Welford Road Cemetery

James Page

James Page had the honour of being the first to be interred in the cemetery
(28 June 1849).
By trade Mr Page was a hosier who lived in Wellington Street. He was elected to serve on the Town Council as a representative for East St Mary's Ward in 1836.

Thomas Partridge

In affectionate remembrance
of Sarah
the beloved wife of
Thomas Partridge
(of Granby Street)
who departed this life
June 9 1863 in the 46th year of her age.
Sacred to the memory of
Thomas Partridge
of Granby Street
who departed this life
the 21st day of June 1868
aged 50 years.
Deeply lamented by
all who knew him.

Thomas Partridge was a fishmonger and game dealer with a shop at 26 Granby Street.

The Pegg Memorial

James Pike 1817-1876

Born in Derby, James Pike's father was a Baptist minister who had founded the General Baptist Missionary Society the year before James' birth. At an early age James entered the Baptist Church College at Stepney in London, and at the age of 21 was sent to Wisbech where he ministered until the death of his wife in 1851. The following year he came to Leicester and took over the ministry of Friar Lane Chapel. On the death of his Father in 1855, he became the General Secretary of the Baptist Missionary Society. In 1873 he became very ill and his health gradually declined
until he died at his Fosse Road home in August 1876.

Francis Ptacek

Although much of the inscription is eroded,
part can still be discerned:

An accomplished musician he was endeared
to his many pupils and to all who knew him,
not more by his varied attainments than by his honesty and frankness and by the warmth of his attainments. Those who now sorrow over his grave may well say he came among us as a stranger and
he departed leaving many warm
and devoted friends.

Francis Ptacek, a member of the Prague Conservatoire, came to Leicester, on the invitation of Major Neal, whose wife was Czech, to take over the militia band in 1854. As well as his band and teaching commitments Ptacek also promoted concerts of popular music in the New Hall. He was also a composer and wrote such pieces as the overture Glengarrif and Sounds from Charnwood, a waltz that included the song ‘Old John of Bradgate Park’, which he dedicated to Mrs Thomas T. Paget. He also found time
to be organist of St George's church.

In December 1867 the people of Leicester showed their esteem of Ptacek by giving
him a benefit concert in the Temperance Hall. During the evening he was presented with a purse, made by Mrs Neal, containing 150 guineas ‘as an acknowledgement of twelve years’ work in cultivating the musical taste of the town’. The 200 performers included
his band and the New Orpheus Society, of which he was conductor.

Francis Ptacek was also the Music critic of The Bee, a local weekly sports and entertainment magazine. It was in this publication that, in 1882, Ptacek stated that he thought Leicester should be able to support a band of about thirty to play every day in the newly-opened Abbey Park. The expenses of such a band, he contended, could be met by the sale of programmes and a subscription list. The band, Ptacek believed, could be run on the same lines as the Militia band with the Mayor being considered the Colonel and the Aldermen and Councillors the majors and captains. An idea which,
needless to say, never caught on.

The news of Ptacek's death was received with great sadness in Leicester, especially
as it was so unexpected. He had gone to Kent to spend Christmas with his friend Herr Sawerthal, Bandmaster of the Royal Engineers and, as he was preparing to
come home, he suffered a fatal heart attack.

Return to Welford Road Cemetery Index of Monuments

Continue the tour

© 2001 Leicester Research