Residents in Sooke are concerned about the imminent tax hikes to pay for the new sewer system.

powered by FreeFind

Frequently Asked Questions

Councils Agenda for a Sewer System Proposal

Taxes & Costs

State of the Environment

Contact WRATH

Take Action! What you can do!

Calendar of Events & Special Dates

The Referendum

The Alternatives

Letters written and who to write

Contact Council

Published Articles

CMHC program may offer some relief for sewer hook-up
By Nikki Lewers, Sooke News Mirror April 18, 2001

Property owners living in the specified sewer area with low incomes may qualify for assistance in hooking up to a sewer system through Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation. CMHC has a maximum forgivable loan of $12,000 which property owners may apply for to assist in hooking up to a sewer system when a municipality like Sooke requires hook-up, CMHC client service representative Kim McLean said.

"The program is generally designed to assist those that are in severe financial distress," McLean said. "That normally applies to perhaps people with disabilities who are limited to disability pensions or allowances from the provincial or federal governments, seniors citizens who are on tight pensions, people who just lost their job and are currently unemployed, people on social assistance, single parents raising children on their own on a limited income...."Itís generally those that are suffering severe financial distress."

The forgivable loan is based on a personís income. For a single person or married couple living alone in a home the maximum income to qualify is $24,500. That increases incrementally for each child in the home. To qualify for the maximum, you must make $14,700 or less gross per year.

And, funding depends on the budget available at CMHC and how many people are waiting in line.

For information contact CMHC at 1-800-639-3938.



Sewer Proposal



Contact WRATH