Welcome to my Page
From on Tue, 20 Jan 2004 |
The tree of the Newcombe family who married into the Downer family with your Jessop connections, is per the attached file.
The Jessop page is for Samuel Jessop born in Ireland wed 1863 to Esther Coote
The William Newcombe wed 1854 to Ellen Higgins in your website also descends from a William Newcombe, whom I believe was born in Bulkworthy, Devon, as the son of Henry Heal Newcombe & Mary Moore.
I make no warranty whatsoever as to the accuracy or completeness of the followng data.
I thought I emailed you ages ago to advise that my Newcombe tree was quite wrong. Sure the Australian part is correct, but the Devon part is incorrect due to errors given by the informer at the death of James Newcombe in 1914. James's father remarried and the parents of James were incorrectly assumed to be the 2nd wife of James's father who was not his mother.
Generation No. 1
RICHARD NEWCOMBE born January 3, 1814 in South Tawton, Devon, died 1877 in Exeter St Thomas, Devon. He married (1) ELIZABETH PALMER February 4, 1837 in Cheriton Bishop, Devon, daughter of JAMES PALMER and ELIZABETH TANCOCK. She was born January 31, 1813 in Whitestone, Devon, and died 1871 in Exeter St Thomas, Devon.
He married (2) ANN ELLIOT 1877, daughter of RICHARD ELLIOT and HARRIET SPILLER. She was born 1820.
Children of RICHARD NEWCOMBE and ELIZABETH PALMER are:
i. MARY ANN15 NEWCOMBE, b. 1840, Crediton, Devon; d. 1901, Exeter St Thomas, Devon.
ii. RICHARD NEWCOMBE, b. Nov 4, 1842, Crediton, Devon; d. March 1909, Exeter St Thomas, Devon.
iii. JOHN PALMER NEWCOMBE, b. Sep 1847, Exeter, St Thomas, Devon; d. Dec 1911, Islington, UK
iv. JAMES NEWCOMBE, b. March 1849, Exeter, St Thomas, Devon; d. 1914, Brunswick, Victoria.
Richard Newcombe (1814-1877) of Generation 1 was found drowned in the River Exe only a day or so after he signed his last will and testament in favour of his second wife Ann Elliot and within a week of their marriage. Her brother, a local publican, was the executor. The mind boggles!
The ascent is (Richard 16, William 15, Richard 14, George 13, George 12, George 11, William 10, John 9, Thomas 8, Thomas 7, John 6, Hugh 5, Nicholas 4, John 3, John Senior 2, John 1) |
Adventerous James - James 17, whose children were born in Southern Hemisphere
1. William Newcombe 2 November 1769 - 18 Nov 1846 aged 77 born and died in Bridestowe, Devon, wed April 2, 1790 in Sourton, Devon to Joanna Ford c1770 - Aug 1819 aged 49 born in Sourton, Devon, and died in Bridestowe, Devon. Family lived at Sourton, Devon.
1. Richard Newcombe 22 January 1792|
2. Mary Newcombe 1 October 1797
3. Sarah Newcombe 12 September 1813
2. Richard Newcombe 22 January 1792 - October 1867 was born in Sourton, Devon. He wed 1828 in Okehampton, Devon, to Ann Spear 5 July 1807 - Oct 1867 daughter of Richard Spear and Martha Dyer. She was born in Inwardleigh, Devon
James & Ann died within days of each other at Okehampton, Devon, probably of cholera or similar.
Richard in 1851 farmed 60 Acres near Okehampton at Upper Southcott in the Kigbear Hamlets...
Address: Higher Southcott, Okehampton, Census Place: Okehampton, Devonshire
Richard Newcombe Head M 59 M Farmer 60 Acres Okehampton
Ann Newcombe Wife M 46 F Farmers Wife Inwardleigh
William Newcombe Son U 19 M Farmers Son Okehampton
Ann Newcombe Dau U 17 F Farmers Dau Okehampton
Caroline Newcombe Dau U 13 F Farmers Dau Okehampton
John Newcombe Son U 11 M Farmers Son Okehampton
James Newcombe Son U 8 M Frmers Son Schol Okehampton
1. Richard Spear Newcombe 27 September 1829|
2. William Newcombe February 5, 1832
3. Ann Newcombe November 17, 1833
4. Mary Newcombe October 15, 1835
5. Catherine Newcombe June 25, 1837 (Caroline in the census)
6. John Newcombe January 17, 1839
7. James Newcombe 16 April 1843
Generation No. 3 - We have lost touch with the English families of most of the children of Richard
1. Harry Newcombe c1860|
2. Anne Newcombe 1863
3. Richard Newcombe 1867
4. Eva Jane Newcombe 1869
7. James Newcombe was born April 16, 1843 in Okehampton, Devon, and died 1914 in Brunswick, Victoria, wed June 1871 to Alice Lloyd born 1852 in Exeter, daughter of Archelaus Lloyd and Harriet Fisher, and died 1903 in Brunswick, Victoria.
