Located in the center of town, a white marble pedestal supports a sizable figure of a confederate soldier holding his rifle. On the shaft of the Monument are embossed crossed swords with the years 1861-1865. The carving on the tiers reads,

“This craven stone is here to tell to all the world the love we bear to those who fought and bled and fell, whose battle cry was do and dare who feared no foe but forced the fray our gallant men who wore the gray. It is a duty we owe to posterity to see that our children shall know the virtue and become worthy of their sires.”

Martha Mcleod #559 erected by the Abbeville Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy April 26, 1909. In Memory of our Heroes in Gray.This monument was unveiled at City Park, 26 April 1909, and later moved.

Directly across the street, on the Courthouse lawn, sits this boulder.
It reads:

Erected June 3, 1925
By Abbeville Daughters
Of the Confederacy
To dedicate the spot where
Jefferson Davis
Our great Confederate Leader
Camped May the 9th 1865
The night before his capture.
Love makes memory eternal.
"Lest We Forget."




Confederate Memorial Park

This park was made possible through the generosity of the following patriots who donated the land: Hilliard P. Burt, H. Pace Burt, Jr. C. Daniel Blackshear, Jr. and James Bekkers. Dedicated January 22, 2000. Park committee members, UDC members, Evelyn Buzzard, Helen Hankinson, and Ann Jowers. SCV members, Hilliard Burt, C. Gary Mathews and Jack Thornton.

The monument is on a three tier base, on the front it reads

Our Confederate Dead 1861-1865.

They fought not for the Conquest, but for Liberty and their Homes.

This monument is erected under the auspices of the Ladies Memorial Association of Dougherty County, Georgia to the men who fought in the Confederate Army in defense of Constitutional Liberty.
Reading around the monument,

These men need no Eulogy for “Their works do follow them.”

The monument is located in Confederate Park on Philema Road near Chehaw Park in Albany.

The Bonnie Blue Flag and pole are given in memory of Pvt. Thomas F. Mathews and Pvt. William Cochran by Mike and Gary Mathews.
The Stars and Bars Flag and pole are in memory of Capt. William A. Davis, given by Hilliard P. Burt and Page Burt.
The Battle Flag and pole are in memory Lt. Col. Tom M. Nelson by C. B. Pritchett, Jr.
The Georgia Flag and pole are in memory of Pvt.Robert Phillips by Raymond, Bobby and Ray Harrell.
The Last National Flag and pole are in memory Pvt.Edward Giddens by Peter Giddens.
These are the ones that are on the marble markers. there are 5 markers, one for each pole.
Photos Courtesy of City of Albany, Georgia.




This Monument can be found in Rees Park in a lovely section of Americus. The soldier at the top is prepared to step off with his rifle in hand as he awaits the call to arms. The inscription on the Monument reads,

“Our Confederate dead 1861 - 1865. To those who fought in their ragged old suits of gray."

On the back the inscription reads,

" To the memory of the soldiers of Sumter County who died in defense of their country." The first time I visited Americus in 1992 the soldier’s left hand and gun were missing. I’m happy to report that he has been restored and looks wonderful on this 1997 visit.
This monument was unveiled 26 April 1889.




This monument originally stood in SYCAMORE School grounds, Oblong granite marker in memory of our Confederate Soldiers and World War I heroes 1861-65, 1917-1918. Was moved from private property to the Weslyan Tabermacle Campground site. Now owned by the city of Ashburn and listed on the Historical Register, The monument is on the corner of Gordon and Madison Avenue in Ashburn. It reads:

1861-65         1917-18

The Ashburn Chapter #1319 of the Daughters of the Confederacy is no longer active.




This monument stands at the intersection of College Avenue and Broad Street and was unveiled 26 April 1872. It is approximately 40 feet tall. The inscription reads:

"The measure of their years suddenly completed in the fatal issues of battle reached the consummation of earthly glory by their death. Last and noblest office of possible human fidelity to brave men, attesting their sincerity, vindicating their honor and sealing their integrity. They won their title to an immortality of love and reverence."

Our unknown heroes 1861-1865.

" True to the soil that gave them birth and reared them men, true to the traditions of their Revolutionary ancestors of high renown and hallowed worth. Alike by instinct and by principle cherishing the sentiments of home and country and the allegiance there. Unto due as one and inseparable these heroes, ours in the unity of blood, ours in the unity of patriotism, struggled for the rights of states as held by the Fathers of the Republic, by the sacred trust unto them bequeathed."
Words by A. A. Lipscomb. A round the sides the names of the soldiers engraved in the marble.

