This FAQ is designed to answer the most common questions people have about Quest for Glory 2: Trial By Fire. For a
more comprehensive set of game hints, visit the Hints page. This FAQ
has been compiled from various sources, including hints and walkthroughs, questions most
frequently asked on the FACS message board, QFG anthology and collection readme files etc.
If there are additional questions that you think should be on this FAQ, feel free to
Where do I type the commands in?
- If you're not used to "parser" games and "can't find an icon to do things in the game", don't worry.
- Just start typing your commands on the keyboard and you'll see what you typed appear on the screen.
- Press the ENTER key to have the game respond to your commands.
What is that "Silly Clowns" menu item?
- Random funny stuff that won't affect gameplay.
- You'll see King Arthur (from the "Conquests of Camelot" Sierra game) facedown in the desert sand. You'll see the "Persian golfer" in the desert. You also might see Harpo wandering the streets on day 3.
- From Corey Cole on Compuserve, Friday July 19, 1996:
"The 'silly clowns' option came up because the programmers were sitting
around late one night and someone mentioned how all the productivity software
(spreadsheets and stuff) always seemed to have at least one menu item that
did absolutely nothing. (I guess the idea was that they would implement
those features in later versions.)
So we resolved to have a menu option in QG2 that did nothing. I fear I
spoiled the purity of the concept a bit by making some of the sillier
encounters and death animation dependent on whether Silly Clowns were
What spells will a newly created character in QFG2 have?
A newly created Magic User starts out with 7 spells: Open, Detect Magic,
Trigger, Zap, Calm, Flame Dart, and Fetch. During the game, this character will
have the chance to purchase (from Keapon Laffin's magic shop): Levitate, Dazzle, and Force Bolt.
A newly created Fighter / Thief with magic assigned during character creation will
have 5 spells: Open, Zap, Calm, Flame Dart, and Fetch. For this hybrid
character to complete the WIT
tests without locking up, he will need to purchase the following spells
(from Keapon Laffin's magic
shop): Trigger, Detect Magic, Levitate, Dazzle, and Force Bolt.
I'm a magic-using Fighter. How can I cast spells during combat?
- The shield is preventing you from casting any spells in close combat.
- You can drop shield just before the
monster closes in on you, and then spells should work. Remember to
pick up shield after the battle though!
- Also, you can always cast spells when the monster is at a distance.
My Experience points have turned negative! What gives?
- This is an artifact of how the game stores Experience points - as a 16-bit signed
- As a result, after your experience reaches to 32767, it wraps around to -32768.
- With a lot of effort, you could raise it again into the positives.
- However, this is pointless as the Experience score does not affect gameplay at
all and can be safely ignored.
The afternoon hours just drag on and on while I wait for night to fall.
- Adjust the time scale from the menu to the fastest setting.
The original documentation says "Your Saurus will fight for you", but mine runs away instead. Is this a bug?
- No, yours is not a true saurus; it's an enchanted man.
- After the fight, if you exit the screen and come back to it, you should find it
waiting for you.
Where are the Thieves' Guilds in Shapeir and Raseir?
- There is no Thieves' Guild in either Shapeir or Raseir. There are people you can talk to about the use of your skills, though.
- One may well have already robbed you, depending on how cautious you were on the first day, and the other, the one in Raseir, is mentioned to you by the first.
- Dinarzaad, the money changer,
is Shapeir's closest equivalent to the guild. Make the Thief sign to her, and she will take care of you.
- In Raseir, talk to Signor Ferrari at the Blue Parrot Inn.
I'm unable to walk around at the beginning of the game.
- Type STAND and press ENTER. Now you'll stand and walk.
I keep getting the message "You must lure the Fire Elemental further into the alley" when fighting the fire elemental. What now?
- You must buy only one bag of incense.
- If you buy more than one bag, drop all but one bag before luring the fire elemental into the alleyway.
- Then, after luring the fire elemental into the alleyway, type USE INCENSE,
then DROP LAMP, then USE WATER.
What do I use to capture the Earth Elemental in? I've tried the pot, but that doesn't seem to work,
and the elemental reappears again in the streets.
I tried to GIVE THE GHOUL CLAWS to Harik at the Apothecary, but he doesn't seem to take them. What do I do?
- Try SELL CLAWS or BARGAIN CLAWS instead.
