New Conservative |
![]() |
Stanley T. Smiths' |
![]() |
Join For FREE |
A privately run Free publication to inform and unite the right |
The New Conservative |
![]() |
![]() |
Toronto, Ontario |
![]() |
Todays Top Stories |
![]() |
CANADIAN LINKS |
Did you enjoy or find these articles informative? Would you like to join our group? Would you like to receive our e-mail daily update? Just post a message and we will get back to you. All information will be treated as confidential. |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
International |
Election Breakdown |
![]() |
Supreme Court Judges |
Squabble over Liberal convention ends Canadian Press--Globe & Mail--Jan.26, 2001 Ottawa - Supporters of Prime Minister Jean Chrétien and Finance Minister Paul Martin have reached a deal that will likely see the next Liberal party convention - and leadership review - held in the fall of 2002. The agreement, hammered out by party officials Friday, averted a potentially nasty battle that had been shaping up between rival factions on the Liberal national executive. Martin forces had been arguing for an earlier convention date, hoping that would put pressure on the 67-year-old Mr. Chrétien to decide on a retirement date as soon as possible. Chrétien loyalists had been trying to put off the convention, arguing that the prime minister should be free to decide his future without pressure from would-be successors. "Everybody put some water in their wine for the benefit of the party," Liberal president Stephen LeDrew said late Friday. Under the compromise - expected to be officially ratified by the party executive at a meeting Saturday - a subcommittee will be struck to plan the next convention. It must be held, at the latest, by Jan. 31, 2003. But a convention during the Christmas-New Year holiday period is unlikely, so the gathering will probably be held in the autumn of 2002. The final date will be set only after consultation with Chrétien. Hardliners in the Martin camp initially insisted the convention be held no later than March 2002, while the Chrétien camp had been holding out for the spring of 2003. Some Martin backers continued to insist Friday they had won the battle, maintaining the prime minister is now boxed in and can't avoid a leadership review at a time of Mr. Martin's choosing. They claimed their ultimate goal had always been to force a convention sometime in 2002 - whatever the month - and keep Mr. Chrétien from going into a third year of his current mandate without a leadership review. "The Chrétien people decided it didn't make sense to force a showdown," crowed one Martin organizer. Chrétien loyalists dismissed that version of events, saying it really doesn't matter to the prime minister when the next convention is held. "It will not affect his decision on whether to run or not run again," said one supporter. "The prime minister feels quite confident that much of the kerfuffle that existed in the party (over his leadership) has disappeared." At the last Liberal convention, in March 2000, Martin forces tried to put pressure on Mr. Chrétien to step down and make way for their man. Mr. Chrétien beat back that challenge with ease and went on to lead the party to a third straight majority government in last November's general election. Few expect him to seek a fourth mandate - he would be over 70 by then - but he has pointedly refused to rule out the possibility. Earlier this week, Mr. Chrétien goaded Martin partisans by noting publicly that he had nearly decided to retire a year ago. Then, he went on with a smile, "I suddenly decided I like the job." He also airily dismissed the debate raging within the party on the timing of the next convention. "For me, I'd like to have it next month," he said. "But it's not practical." Mr. Chrétien's reluctance to set a timetable for his departure is seen by many Liberals as a none-too-subtle threat to hang on as long as possible, just to block Mr. Martin from succeeding him. Most of those supporting the finance minister believe that the sooner Mr. Chrétien leaves and a leadership contest is held, the easier it will be for Mr. Martin - the acknowledged frontrunner - to replace him. Pushing the contest back a year or two would give more time to other contenders, like Health Minister Allan Rock and Industry Minister Brian Tobin, to organize their campaigns. |