On the courthouse square on Jefferson street, there is a monument with a soldier on top. He has on an overcoat with a cape. He’s wearing a hat and holding his musket, as if awaiting an order. The front reads:

"Our Confederate Dead, whom power could not corrupt, whom death could not terrify, whom defeat could not dishonor.

To the left it reads:


To the right of the soldier it reads:

"Erected 1885"

The back of the monument reads:

"Is not immortal to command success but they did more, deserved it."

This is the Confederate cemetery in Newnan, Georgia. There is a large oblong boulder and on the top it reads 1861 “Our Confederate Dead” 1865. No cause e’re rose so just and true, none fell so free from crime. On the front there are two flags crossed. Below that on the front it says Erected by the Ladies Memorial Association to the memory of our southern heroes who wore the gray out numbered not conquered. Here are buried 268 Confederate Soldiers. Due to the efficiency of the local hospitals, only two are “unknown.”

This is a second monument on the Courthouse Square and is erected in memory of William Thomas Overby, Confederate Hero. He enlisted May 31,1861, into Co. A 7th Ga. Infantry. He was wounded at second Manassas, Aug. 30, 1862, then joined Co. D, 43rd Batln. Mosby’s Rangers. They raided within Federal lines to embarrass the enemy, causing U. S. Grant to issue the order that “when found Mosby’s men were to be hanged without trial.” William Overby was captured at Front Royal, Va. on Friday, Sept. 23,1864. He was offered his life if he would reveal the hiding place of Mosby's men. This he refused, and was executed without trial. A federal said “He was the Nathan Hale of the Confederacy.” Scott said, “He was a famous soldier and died unafraid.” A lady, present at his death said, “He died a Christian-unafraid.” William Overby suffered death rather than betray his friends. He is buried in Markham, Va. The monument reads: "Erected 1956 by Alfred Colquitt and Newnan Chapters UDC, Inscription by Col. Thomas Spencer. At the top of this granite Boulder are crossed battle flags.

This chapter of the UDC is no longer active.




This monument was erected to honor Confederate soldiers. It stands on the Courthouse square. This soldier stands leisurely holding his musket with his left hand. The inscription reads:
“Tell it as you may, it never can be told. Sing it as you will, it never can be sung. The story of the glory of the men who wore the gray."
There are crossed sabers and the barrel of a cannon. Next there are crossed flags and the dates 1861-1865.
The inscription reads: “In memory of our Confederate soldiers. On the back of the monument another cannon barrel is illustrated. Inscribed here:
“Silently this stone proclaims the deathless fame of those who fought and fell. Honor to heroes is glory to our god and our country.” 1861 1865; “Erected by the Mary V. Henderson Chapter #1297 United Daughters of the Confederacy, To the Confederate soldiers of our beloved south land. 1911

The Mary V. Henderson Chapter #1297 of the UDC is no longer active.




This unique monument is located beside the courthouse and flanked by urns. It is rectangular in shape and a large cannon ball rest on the top. Inscribed on the front of the monument below the cannon ball:


Under this inscription Are crossed battle flags followed by the Inscription:

“Erected by the Oglethorpe Chapter # 1407 United Daughters of the Confederacy, Feb. 20, 1923.” Below this are crossed rifles.




In the months leading up to the Battle of Atlanta, late in 1864 the citizens of Oxford received news of General Sherman’s advances. They witnessed first hand the bloodshed of many Confederate soldiers. Many were wounded in skirmishes and taken to Oxford by rail to the Emory College campus. This College campus had been transformed into a hospital. Those that died at Emory were buried near by on the wooded grounds of the campus.
There are 31 grave markers here; some bearing the names of the soldiers while others are marked anonymous. These dead surround a tall, gray granite obelisk in the center of the cemetery that simply reads:

“Our Soldiers.”

It was erected after the turn of the century at the site of the annual Confederate Memorial Day on April 26. The ladies of Oxford decorated the soldier’s graves with flowers. As time wore on the tiny plot was forgotten and left to deteriorate until 1978 when a group of men took the lead in restoring the small plot.
Vandalism has taken its toll on the cemetery when some shenanigans pulled by secret societies placed a metal “D” embedded in the face of the obelisk and the number 7 in the back. Presumably the “D” represents Dooly and the 7 suggest one of the College’s earliest secret societies, the Mystic Seven.
As long as it is continued at Oxford this plot where the soldiers sleep will be held as especially sacred.

The names that appear on the grave markers will be given upon request.
To locate the Oxford monument, go down Hamull Street and park by the gym at Oxford College. Follow the nature trail about 50 feet to the monument.




Palmetto was named by the the Palmetto Guards. Volunteers from the Palmetto State, S.C. enroute to the Mexican War, in appreciation of the hospitality shown to them by the community while encamped here January 1847.

Located off I-85 west on Highway 29.
This small obelisk displays a musket on front with a Flag pole and furled flag, below that there's a wreath, below that near the bottom is another smaller wreath and the years 61 is on one side and 65 on the other.. On the left side it reads
Company I. 2nd Regiment Georgia Volunteers, Wheeler's Cavalry.
On the front of the monument it reads
Erected by the Daughters of the Confederacy A.D.1900.
On the right side it reads Company C 19th Infantry Georgia Volunteers. Commanded by Col. Tom Johnson. Col. .R. B.Logan.

The monument is flanked by two small cannons.




This monument is on the Courthouse lawn. It is a tall shaft with a soldier leaning on his musket at the top. Inscribed on the monument is:

" In Honor of the men of Houston County who served in the Army of the Confederate States of America. Those who fought and lived, those who fought and died."
"Erected by the Daughters of the Confederacy.
"To Our Confederate Dead."

Then the date 1861-1865 and crossed muskets. It also reads:

‘AD 1907’;
"May this shaft ever call to the memory The Story of the Glory of the Men Who Wore the Gray."

Then the date 1861 – 1865 and a Battle Flag.




This monument is very unique. The obelisk is simple and cut to the core. It reads “Our Confederate Dead. Erected by the Ladies Memorial Association, 1878.”

This chapter of the UDC is no longer active.

West End Cemetery

The marker here in West End Cemetery is to the unknown Confederate Dead. It was donated by the Ladies Memorial Association. during the last years of the War Between the States.

A number of Confederate soldiers, 17 of them unknown, were buried. Memorial services were held for these soldiers as early as 1869.

On Memorial Day, April 26,1871, a group of children from the Confederate orphans home, Lauderdale, Miss. attended the services. By chance one child found the grave of her father.

In 1873 the Ladies Memorial Association was formed. This became the Quitman Memorial Association and is now the Quitman Chapter Daughters of the Confederacy, who own and Maintain this cemetery.

Next Page

Previous Page

Yahoo! GeoCities Member Banner Exchange Info