A Photo History of East Greenwich

Welcome to East Greenwich

The town of East Greenwich was incorporated on October 31, 1677. It is 99 years older than the United States. The town was named after East Greenwich which is in the County of Kent in England. In June of 1688, the town's name was changed to Dedford. The town became east Greenwich again in 1689. East Greenwich spread from Narragansett Bay to Connecticut until West Greenwich was created in 1741.

e-mail | next


Hill and Harbour District

This is downtown East Greenwich where most of the historic buildings are located. It is located between Division Street and First Avenue.

Hill and Harbour District

next | previous | e-mail


Greenwich Cove

Greenwich Cove

Tall ships used to sail into Greenwich Cove bringing goods from all over the world to East Greenwich.

next | previous | home | e-mail


Tarbox House 1738

Tarbox House is located at the corner of Middle Road and Carrs Pond Road.

Tarbox House

next | previous | home | e-mail


The Brick House 1767

The Brick House

This building's real name is the Colonel Micah Whitmarsh House. It was the first brick building in East Greenwich and was built by John Reynolds. In 1967, there was the possibility that the building would be torn down so that a parking lot could be built. The East Greenwich Preservation Society was founded to help protect this and other historic buildings in the town. Micah Whitmarsh owned the house from 1773 until 1845. He was a member of the Kentish Guards and was a part of Varnum's Brigade at Valley Forge.

next | previous | home | e-mail


Dr. Eldredge House 1773

The Dr. Eldredge House was built by a John Reynolds. In 1788, the house was bought by Nathan Greene. He opened the first tannery in the town there. Dr. Charles Eldredge bought the house in 1816. His office was in the basement. In 1838, his son, Dr. James Eldredge, took over th office. after Charles died, the house was given to James.

Dr. Eldredge House

Dr. Eldredge House

next | previous | home | e-mail


The General Varnum House 1773

The General Varnum House

The General Varnum House

General James Mitchell Varnum was a general during the Revolutionary War. He bought the land that his home is on from John Peirce for ninety dollars. General Layfayette visited the house many times. In 1939, the house was bought by the Varnum Continentals and made into a museum.

next | previous | home | e-mail


Dr. Peter Turner House 1774

This House was bought by Dr. Peter Turner in 1783. He had been an army surgeon during the Revolutionary War. His office was in the basement of the house. He used a small room that was like a root cellar to keep his medicines and herbs in. Dr. Turner lived in the house until he died in 1822.

Dr. Peter Turner House

next | previous | home | e-mail


Customs House 1790

Customs House

At the Customs House goods that were brought into town on ships would be taxed. The customs officer would also search ships for illegal items.

next | previous | home | e-mail


Second Kent County Jail 1795

This building was used as a jail for 150 years. It originally contained a living area for the jailer and his or her family and cells where the prisoners were kept. There used to ve two carved woodd figures on the fromt of the building. One carving represented a criminal who was black and the other a criminal who was white. The carvings showed how everyone was given equal justice. In Jone of 1957, the jail was closed and the property was given back to the town of East Greenwich. Today the building is no longer a jail, it is now the home of The East Greenwich Preservation Society.

Everlin Place Smith

When she was ten years-old, she came to live at the jail with her family. Her father, John H. Place was the jailer. Everlin married Jotham Smith who became the jailer. After her husband died, Everlin became the jailer and she was the only woman jailer in the United States. she was the jailer at the Kent County Jail for over 50 years.

Second Kent County Jail

next | previous | home | e-mail


Site Last Updated Sunday, July 10, 2005. 14:03:20 1