James & Alice Newcombe sailed to New Zealand soon after they married and lived in Dunedin from 1870 until 1882. They were living in Richmond, Victoria by 1882. Alice died of Tuberculosis and was buried in Melbourne General Cemetery. James died of Leukaemia and was buried in Melbourne General Cemetery. Kate was born at sea, the next 5 in New Zealand and the younger 4 in Victoria
1. Kate Lloyd Newcombe 1872, On board ship, d1905 Pyramid Hill, Vic|
2. Archilaus Frederick Lloyd Newcombe 1873 - 1947 died in N Melb, Vic
3. Alice Lloyd Newcombe 1875 - 1903
4. Frank Lloyd Newcombe 1876
5. Lucy Lloyd Newcombe, B. 1877, Christchurch, New Zealand.
6. Arthur Lloyd Newcombe 1880
7. Blanche Lloyd Newcombe 1882
8. James Arthur Lloyd Newcombe 1884 - 1886
9. Amy Louise Lloyd Newcombe 1887
10. Harold Lloyd Newcombe July 15, 1891
|1. Kate Lloyd Newcombe was born 1872 on board ship, and died 1905. She married 1890 in Victoria to Alfred John Callender c1865.|
1. Alfred James Callender, B. 1899 - 1956|
2. Hilda Alice Callender, B. 1901 - 1903
3. Archilaus Callender, b. 1905 - 1905
2. Archilaus Frederick Lloyd Newcombe was born 1873 in Christchurch, New Zealand, and died 1947 in North Melbourne, Victoria. He married 1898 to Catherine Whelan daughter of David Whelan, born 1874 in New Zealand (?), and died 1963 in St. Kilda, Victoria. The family lived at Hotham West, Victoria.
1. James Daniel Newcombe 1901 - 1901|
2. Catherine Margaret Newcombe 1904 - 1971
3. Leonard Vincent Newcombe 1905 - 1982
4. Mary Dorothea Newcombe 1908
5. Mary Kathleen Newcombe 1910
6. Leo Newcombe 1911
7. Archilaus Patrick Newcombe 1913
8. Gladys Eileen Newcombe 1915
9. Theresa Mavis Newcombe 1918
4. Frank Lloyd Newcombe 1876 - 1924, born in Christchurch, New Zealand, and died in West Melbourne, Victoria. He married 1903 in NZ to Annie Theresa Whelan 1878 - 1976, daughter of Daniel Whelan and Catherine O'keefe, and died in Armadale, Victoria. The family lived at Hotham West, Victoria.
1. Helena Eileen Newcombe 1905|
2. Veronica Linda Newcombe 1907 wed 1934 to Leslie George Bennett 1905
3. Leo Allan Lloyd Newcombe 1917 - 1950
6. Arthur Lloyd Newcombe was born 1880 in Timaru, New Zealand, and died 1957 in Parkville, Victoria. He married 1904 to Emily Elizabeth Kite 1881 - 1969 born in South Melbourne, Victoria, and died in Melbourne, Victoria. The family lived at Coburg, Victoria.
1. Alice Elizabeth Maud Newcombe 1905|
2. Gladys Louisa Newcombe 1911
3. James Arthur Lloyd Newcombe 1912
4. Arthur Frederick Newcombe 1922 - 1979
5. Frederick William Lloyd Newcombe 1917
6. Ivy Lloyd Newcombe 1920
7. Blanche Lloyd Newcombe 1882 wed 1905 in Richmond, Vic to Charles Henry Filer born Abt. 1880. (Could be Charles Henry Filer 1878 #3902 son of Frances Noakes and Edwin Filer born in Melbourne)
1. Edna Blanch Filer 1914 - 1953.|
2. Twins Eric and Roy born and died 1915
9. Amy Louise Lloyd Newcombe 1887 wed 1911 in Richmond, Vic to John Leslie McGowan born Abt. 1884. He could be John Leslie McGowan 1883 #13841 son of Emma Davies and John McGowan born at Ballarat.
1. Raymond James Robert John McGowan 1911 - 1966.|
2. Kelvin Herbert McGowan 1915 - 1966
|10. Harold Lloyd Newcombe 15 July 1891 - buried 11 Aug 1961 wed 1913 in Carlton, Victoria, to Elsie May Downer c1892 - buried 5 Dec 1961 daughter of Isabella Martha Jessop and Frederick Downer. Harold drove steam engines for the Victorian Railways. He divorced Elsie May around 1928 and later remarried 1931 to Irene Hannaford c1900 - 30 Dec 1997 and had 2 daughters by his second wife.|
1. Keith Frederick Newcombe 1913 - 2004|
2. Berryl Ida Newcombe 1915 - 1985
3. Lila Newcombe 1916 - 1920
4. Arthur Harold Newcombe 1920 - 1968
5. Ronald James Newcombe .
Generation No. 5 etc
Not included here, as it involves people born after 1920
The family now proudly has the newest member of Generation 8,
Felix Charles Daniel GILMOUR, b. November 24, 2004, Carlton, Victoria.
I suspect Felix was born 2003.
Update Thu, 9 Dec 2004 - Yes Felix has enjoyed his first birthday now, and Stan Gilmour, great grandfather of Felix, also enjoyed a recent birthday - his ninety eighth!
Thankyou Ross, for this page
|Please Email me.
Home, Nalder or Next is O
Began 1st Nov, 1998.