the national and international clearinghouse of information on the Confederate Navy, in which was the genesis of modern naval warfare. At the start of the war the South, with few shipyards, naval engineers, sailors, or heavy industries, had to improvise to compete with the well supplied Union Navy.

Museum displays the development an operation of the naval mine, submarine, and battleship; all trace their first practical deployment to the Confederate Navy.

Exhibits display the salvaged remains of two entirely different Confederate warships: The 225 foot long ironclad ram C.S.S. Jackson and the 130-foot long steam/sail powered gunboat C.S.S. Chattahoochee. Both the Jackson and the Chattahoochee were salvaged in the early 1960’s


There are a number of cannons in front as you enter the museum. Two of them have marble markers, which read Confederate siege guns 1861 – 1865.

Mounted by Camp Benning, U. C. V. August 1898.



This flag hangs inside the museum.

Floor View

After burning for nearly two weeks in 1865 and then spending almost 100 years under water, the stern or back half of the ship still retained much of its below the surface siding. Propulsion for the Jackson was provided by two steam engines and propellers. The sheer scale of the ship is very impressive from the floor view.

Deck View

Originally built at near 225 feet long, the surviving hull of the Jackson is 180 feet in length and 50 feet wide. This unique ironclad ram was built at the Confederate Naval Shipyard in Columbus, Georgia and nearing completion when the city fell to a Union Cavalry column in mid-April of 1865. The ship, along with the other military related industries in Columbus, was put to the torch and set loose to drift down river. It finally burned to the waterline and sank 30 miles south of Columbus. The hull was recovered in the early 1960’s. Now, the centerpiece of the museum, a "ghost structure" has been built over the original hull to help visitors visualize those parts of the ship which are missing.


In an effort to illustrate typical sailor life during the Civil War, a section of Admiral Farragut’s flagship, the USS Hartford has been rebuilt. Inside are three compartments; a section of the berthdeck where the enlisted sailors slept, the wardroom and a piece of the Captain’s cabin. Featured at left is an original Gig (small boat) which had been assigned to the real USS Hartford during the war. This boat is on loan from the San Diego Maritime Museum


This house served as the residence of Dr. John Stith Pemberton between 1860 – 1869. Dr. Pemberton enjoys international prestige as the originator of the formula for Coca-Cola. He moved into this house from the white-framed cottage located at 11 Seventeenth Street. Originally located in the country. Four miles north of Columbus, this structure was moved to this site in 1977 to afford it the protection of the Nationally Registered Columbus Historic District.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Historic Columbus Foundation 1980.

Next Page

Previous Page

Yahoo! GeoCities Member Banner Exchange Info