I have three dispel potions, but I only used up one. What are the other two for?
- The extra two were provided in case you falter in its correct usage (ie. adding freshly plucked hair) the first time.
- Harik prepares a special dispel potion to dispel the Emir's enchantment at the end of game. So you don't need to save up one for that.
I'm trying to pass the EOF test. My Hero has broken the chains, but he won't go
anywhere. What now?
- You need to dodge past the fighter. For this, you should have at least
a Dodge skill level of 150.
- Keep dodging to the right using the arrow keys. That'll eventually let
you slip past him, and get to the sword and shield from across the room.
What is the 5 W's puzzle / Dervish's puzzle? How do I solve it?
- The Dervish at the Oasis will tell you about the puzzle around day 12. Ask him the What, When, Who, Why and Where of the puzzle.
- This puzzle is not neccessary to complete the game, but solving it will give you some
information about what is going on in Raseir, as well as help you gain Aziza's respect.
- The hints section has more help on how to solve the puzzle.
At night, after defeating and looting a pack of jackalmen, sometimes the game
crashes with a "Oops. You've done something we didn't expect you to do!" error. What did I do?
- This is a known bug that happens occassionally when encountering jackalmen.
- Make sure you save when you first encounter a pack in the desert, and then engage
them in combat.
- Try to leave the screen afterwards, and if the game crashes, simply restore and run awy
from the encounter.
- You'll still be able to fight jackalmen most of the time, as the crash only happens
I heard something about a pair of X-ray glasses. Do I need them? Where can I get them?
- The X-ray glasses simply reveal an easter egg. They are not needed to finish the game.
- You can buy them from Keapon Laffin at his magic shop.
- Now wear them before you give your spare clothes to Zayishah in
Raseir for an uncensored look through the veil
while she's changing!
- Wearing / removing the glasses in other situations also sometimes elicit funny responses
from the game.
What is the name of power? I'm stuck at the door to Iblis' cave in the Forbidden city.
- To open the door, you will need to say the name of the one who bound Iblis.
- You have three tries to get it right.
- Did you listen well when Ad Avis said the prophecy?
- Read the Land of Shapeir Background and History Section in your Famous Adventurer's Correspondence School Manual.
- Answer Suleiman and pass through the
I've reached the
balcony outside the chamber where Ad Avis is performing the Iblis Summoning Ritual.
How do I stop him?
- This is the Thief's ending. This will work only if you have some spare daggers and
the Throwing skill (in addition to the Magic Rope).
- Fighters and Wizards should take the direct approach in entering the palace.
- Restore a saved game to before you entered the Raseirian palace
and go through the front door. Use your skills to get rid of or distract the guards.
As a fighter, when I jump down from the balcony, I am supposed to confront and fight Khaveen.
However, he summons the guards and my game ends! What gives?
- The game may be getting confused about your character class if you have
- Make sure you have the fighter's shield in the inventory. If not,
you may have to use the cheats to add one.
- If you have magic,
use a Calm spell instead.
I'm playing as a Fighter. However, I'm unable to kick the unlit candle to
stop Ad Avis in the Ritual chamber. What's wrong?
At the end of QFG2, it says that the next game is Shadows of Darkness. Is that correct?
- Nope. At the time when Trial By Fire was released, the Coles had planned to do the games, as a four part series,
representing the four seasons, elementals and compass points.
- Shadows of Darkness, set in fall time, was intended to continue where QFG2
left off according to this plan.
- However, the Coles felt that the hero had not matured enough for the gothic, Transylvanian
setting of Shadows of Darkness. Coupled with the slowdown in QFG sales (due to
Coles having taken a break to do educational games) as well the suggestion of a friend to
explore the African setting, the Coles decide to insert a new chapter.
- Quest for Glory 3: Wages of War was born and continued the story of our Hero
in the land of Tarna.
- Here's what Lori had to say about this change in an article in the Fall 1992 issue of Sierra's
"The original third chapter was to be Shadows of Darkness, set in Transylvania - the
East - and in the Fall, using Air as the central element...
Wages of War is the bridge. You start with people you know to help you along in the beginning. But when push comes to shove, you're the one who's on his own, who has to solve the ultimate mystery. As you go along, just when you think you're all alone, your allies have come back to you, but you have to face the final challenge by yourself."
How can I become a Paladin in this game?