Names of the soldiers upon request.

Athens Double Barrelled Cannon

This cannon, the only known one of its kind was designed by Mr. John Gilleland, a private in the "Mitchell Thunderbolts", an elite home guard unit of business and professional men ineligible because of age or disablity for sevice in the Confederate Army. Cast in the Athens Foundry, it was intended to fire simultaneously two balls connected by a chain which would "mow down the enemy somewhat as a scythe cuts wheat." It failed for lack of a means of firing both barrells at the exact instant.

It was tested in a field on the Newton's Bridge Road against a target of upright poles. with both balls rammed home and the chain dangling from the twin muzzles, the piece was fired, but the lack of precise simultaneity caused uneven explosion of the propelling charge, which snapped the chain and gave each ball an erratic and unpredictable trajectory. Lacking a workable firing device, the gun was a failure. It was presented to the City of Athens where for almost a century it has been preserved as an object of curiosity and has performed sturdy service for many years in celebrating political victories.

Source: Historical Commission




Andersonville is located about 10 miles northeast of Americus on Georgia Highway 49. The residents of the quaint little town on the Southwestern Railroad were unaware of the inhabitants that would be the turning point of the tranquillity of their peaceful agriculture town. Today it is a charming village with antigue shops, museum in the old railroad depot. The old Town Hall, ice cream Palor, restaurant and RV camp ground. Each spring and fall Andersonville celebrates its heritage with festivals and fairs featuring battle re-enactment's food and fun. This was not the case during the War Between the States.

"During the War Between the States, the village of Andersonville near the end of the Southwestern Railroad, was the terminal where 45, 000 Federal prisoners of war arrived by rail during 1864 and early 1865. The prisoners left the train at Andersonville and were marched the one-fourth mile to Camp Sumter (Andersonville Prison) where many languished for more than a year and where 13,000 perished.

The village of Andersonville became the supply center for the prison, all necessary supplies being shipped by rail to that point.

Captain Henry Wirz, keeper of Andersonville Prison, had his office in the village.

Today, the town of Andersonville, across Georgia 49 from the site of famous Andersonville Prison and Andersonville National Cemetery, is attracting a growing number of tourists. Visitors enjoy picnicking and browsing in the town's 5-acre park where there is an old-time farm area complete with log cabin, barn and farm animals, a sugar cane mill and syrup kettle. There are also pathways through native trees and shrubbery, a bubbling brook, and a foot-bridge.

The tiny town of Andersonville also boasts a Welcome Center and Museum housed in a quaint 19th Century railroad station.

Andersonville's beautiful little log church, Pennington St. James, an architectural gem designed by Cramm and Ferguson, architects who designed the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York City, is open to the publice daily. Built in 1927 of cypress logs and native fieldstone by Dr. James Bolan Lawrence, beloved Georgia Episcopal minister, the church today in a monument to the memory of Dr. Lawrence."

The information above was copied from and Andersonville brochure.

Wirz Monument

This monument is dedicated to the memory of Captain Henry Wirz, C.S.A. Born in Zurich, Switzerland, 1822. Sentenced to death and executed at Washington D. C. November l0, 1865. To rescue his name from the stigma Attached to it by embittered prejudice, This shaft is erected by the Georgia Division United Daughters of the Confederacy. Inscription around the monument.

" When time shall have softened passion and prejudice, when reason shall, have stripped the mash of misrepresentation, then justice, holding evenly he scales, will require much of past censure and praise to change places. "
Jefferson Davis, December 1888.

"Its hard on our men held in Southern prisons not to exchange them, but it is humanity to those left in the ranks to fight our battles, at this particular time to release all rebel prisoners north, would insure Sherman’s defeat and would compromise our safety here."
Ulysses S. Grant, August 18, 1964.

Discharging his duty with much humanity as the harsh circumstances of the times and the policy of the foe permitted Captain Wirz became at last the victim of a misdirected popular glamor. He was arrested in time of peace while under the protection of a parole. Tried by a military commission of a service to which he did not belong and condemned to ignominious death on charges of excessive cruelty to federal prisoners. He indignantly spurned a pardon proffered on condition that he would incriminate President Davis and thus exonerate himself from charges of which both were innocent.
This monument was unveiled 12 May 1909.

Next Page

Yahoo! GeoCities Member Banner Exchange Info