World War II 1939-1945
Accounts of all three campaigns ( invasions of Vella Lavella, Treasuries and Green Islands)carried out in the Solomons by this largely forgotten unit are now posted.
These are taken with thanks from Ray Munro's book, see below.
18th September 2003 is the 60th Anniversary of NZ 14 Brigade invasion of Vella Lavella in 1943.
- Timeline in the SW Pacific 1941-1944 plus map of Solomon Islands.
- 3rd Division Troopship Movements 1939-1944, plus other related WWII events in SW Pacific and NZ region, from Ray Munro's book.
- North to the Solomons, August 1943
- 14th Brigade Invasion of Vella Lavella, September 1943
- 8th Brigade. Invasion of Treasury Islands, October 1943
- 14th. Brigade. Invasion of Green Islands, February 1944
- NZ Herald 13, March, 1944 more detailed account of 3rd Division action on Nissan Island, Green Islands group 19, 20, February, 1944.
Ray Munro's excellent 120 page illustrated self published book, "3rd NZ Division, 2 NZEFIP 1940-44", can be purchased from Ray, write to R.D. Munro, 76b Martin Street, Upper Hutt, New Zealand. Cost $20 in NZ and NZ$20 plus NZ$6.50 airmail if ordering in Australia.
news-photos, maps, watercolours etc from 1940-44
From NZ, Fiji, New Caledonia and Solomons (updated August 2004)
35 Battalion rolls, Excel file for download.
This site started in 2000 by Warwick Hughes, son of one of "The Pineapple Fusilliers", if anyone has or knows of photographs or other material that could help build this site, please contact me on wshughes (at sign) iinet.net.au
This background image is of a Xmas card sent
home from the Solomon's Dec, 1943, autographs