Music ala Brass
Essays on Brass Physics in the 90's by Nick Drozdoff
Mr. D's MusicThis is where information on Embouchure Design can be found.
This web site is dedicated to the promotion of the understanding of brasswind musical instruments and acoustic music in general. Please note that this site is currently somewhat inactive and will be undergoing some modifications in the near future.
These are a collection of essays by Nick Drozdoff on everything from how trumpets work to how to create gigs for yourself. Drozdoff has written essays for
publications as well.In addition to this, Drozdoff has written a trumpet method book, "Embouchure Design", and has also released a CD, "Junk Yard Brass", on which he performs all of the brass parts (up to 24 different tracks). For more information on this, email
Nicholas Drozdoff firstname.lastname@example.org
Nick Drozdoff is a Chicago area professional trumpeter, educator and physicist. For more on his background see his background page.
Following is a list of topics, essays, pictures that are in this site. This is essentially a table of contents.
The reader should always beware of things that he/she finds on the internet. Anyone with a computer and a modem can set himself/herself up as an expert and claim credentials that may be non-existent and nobody would know the difference.
In the case of this site the reader is invited to double check the credentials. Most importatnly, however, is to dig the imformation up for yourself as well as reading this site. The references used are not always cited clearly in these pages. However, they are all listed in the "Suggested Reading" page. You should be sure to check out those books and articles for yourself to verify the accuracy of the interpretations offered in this web site.
- Essay #1:Physics of Open Ended Tubes
- Essay #2:Physics of Closed End Tubes
- Essay #3:Understanding the Overtone Series of an Open Ended Pipe
- Essay #4: "The Physics of Brasses" or "Why A Trumpet Works The Way It Does"
- Essay AddendumHandstopping on French Horn The Truth Comes Out!
- Mouthpiece Buzzing Confusion ExploredNote: This article has been edited to reflect some corrections made by expert readers.
- "Earplugs and The Brass Player"
- "Should I Buy A Fourteen Pound Trumpet at a Grand Per Pound?"
This is a list of people who excel in music and another area or have found that music has touched their lives in a way that has enhanced their abilities elsewhere.
- Suggested Reading
- Drozdoff's Music Teachers
- Partial Recorded Repertoire List for Nick Drozdoff
- Drozdoff's Jazz Instructor, Rich Corpolongo
- More writings by Drozdoff in Windplayer's Trumpet Masterclass Book
The Mystery Tune!Can you unravel the mystery? Are you up to the challenge?
It's here! Mr. D has just entered the world of Ampcast.com!
The New "Mr. D's Music"is where his new MP3 site is located. Check it out!
- Educational and Professional Background
- Performance Credits
- "How To Make Your Own One Man Band Recording, or How To Make Your Own CD"...the making of "Junk Yard Brass"
- Samples of Drozdoff's Playing
- "How to deal with getting work as an acoustic musician (particularly as a brass player) in the 90's and beyond."
Physics Education Related Links
Thank you for your interest
I have included a little philosophical essay that I have called "Drozdoff's Musician's Manifesto". I suppose that this is a little pompous, but I think that all acoustic musicians need to be alert. Read it if you wish.
Want to join the The Official Trumpet Webring?
|[Skip Prev] [Prev] [Next] [Skip Next] [Random] [Next 5] [List Sites]|